Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-05-2017, 10:19 PM   #21
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:
Default Flames sign Wotherspoon (1 yr, 2-way, $650k)

I don't think Spoon is ultimately an NHLer. He gets burned a ton, his quickness is really lacking and he doesn't make up for it with hockey sense. He's below average or average everywhere else.

Though admittedly that's just in his 15 NHL games or whatever over the last few seasons that I've seen. I just haven't seen any material improvement and I doubt it's going to happen at this point.

Might be a spot on the Canucks, seriously he's from Burnaby and we seem to swap players with them often these days. And they are terrible.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:28 AM   #22
dying4acup
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think he's a perfect 6-7. This year there's a 6-7 spot. Bartkowski is not a sure bet. Cap is not an issue. Going to be a good battle at camp. If he doesn't make it it's on him. And I kind of hope he gets claimed on waivers.
dying4acup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:38 AM   #23
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

He'll be the perfect farm team vet.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:13 AM   #24
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just don't see him as part of the Flames long term. He isn't NHL material and there will be better options in the minors too. I see him as part of a trade to make room on the roster.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:43 AM   #25
Redlan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I am hoping Wotherspoon becomes a serviceable NHL defenceman for the Flames...partly because it will benefit the team but also in part because of all the pessimism elicited on this site toward him.
Redlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:57 AM   #26
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it pessimism if it's justifiable? It's not like anyone is saying he can't play hockey, just that he really hasn't shown that he's NHL material. He could be in the NHL but the Flames have too much depth on D. He could be a leader in the back end for the heat or he could play on a different team. There are just too many high end prospects who should be given a chance as the #6 guy instead of him.

I'd love to see him traded because I think he has some value and it would be good for the Flames to cash in on it and shore up a different position.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:26 AM   #27
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlan View Post
I am hoping Wotherspoon becomes a serviceable NHL defenceman for the Flames...partly because it will benefit the team but also in part because of all the pessimism elicited on this site toward him.
That pessimism, for the most part, is completely warranted. On NHL ice ever since 2014 or so he just seems to be regressing. His confidence, reactions and decision making is worse. Tyler's probably decent enough on the AHL level, but I don't think he will become an NHLer with his age and our current pipeline of young defenceman prospects.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:44 AM   #28
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
That pessimism, for the most part, is completely warranted. On NHL ice ever since 2014 or so he just seems to be regressing. His confidence, reactions and decision making is worse. Tyler's probably decent enough on the AHL level, but I don't think he will become an NHLer with his age and our current pipeline of young defenceman prospects.
This is just it though. He has the ability to be a bottom pair Dman in the NHL, but he seems to be cautious and overwhelmed in high stakes situations. There are Dmen who gain this part of their games in their mid 20s, and I'm excited to see him compete for a spot, but I'm not banking on anything.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:54 AM   #29
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Capfriendly says he gets $160,000 in the minors.

Good luck to him.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:31 PM   #30
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have pretty much given up on Wotherspoon. I once had high hopes but in the last few years he has failed to translate his game to the NHL, stagnated, and been passed by other defence prospects.

While I hope he can beat out Bartkowski for the 7th spot, I'm realistically thinking he will end up 9th on depth chart, play in 5 NHL games, and leave the organisation next season.