Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2016, 11:51 AM   #21
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess just goes to show you that "deleting files" or "factory reset" != the data is still there.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:58 AM   #22
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure why this is so hard for manufacturers. Have a factory reset that securely wipes all user data space. Make the user input their google or Apple password to access it. Bam. done.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 12:10 PM   #23
FlamesPuck12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'm not sure why this is so hard for manufacturers. Have a factory reset that securely wipes all user data space. Make the user input their google or Apple password to access it. Bam. done.
Only if it was this simple to completely wipe bits of the storage device.
FlamesPuck12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesPuck12 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2016, 12:25 PM   #24
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's the issue? It's flash memory. There are fairly standard ways of wiping these. OK, nothing is 100%, but for those people crushing the phone is the only option. For the average person secure wiping user data shouldn't be that hard.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:44 PM   #25
FlamesPuck12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
What's the issue? It's flash memory. There are fairly standard ways of wiping these. OK, nothing is 100%, but for those people crushing the phone is the only option. For the average person secure wiping user data shouldn't be that hard.
I agree, that's why at least on iOS, they have the "Erase All Content and Settings" which does exactly that.

I've never owned an Android so I don't know if they have something equivalent to it.
FlamesPuck12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 01:49 PM   #26
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How does the average person securely wipe data?
Old 01-27-2016, 01:56 PM   #27
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well that's what I'm saying, it should be made easy. You go to do a reset, and the OS runs a secure wipe. The average user shouldn't have to know or care HOW it's done, just that when you select that, it happens. As for the technical aspects, it's not that hard, there are loads of programs that do it. Build that into the OS.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:28 PM   #28
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well that's what I'm saying, it should be made easy. You go to do a reset, and the OS runs a secure wipe. The average user shouldn't have to know or care HOW it's done, just that when you select that, it happens. As for the technical aspects, it's not that hard, there are loads of programs that do it. Build that into the OS.
I don't honestly know the details on why they don't (I guess varies partitions of data have to have some sort of EOF or something flag?) but besides the potential difficulties, why would they do that? Their whole business is getting their customers to buy a new phone every 2 years and sell as many phones as possible, not to make it easy for you to buy or sell 2nd hand, taking away from their profits.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:39 PM   #29
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's in their interests, to though. If you make it easy, people are more likely to churn through phones. Apple has buyback programs becuase they know they can sell shiny new products. It's not like it is a big technological challenge here, and I'm sure in a few years it will be a standard feature.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:11 PM   #30
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

A low level wipe takes a lot longer than a simple re-format. In the cases where something more than a simple re-format is needed, that's when I typically do something a little more sophisticated.

In the example that brought up this line of discussion, I am pretty sure in Android 4.X there are two different wipe settings within the menu, one preserves application data. That can be useful if you are just trying to get rid of malware and not trying to remove all data. It sounds like the person selling in that case just picked the wrong option.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 02:09 PM   #31
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Factory reset may or may not wipe all your Android usr data. They suggest this:

Quote:
√"If you plan to resell or discard your device and you haven't already, encrypt it and then perform a factory reset," Android security lead engineer Adrian Ludwig said.

- Encrypt the data on your smartphone prior to putting it up for sale or disposing it. To do this, head to Settings > Security > Encrypt Phone.
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/55...e-solution.htm
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post: