Should be able to watch it here at 10am local time:

http://www.blizzgc.com/en-gb/?utm_so...amescom_stream

Hope it's a good one . . .

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:08 PM   #2
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

They really should just release a new game at this point. The last 2 xpacs have just been lipstick on a pig.

Give me a new economy, world, quests, etc. Even if it's just a re-hash of the last game (ie WoW2), it's still better than desperately clinging to a game released in two-thousand-goddamn-four.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2015, 03:15 PM   #3
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

The subscriber drop. The piss poor expansion they just released. Them trying so hard to sell it as something amazing, blatantly ignoring the fact that everyone saw through the pitch. The quick abort of this expac and starting on the next one for the last 6 months while a terrible gaming experience was sitting out there.

They've damaged the trust with their playerbase regarding this product imo.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:21 PM   #4
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

That's still a pretty impressive subscriber base.

As as MMO's go, I would still say that Warcraft is the undisputed champion of the genre.

I wonder if their expansion announcement is going to be similar to the new expansion for KOTR, where they will basically create a whole new story line with whole new mechanics and worlds to play in?

As long as they don't do something disastrous like they did when they revamped Star Wars galaxies and the subscriptions went into the toilet.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:25 PM   #5
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's an impressive sub base for an MMO, there's no doubt. It's also half of what it was 6 months ago and puts them solidly back onto the track of a dying product.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:53 PM   #6
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I don't know if I agree with that, a 5 million person subscription base is pretty massive, and they're probably making a hefty profit.

I guess the logical next step if it drops low enough is to offer a free to play model, and generate revenue through micro transactions.

The benefits would be that they would get a flood of new users, and out of those people would want to buy the advantages that the subscribers have eventually.

Old 08-04-2015, 03:53 PM   #7
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Yea at some point I was hoping WOW would come crumbling down so they could do something else with the franchise. Either a MMO sequel or maybe a Warcraft 4.

But even at its weakest point since 2006 it is still over 5 mill subs. That is very impressive.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:03 PM   #8
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I don't know if I agree with that, a 5 million person subscription base is pretty massive, and they're probably making a hefty profit.

I guess the logical next step if it drops low enough is to offer a free to play model, and generate revenue through micro transactions.

The benefits would be that they would get a flood of new users, and out of those people would want to buy the advantages that the subscribers have eventually.
They're doing well, but that doesn't mean it's not a dying product. Additionally, Blizzard is doing just fine even with the bleeding of subs for their flagship. They have enough in their stable now that they won't need to cater to Warcraft and that doesn't really bode well for the product.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:05 PM   #9
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Final Fantasy XIV just climbed over 5 million subscribers in July too -- seems that soon, for the first time in a decade, WoW won't be the MMORPG king.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 04:13 PM   #10
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

top 10 list of the healthiest MMO's

http://massivelyop.com/2015/06/11/pe...est-live-mmos/

Old 08-04-2015, 04:16 PM   #11
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I must have it!
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:55 PM   #12
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
They really should just release a new game at this point. The last 2 xpacs have just been lipstick on a pig.

Give me a new economy, world, quests, etc. Even if it's just a re-hash of the last game (ie WoW2), it's still better than desperately clinging to a game released in two-thousand-goddamn-four.
MoP is seriously underrated. It's by far the best of the three post-WotLK expacs, and I think it even surpasses TBC.

WoD is just awful. I can't remember being mad at Blizzard for so many different things. Usually I'm the biggest Blizz supporter around, but man, it's just not good.

I somewhat agree with a brand new game, but I think there's still some story left to be told. One expansion to tell the tale of Azshara and N'zoth, and the grand finale with the burning legion and Sargeras.

I'd love an emerald dream wrap-up at some point as well. But really, they need to do it well, and keep the lore contained in the game - so many important events happen in novels or books these days that the game itself is really disjointed.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:58 PM   #13
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow. Had no idea it was still that popular after 10 years
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:59 AM   #14
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just remember the 5 million includes players subscribed with tokens which they bought with in game gold that they probably had plenty of over the years, these players may not still be subbed if they were paying money.

