Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-27-2011, 11:05 PM   #61
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey my $200 headphones have outlasted any relationship i've been in by a saskatchewan mile
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:36 PM   #62
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

i use my headphones every day for a hour and a half minimum. also, they come with a lifetime guarantee. presumably ill never buy another pair again.
theonlywhiteout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:56 AM   #63
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
If i ever paid $349 bucks for some headphones I think my wife would gut me.
These ones were a gift from my fiance

But yeah, they're too expensive. Despite the audiophile hate for them, they've got a really engaging and "fun" sound and if you're just looking to enjoy your music, not everyone needs a perfectly flat response and proper bass decay, etc.

That said, it looks like you can get better sounding cans and and amp for the same price as the Beats...

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:33 AM   #64
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
That said, it looks like you can get better sounding cans and and amp for the same price as the Beats...
For the price the beats are sitting at, oh yes. They had a sale during Christmas that made it somewhat worthwhile to look into them. The bass is a bit bloated, but the sound quality I found tightened up after breaking it in. The problem we have here is we don't have easy access to headphone retailers in Canada. We either go to the States or wait a couple weeks for them to get shipped. If we had the option to choose between the Grado and Beats? I would probably get the Grado or even AKGs etc... but it sucks being in Canada!
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:42 AM   #65
Deelow
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlywhiteout View Post
Very solid. You can listen very loud and Ppl next desk won't hear
I've found just the opposite. Seems to a common complaint online too.
On a side note, my buddy has a knockoff pair of Dre Studio Beats. That is about as high quality of a knockoff as I have ever seen. The packaging and the headphones themselves are very close. I was impressed. Anyone else try a pair?
Old 01-29-2011, 10:29 AM   #66
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelow View Post
I've found just the opposite. Seems to a common complaint online too.
On a side note, my buddy has a knockoff pair of Dre Studio Beats. That is about as high quality of a knockoff as I have ever seen. The packaging and the headphones themselves are very close. I was impressed. Anyone else try a pair?
I found the sound leakage pretty significant with the Beats too. It's the main reason I started seriously looking at alternatives.

There are a few knockoffs on kijiji right now (I'm assuming). People are selling them for $200 unopened and won't send pics of the box.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:31 AM   #67
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooohooo View Post
The problem we have here is we don't have easy access to headphone retailers in Canada. We either go to the States or wait a couple weeks for them to get shipped. If we had the option to choose between the Grado and Beats? I would probably get the Grado or even AKGs etc... but it sucks being in Canada!
I've found that between Mother's and Long & McQuade, most the "audiophile" brands are pretty well covered.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:03 PM   #68
Deelow
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
I found the sound leakage pretty significant with the Beats too. It's the main reason I started seriously looking at alternatives.

There are a few knockoffs on kijiji right now (I'm assuming). People are selling them for $200 unopened and won't send pics of the box.
Ya I read about the box, but even that looks pretty damn good. Perhaps when it is sitting right next to an authentic piece you would notice...but to the average person the packaging looks compeltely legit.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:17 PM   #69
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just picked up a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50s at Long & McQuade.

They've apparently got a 20-30hr breakin period, but out of the box these are comically better sounding that the Monster Beats Studios. For $160 less. It's incredible, really.

They're especially better most rock music. I found everything gets sorta jumbled together on the Beats but you can pick out every details of every instrument on the M50s.

The bass actually hits harder (when called for) on the M50s, but isn't as boomy. All a matter of preference.

Might not look as cool as the beats, but I still think they look pretty sweet:

My iPhone/MacBook drives the M50s just fine, but with the money I saved I'm going to get a NuForce UDAC 2 and really see what these can do.

ETA: Bonus! I don't feel like I'm going to break these every time I put them on!

Last edited by MickMcGeough; 01-29-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:15 PM   #70
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I had the audio technica and sold them to a co worker. Saying they sound better than the studios is flat out wrong, imo. Not to mention the beats are more comfortable, and have a better build quality
Old 01-29-2011, 09:42 PM   #71
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like you found what you're looking for. Great choice! They are in the top 10 recommends on headphone.com. Great customer reviews too although comfort was listed as an issue, but a necessary evil for closed headphones (sweating). Guess it will just depend on your head haha.

That being said I checked out the beats on there and you're right, leakage was mentioned as an issue (coming out of the earpads), as well as poor build quality.

Go get that amp and have fun! I will stick to my akg 240s's for now.. they've been so good to me and without an amp I can't really ask for more.

Last edited by calumniate; 01-29-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:39 PM   #72
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlywhiteout View Post
I had the audio technica and sold them to a co worker. Saying they sound better than the studios is flat out wrong, imo.
No. Listening tastes are subjective, therefore, it's flat out right

Old 01-29-2011, 11:51 PM   #73
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

LOL i concede this point to you
Old 02-18-2011, 02:31 AM   #74
Mad Mel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mel View Post
Just ordered a Westone UM2 Dual Driver in-ear monitor. Great reviews, good shape for inside a full-face helmet, and comply tips for noise reduction. Will provide feedback once they arrive.
Had them for a couple of weeks now, and it turns out that they are very nice. Love the bass; it's not boomy wannabe tincan exhaust poser bass, it's crisp, clean low end; if the music has a Fender J-Bass coming out of a Trace Elliot stack, that's what it sounds like. The dual drivers (one speaker for lower frequencies, one for higher) articulates the instruments really nicely. It took a bit to figure out how to position them properly so they didn't dislodge when pulling the lid on, but now they're staying in place and cutting down the wind noise nicely.
Mad Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:07 PM   #75
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

I tried the AKG K518DJ headphones and they were great, but uncomfortable.

Is there a place in town where I can try some headphones with my DAP of choice?
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:35 AM   #76
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
I tried the AKG K518DJ headphones and they were great, but uncomfortable.

Is there a place in town where I can try some headphones with my DAP of choice?
Long & McQuade. They've got demo sets of just about everything they've got, and they'll open up a box for you if they don't have a demo set. Plus, they've got the best selection in town, imo.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:49 PM   #77
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just picked up a Fiio E7 DAC & amplifier. I didn't expect too much of a difference but it makes the M50s absolutely sing (probably the external DAC more than anything).

There's even a bass boost that sounds a ton better than using a software EQ, if you're into that sorta thing.

Picked it up for $65 used - I highly recommend this to anyone who's invested a couple bills in a pair of headphones.

Just can't get over how phenomenal these M50s are - best $179 I've spent in a long time.

Last edited by MickMcGeough; 03-24-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:26 PM   #78
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Simply awesome! I'm interested now that sounds like a great price too.

My cheap amplification technique is to use my AKG's (open headphone) with my speakers on. It's like I'm everywhere and nowhere - really works. But if I got this amp and used the speakers, now..
Old 04-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #79
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Shure SRH840 - These are Shure's top of the line headphone model. They retail for $199 but can be found new on ebay for about $150.

More info:
http://www.shure.com/americas/produc...ing-headphones

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:20 PM   #80
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC in LAX View Post
Shure SRH840 - These are Shure's top of the line headphone model. They retail for $199 but can be found new on ebay for about $150.

More info:
http://www.shure.com/americas/produc...ing-headphones
Those are a great set of cans. I listened to them for quite awhile before finally deciding on the M50s. They apparently have more accurate sound reproduction than the M50s but I actually enjoyed the punchier sound in the M50s. Can't go wrong with either, imo.