Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2013, 10:29 AM   #41
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
He reminds me a lot of a young Dan Boyle. If he can turn into anything close to that, that would be awesome.
Great comparison, definitely showing lots of smarts at both ends of the ice and a real opportunist - attacking, defending, hitting, etc. And yes Brodie is a big reason why Wideman looks good. He's been awesome.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:35 PM   #42
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry for the long ad at the beginning

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:48 PM   #43
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

There's three players on the Flames that aren't a minus this season. Stajan, Stempniak.... and Brodie. That's quite an accomplishment for a team that has a 0.77 5-on-5 Goals For/Against Ratio. Only the Islanders and the Panthers are worse in that regard.

Brodie's been great, absolutely no complaints here other than the fact that Hartley was silly enough to bench him for the first game of the season.

He's 3rd in points from the defense, with two guys ahead of him making 5.5-6.5M per season, and he's only taken one minor penalty all year. He's never been on the ice for a PP goal against, mostly because Hartley doesn't utilize him as a PK'er at all, which makes no sense to me, considering the team has the 3rd worst PK in the league.

One disappointing aspect I suppose, would be that he logs the 3rd-highest PP time on the team, but has yet to register a PP point.

Basically though, he's a huge bargain.

Last edited by StrykerSteve; 03-14-2013 at 06:01 PM.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #44
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good post SS, I would add to it that Brodie shows excellent hockey sense and, unlike many of his teammates, he is very poised under pressure.

I agree that it would be interesting to see him on the PK - good with his stick, calm with the puck, and is able to skate away from pressure.

The PP points are puzzling but I am sure that they will come as his confidence grows.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:41 PM   #45
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

I remember back in training camp, he would stay out on the ice with Backlund and Baertschi after everyone else had left the ice, just wristing pucks on net, and the guys would try to tip them. I was really excited about the prospect of the three of them (BBB) working that strategy together on the PP in the season.

Sigh.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:41 PM   #46
$ven27
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

For comparison sake, how would you rank him against Phaneuf when he was just entering the league/CHL days?
$ven27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:45 PM   #47
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ven27 View Post
For comparison sake, how would you rank him against Phaneuf when he was just entering the league/CHL days?
Two completely Different players IMO.

Phaneuf when he came in was explosive, hit like a mac truck and had a great shot. Hockey sense was average.

Brodie doesn't hit, positioning is great, passing is top notch and is a very cerebral player.

Both will have nice long careers but I would wager that once all is said and done, Brodie comes out the better over all player.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:32 PM   #48
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ven27 View Post
Phaneuf was physically dominant and was able to be successful simply by relying on his exceptional tools.

Brodie is average size, average shot, good skater. He has to be smart to be successful. But as a 20 year old, simply didn't have the size or strength to be an NHL defensemen.

Phaneuf is what he is -though I think he will learn to be a better defenseman over time.

Brodie will continue to improve, I believe, because he is a smart player and is so poised.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:05 PM   #49
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Phaneuf was physically dominant and was able to be successful simply by relying on his exceptional tools.

Brodie is average size, average shot, good skater. He has to be smart to be successful. But as a 20 year old, simply didn't have the size or strength to be an NHL defensemen.

Phaneuf is what he is -though I think he will learn to be a better defenseman over time.

Brodie will continue to improve, I believe, because he is a smart player and is so poised.
Phaneuf is almost 28. He is what he is, a horrible defenceman in his own zone that can't hit the net in the offensive zone. I doubt he develops any further.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #50
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
Phaneuf is almost 28. He is what he is, a horrible defenceman in his own zone that can't hit the net in the offensive zone. I doubt he develops any further.
I can't think of many NHL defensemen who, through the years 28-34, didn't learn any more about how to play defense.

I hear what you're saying, but everybody learns to some extent (though I agree he is not exactly a stellar student)
Old 03-14-2013, 10:06 PM   #51
Sakari
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Phaneuf is stinky.
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:32 AM   #52
JazzyFlame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Big man's an RFA next year, what will he command? Is he at risk of getting an offer sheet?
JazzyFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:32 AM   #53
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyFlame View Post
Big man's an RFA next year, what will he command? Is he at risk of getting an offer sheet?
Did you really bump a thread just to drum up more hysteria?
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:34 AM   #54
JazzyFlame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Did you really bump a thread just to drum up more hysteria?
No,

I see reading is not a strength.

What will he command? Risk of offer sheet?

Fair questions
JazzyFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:37 AM   #55
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Well, neither is writing if you're going to drop down that sentence after the comma.

Who knows and maybe.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #56
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brodie has the opportunity to be a top pair dman in Calgary much sooner than he would elsewhere. He'll be surrounded by players his age (or younger), have loads of icetime, chance to be a leader and a go-to guy.

I think he signs here for around 4yrs, enough time to re-evaluate where this team's at after some rebuilding, and potentially be worth a lot at that time.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:43 AM   #57
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Article on Brodie in the Herald

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...242/story.html
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #58
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

On one hand I am very happy that he's turning into what looks like one of Darryl Sutter's best draft picks. On the other hand I am a little worried that he's the team's best defensive prospect. The kid is good but he's not going to be an elite guy.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #59
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

No one is going to sign him to an offer sheet. Brodie hasn't done enough to deserve a high value offer sheet. No one is going to potential give up a first rounder in compensation to acquire him.

IMO Brodie will max out as a 2nd pairing defenseman, which is fine.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2013, 09:44 AM   #60
BACKCHECK!!!
First Line Centre

Exp:

Im a little late to the party (nothing new), but just to chime in on the Phaneuf-Brodie comparison...

Phaneuf was nominated for the Calder Trophy. He only lost out because he was competing with both Sydney Crosby AND Alex Ovechkin.

In order to match Phaneuf's early development, Brodie will have to get a Norris nomination.

Phaneuf was un-freakin-believable in his first few years in the NHL.

Then he fell off in a big way, and is, in my opinion, still not as good as he was when he was 22-ish.

Brodie is good. He may someday get better than Phaneuf is now. He might even get better than Phaneuf was in his prime. But hes nowhere near as good as phaneuf was at the same age.