Tomorrow is a make or break day for me and WoW, someone hold me.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:01 AM   #15
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its interesting that the WOW press conference is coming a day after a SWTOR press conference and release of a new trailer for their mega expansion including sample game play.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:08 AM   #16
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Its interesting that the WOW press conference is coming a day after a SWTOR press conference and release of a new trailer for their mega expansion including sample game play.
It's pretty standard Blizzard practice. Their latest patch and raid came at the same time as the FF14 expansion. Major patches are often released at or around the same time as other game major releases.

Wrath of the Lich King was supposed to come out the same time as Warhammer Online, but Warhammer got rushed forward instead (according to rumour)

Last edited by nik-; 08-05-2015 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:16 AM   #17
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
The subscriber drop. The piss poor expansion they just released. Them trying so hard to sell it as something amazing, blatantly ignoring the fact that everyone saw through the pitch. The quick abort of this expac and starting on the next one for the last 6 months while a terrible gaming experience was sitting out there.

They've damaged the trust with their playerbase regarding this product imo.
They've been saying for a long time how they'd like to release expansions at a faster pace. I'm glad they're actually trying to do it for once.

Quote:
I doubt there's much behind the timing there. I think Blizzard would be more concerned with FFXIV than SWTOR.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:19 AM   #18
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
They've been saying for a long time how they'd like to release expansions at a faster pace. I'm glad they're actually trying to do it for once.
See, I don't actually think this is a good idea. It's good for Blizzard's bottom line, but as a player, it really doesn't do anything for us. All it's going to lead to is a bunch more WoD's where they spend a year working on it, then release it, and immediately go skeleton crew on it to work on the next one and then repeat. It will also increase the feeling of "everything I'm doing is pointless because new expansion in 8/6/4 months". That feeling is always sort of present in MMO's, but this will exacerbate it.

They say it's because they want to release more content, but there's nothing stopping them from releasing more content in the current expansion. 18 months is absolutely fine for an expansion's lifespan.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:38 AM   #19
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
Just remember the 5 million includes players subscribed with tokens which they bought with in game gold that they probably had plenty of over the years, these players may not still be subbed if they were paying money.

Tomorrow is a make or break day for me and WoW, someone hold me.
Yeah, I resubbed after over a year using just my in game gold.

Looked around, saw all the mechanics had changed, spent a day or two trying to figure out how to play again, then decided I didn't have the heart for the grind anymore and haven't logged in since.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:40 AM   #20
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
See, I don't actually think this is a good idea. It's good for Blizzard's bottom line, but as a player, it really doesn't do anything for us. All it's going to lead to is a bunch more WoD's where they spend a year working on it, then release it, and immediately go skeleton crew on it to work on the next one and then repeat. It will also increase the feeling of "everything I'm doing is pointless because new expansion in 8/6/4 months". That feeling is always sort of present in MMO's, but this will exacerbate it.

They say it's because they want to release more content, but there's nothing stopping them from releasing more content in the current expansion. 18 months is absolutely fine for an expansion's lifespan.
I disagree. The only content released after an expansion is end game material, generally in the form of raids and dailies. This is not compelling content to keep the majority of people in WoW playing. I may have stayed subscribed all the way through TBC and Wrath, but I sure as hell was not playing much by the end of either. I doubt many people were saying "oh man, I'm so glad they released the Ruby Sanctum, that sure kept me excited to log in to the game for another 6 months while waiting for Cataclysm! Icecrown Citadel hasn't been run into the ground yet or anything!"

I learned my lesson in Cataclysm, and un-subscribed as soon as I got bored of the first raid tier.

The leveling experience in Warlords of Draenor was the best they've ever done, period. I want more of that.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote