Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-04-2017, 12:47 PM   #41
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think it's fair to say he was perfectly happy losing just that he had other priorities outside the game that were important to him. As is his right. Guess that makes him a "coward"
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2017, 01:59 PM   #42
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
I don't think it's fair to say he was perfectly happy losing just that he had other priorities outside the game that were important to him. As is his right. Guess that makes him a "coward"
Really? He even refused to be a rental when he could have just turned around and signed in Phoenix 3 months down the road. The only time Doan was willing to move was this off-season when Phoenix said they were done.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 09-04-2017 at 02:40 PM.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 02:46 PM   #43
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Really? He even refused to be a rental when he could have just turned around and signed in Phoenix 3 months down the road. The only time Doan was willing to move was this off-season when Phoenix said they were done.
Doan and his wife have four kids aged from 9-17, maybe he didn't want to leave them and his wife for three months? Everyone has different priorities, perhaps Doan's commitment to family is higher then chasing a stanley cup. I see nothing wrong with that.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JFK For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2017, 03:30 PM   #44
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

He was also willing to move this year at the deadline, just not to any team.
spetch is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spetch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2017, 04:53 PM   #45
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK View Post
Doan and his wife have four kids aged from 9-17, maybe he didn't want to leave them and his wife for three months? Everyone has different priorities, perhaps Doan's commitment to family is higher then chasing a stanley cup. I see nothing wrong with that.
You might not, but most high performance athletes with a pulse would. What our saying is exactly what I'm saying though. Doan was never committed to winning.
Old 09-04-2017, 05:03 PM   #46
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You might not, but most high performance athletes with a pulse would. What our saying is exactly what I'm saying though. Doan was never committed to winning.
Honestly, what would *you* know about the motivations of high performance athletes?
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:25 PM   #47
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Source?

Regardless of your made up point, being ruthless to win at 21 is different than being a father and husband in your thirties or forties. Ask Jaromes kids about him chasing a Cup? Ask his wife? i dont know their answers. I do know their family was established firmly in Calgary and I know the challenges and struggles with uprooting my family once, not several times inshort timeframe.
Doan and Jarome will both retire without a Cup. I dont know who will have more regrets, Doan for not chasing a Cup, or Jarome for dragging his family from coast to coast to chase his Cup.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:34 PM   #48
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Let me be very blunt and deliberate here, you and I are not saying the same thing, it's not even close. You're saying Doan was not committed to winning, I'm saying I think he was but maybe family was a notch above that.

Personally I have many commitments in my life, I'm very committed to my career and the work I do there but my family ranks above that and always will. Placing something above "winning" doesn't mean that level suddenly drops to zero.

This all or nothing business is childish, it's more nuanced than that.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JFK For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2017, 05:36 PM   #49
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
What about Phoenix's commitment to winning? Or the lack thereof. Doan wanted to stay there to win. Phoenix had no interest in that, apparently.

It's not like he refused to leave the Oilers.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2017, 06:57 PM   #50
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK View Post
Let me be very blunt and deliberate here, you and I are not saying the same thing, it's not even close. You're saying Doan was not committed to winning, I'm saying I think he was but maybe family was a notch above that.

Personally I have many commitments in my life, I'm very committed to my career and the work I do there but my family ranks above that and always will. Placing something above "winning" doesn't mean that level suddenly drops to zero.

This all or nothing business is childish, it's more nuanced than that.
There a big difference between someone who works a regular career and the very short career of an athlete. What's Doan now? Around 38? He has the next the next 40 years of his life to sit around be on his ranch.

Oh the hardships the family would have had to endure had they been forced to live in some hell hole like Dallas, Boston, Nashville, LA, Chicago, etc.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:59 PM   #51
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
What about Phoenix's commitment to winning? Or the lack thereof. Doan wanted to stay there to win. Phoenix had no interest in that, apparently.

It's not like he refused to leave the Oilers.
No respect for Phoenix management either but it's not llike Doan as the captain and face of their franchise ever said anything about it or forced their hand on anything. He was just as happy to sit their losing while they were.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:08 PM   #52
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There a big difference between someone who works a regular career and the very short career of an athlete. What's Doan now? Around 38? He has the next the next 40 years of his life to sit around be on his ranch.

Oh the hardships the family would have had to endure had they been forced to live in some hell hole like Dallas, Boston, Nashville, LA, Chicago, etc.
I think it is a mistake to try and guess what someone's motivations are - or look down upon them because you think they should have chased winning over any other life consideration.
You have no idea what his personal life or family situation is, or how and why he made these decisions.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:19 PM   #53
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He doesn't have the next 40 years to raise his children.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:01 PM   #54
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Are you personally offended that Shane Doan didn't win a Stanley cup? I'm not sure what the point to this discussion is. You've now made me defend Shane Doan, which I never did once in his career...
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote