Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-30-2017, 04:45 PM   #81
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanTrev View Post
cool cuz he had a 1.310 ppg as an 18 year old.
Not his draft year though.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:48 PM   #82
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Not his draft year though.
Yep he was drafted 2013
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:51 PM   #83
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yep he was drafted 2013
Sigh. He scored 1.3 ppg the year after he was drafted. "Draft year" is the year before he was drafted (2012-13). As in "He hopes to have a big draft year to increase his chances of going high". He was .85 ppg in his draft year.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2017, 05:02 PM   #84
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
That is not what I said and the analogous connection made to Kulak's situation from last year does not apply to my opinion here. What I said is that "it probably [will] not make a significant difference which of Lazar, Klimchuk, or Poirier is playing 8–10 mins a night." The difference here being that Lazar is a young player with potential who is jockeying with other young players with potential for a roster spot. Kulak was unfortunately overlooked on opening night for seasoned veteran Dennis Wideman and Nik Grossmann; both of whom were clearly on the respirator of their careers.

It makes a hell of a difference whether it is Lazar or Luke Gazdic playing on the bottom line, but this is not really a realistic scenario for the start of the season. Given the competition I am pretty comfortable with whoever of the kids grabs one of those spots. on the bottom two lines.

But really my original question was in response to your assertion that Lazar would play at least 40 games in the NHL, and I asked what would happen if one of the players around his age is better than him at camp. I wouldn't limit it to the players you mentioned but for sake of argument, if Poirier or Klimchuk outperform Lazar at camp, what do you think happens?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:21 PM   #85
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
But really my original question was in response to your assertion that Lazar would play at least 40 games in the NHL, and I asked what would happen if one of the players around his age is better than him at camp. I wouldn't limit it to the players you mentioned but for sake of argument, if Poirier or Klimchuk outperform Lazar at camp, what do you think happens?
I think that those are the players with whom Lazar is most likely directly competing with at camp for a spot, and I believe that he will almost certainly be added to the roster ahead of them based on his contract and waiver status. I also believe this is fairly uncontroversial, given that the margin of separation between these players is probably very small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2017, 05:34 PM   #86
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
cool cuz he had a 1.310 ppg as an 18 year old.
Quote:
Sigh. He scored 1.3 ppg the year after he was drafted. "Draft year" is the year before he was drafted (2012-13). As in "He hopes to have a big draft year to increase his chances of going high". He was .85 ppg in his draft year.
Exactly right.

Lazar's production in his draft year is a little low for what I would expect from a future NHL top-six forward. These sorts of players tend to blow the doors off their Juniour league if they end up playing their draft+1 season there: From the 2013 draft Sean Monahan and Nathan McKinnon graduated directly to the NHL. Other high end players drafted from the CHL who went back for another year were Jonathan Drouin, Bo Horvat, and Max Domi. Drouin scored at over a 2.0 pts/game pace in his draft+1 year and Domi scored 1.5 pts/game. Horvat was a bit of an outlier and had a pre-NHL trajectory similar to Lazar, but other players like Anthony Mantha and Emil Poirier were both well above 2.0 its/game the same year that Lazar scored 76 its in 58 games.

Quote:
Old 08-30-2017, 05:53 PM   #87
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think that those are the players with whom Lazar is most likely directly competing with at camp for a spot, and I believe that he will almost certainly be added to the roster ahead of them based on his contract and waiver status. I also believe this is fairly uncontroversial, given that the margin of separation between these players is probably very small.
Well I hope Lazar performs and legitimately earns a meaningful role on the team. The fact Flames gave up a 2nd round pick and signed him to a 2 year, 1 way deal tells me they see a bigger gap between him and their prospects. Otherwise, why trade for him.

I agree its not controversial if he performs well in camp. If they out perform him, it will be interesting as his pro career has not really been distinguished thus far.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:58 PM   #88
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Well I hope Lazar performs and legitimately earns a meaningful role on the team. The fact Flames gave up a 2nd round pick and signed him to a 2 year, 1 way deal tells me they see a bigger gap between him and their prospects. Otherwise, why trade for him.

I agree its not controversial if he performs well in camp. If they out perform him, it will be interesting as his pro career has not really been distinguished thus far.
I haven't really watched him before his few games in Calgary, but I was not displeased with what I saw in the Spring. I expect that he will have a solid camp and will not be noticeably outplayed by other prospects I mentioned.

Quote:
Old 08-30-2017, 06:27 PM   #89
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Like I said, yep. I even specifically said "as an 18year old".
Old 08-30-2017, 06:38 PM   #90
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Like I said, yep. I even specifically said "as an 18year old".
No. GioforPM is correct here. Curtis Lazar's "draft year" was 2012–13. 2013–14 was his "draft+1 year."

Quote:
Old 08-30-2017, 07:22 PM   #91
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
No. GioforPM is correct here. Curtis Lazar's "draft year" was 2012–13. 2013–14 was his "draft+1 year."
I'm not sure where this got derailed. My original post said cool, cuz he had 1.310 PPG as a 18 year old. Gio said not his draft year tho. I said "yup he was drafted in 2013" (was meant as agreeing with gio). I'll be clearer next time, once I finish remedial English.
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesFanTrev For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2017, 07:30 PM   #92
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not sure where this got derailed. My original post said cool, cuz he had 1.310 PPG as a 18 year old. Gio said not his draft year tho. I said "yup he was drafted in 2013" (was meant as agreeing with gio). I'll be clearer next time, once I finish remedial English.
Yeah, you are correct. As far as the draft goes a player starts his draft year as a 17 year old. His 18 year old season is his draft plus one year.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:54 PM   #93
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Yeah, you are correct. As far as the draft goes a player starts his draft year as a 17 year old. His 18 year old season is his draft plus one year.
That's not technically true either as the cutoff date in Sept kind of splits players into one year or the other. Rasmus Andersson was 18 when he was drafted and only had 1 more year of junior left. His 19 year old junior season was his draft + 1 year. Most players are drafted at 17 and have two more years of junior eligibility left. You can have a kid in one draft that is only days apart in age from a kid in another draft year. It's confusing.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:12 PM   #94
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Looking forward to having actual hockey to talk about soon
Old 09-03-2017, 10:07 AM   #95
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hope we see a whole lot of these first pumps:

https://twitter.com/CurtisLazar95/st...46685378551808

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:05 AM   #96
Redlan
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Realistic expectations for Curtis Lazar?

Pre and post draft/17yo and 18yo stat comparison augment? Then continuing on semantics...Really? This is what we have to endure. Either side can find ample examples to support their perspective so it is a moot point. Iginla stat line was 0.986 pre draft, 1.90 post - pretty meaningless.

I expect Lazar to have 15-20 goals and around the 40 point mark this upcoming season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Redlan; 09-04-2017 at 10:08 AM.
Redlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 11:32 AM   #97
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Hope we see a whole lot of these first pumps:

https://twitter.com/CurtisLazar95/st...46685378551808
But I want ALL the Pumps!!!!!
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote