Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Planetside 2

Anyone following this game? Right now, by far my most anticipated in years.

I didn't play the first one, but from the videos I've watched, this game looks unreal. MMOFPS featuring 2000 people per continent, 6000 per server. Persistent, meaningful gameplay. Looks like a combination between Vanilla Alterac Valley, Battlefield, and Halo, but on a massive scale.

Really looks like a game I could dump many hours in. I haven't played something like that in a long time. Closed beta hasn't even started, but you can signup now. Not sure how long it'll be before we get a release date.

http://www.planetside2.com/

Last edited by Ashasx; 07-28-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Played the first one and will definitely be playing this one. I felt that the original Planetside was a little ahead of it's time in terms of concept. I can honestly say that I've never played any other game like it.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

Well, my thread got locked about Planetside 2. This is a beta thread, though, so maybe it should be renamed for the launch.

Just had one of my most amazing video game moments of all time. My faction (Vanu) was pushing back up a slope toward the objective region, about 60 of us. All of the sudden a MASSIVE, absolutely MASSIVE swarm of enemy gunships appear. I mean about 40 of them. All I had to do was look up and shoot a rocket and blow one up there were so many. Needless to say, we were deccimited, pushed back beyond the facility we had come from, onto a bridge spanning a frozen river. The enemy (numbering probably over 100 at this point, with about 60-70 of us holding this bridge) can't make it through. Soon as their armour rolls onto the bridge it's destroyed. So while we're distracted I spot this massive tank column in the distance flanking us, coming down onto the frozen river.

All of the sudden we have players retreating, setting up a massive front across the frozen river. About 20 tanks start rolling across and it's absolute mayhem, player pods shooting down from space in rapid deployment making impact in the middle of it all, but we manage to hold out.

Nothing in gaming compares to the scale and epicness of Planetside 2. Not even close. People say no other gaming experience is equivalent to Battlefield, but Planetside 2 is Battlefield with about 50 times the size of map and battles, tons more depth, and a huge emphasis on team work. It's breathtaking in scope. Also, it's free to play! And not pay to win. Everything is unlockable (except skins) by earning certs through gaining XP and medals.

Last edited by HPLovecraft; 11-23-2012 at 08:31 PM.
HPLovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HPLovecraft For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2012, 10:05 AM   #4
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Think I'd like to give this a try. I have a Radeon HD5770 - with this be good enough? Steam has recommended GPUs starting at HD6870/GeForce 540/

What are you guys using?
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #5
vektor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

We should all play on the same server and play on an outfit together. What are you playing on HP? I played the beta a ton and really loved it
vektor is offline   Reply With Quote