Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-03-2017, 12:02 AM   #41
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
The Stamps did host a Pride Night at their game last Saturday: https://www.stampeders.com/calgarypride/

I have no idea what it involved.
I think it's just a matter of bad timing with the labor day game going on and the team sticking to its regiment. I'm sure there are a lot of Stampeders in that locker room that would support Cornish and the cause otherwise.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 05:29 AM   #42
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I support the LGBTQ community.

I don't support the parade.

Both of those can be true at the same time. The organizers have gone out of their way to exclude whichever groups they see fit. Such as uniformed police and the UCP party. It's hypocrisy at it's finest. I'm not much of a parade person though.

Last edited by robaur; 09-03-2017 at 05:33 AM.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:21 AM   #43
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
I support the LGBTQ community.

I don't support the parade.

Both of those can be true at the same time. The organizers have gone out of their way to exclude whichever groups they see fit. Such as uniformed police and the UCP party. It's hypocrisy at it's finest. I'm not much of a parade person though.
Requiring groups who engage in actions that are counter to A (supporting the LGBTQ community) to show commitment to that support before having an official presence in the parade is not hypocrisy, it's common sense.

While it makes me sad there won't be Stampeders there (though the impending labour day classic that a few have pointed out definitely makes it forgivable), what makes me very happy is that the parade cannot be used for meaningless social point scoring for groups like the UCP who are made up of politicians that do not support the LGBTQ community in any way.

The real hypocrisy is in these groups marching in the first place.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2017, 08:31 AM   #44
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stajan is also going to be in the parade.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:52 AM   #45
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Requiring groups who engage in actions that are counter to A (supporting the LGBTQ community) to show commitment to that support before having an official presence in the parade is not hypocrisy, it's common sense.

While it makes me sad there won't be Stampeders there (though the impending labour day classic that a few have pointed out definitely makes it forgivable), what makes me very happy is that the parade cannot be used for meaningless social point scoring for groups like the UCP who are made up of politicians that do not support the LGBTQ community in any way.

The real hypocrisy is in these groups marching in the first place.
Ahh yes, the UCP are the only ones using it for social point scoring. The NDP and Liberals would never stoop to such lows...
H2SO4(aq) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:07 AM   #46
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4(aq) View Post
Ahh yes, the UCP are the only ones using it for social point scoring. The NDP and Liberals would never stoop to such lows...
Well, only one of those three don't back it up with legislation, and actually actively vote against most legislation that supports the LGBTQ community.

If you can't clearly see the difference, then it shows why it's important the Pride organizers take the stand. It serves as an opportunity to teach and highlight these issues which some UCP supporters apparently aren't even aware of.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:05 AM   #47
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
It's too bad not a single current Stamps player wanted to join. I guess you could argue they're getting ready for the Labour Day game, but that's a stretch to say no one could spare a couple hours and represent the team.
Pretty sure the whole team has to work that day. It isn't a holiday for these guys and they have a big game to prepare for (biggest of the year no doubt). I wouldn't go slagging these guys before all the details of their commitments are revealed.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Familia For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2017, 10:25 AM   #48
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I think its safe to say:

Stampeders: "Sorry Pride, we support you but we have to work that day. Have a great Parade!"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:58 AM   #49
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

Actually I'm disappointed in how this thread suddenly became an anti-prider witch hunt complete with speculation about people from the south and how they view things and broad brushes about football players and those stereotypes. Come on guys. Do better.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:53 AM   #50
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Regarding uniformed police officers, I thought that CPS said they couldn't attend, and not the parade organizers. Isn't that the case?

I thought that it was an attempt by the police not to show favoritism to one group, and many officers were disappointed that they couldn't attend in uniform. I might be blowing hot air though.

Sent from my LG-H915 using Tapatalk
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 01:07 PM   #51
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey-and_stuff View Post
Regarding uniformed police officers, I thought that CPS said they couldn't attend, and not the parade organizers. Isn't that the case?

I thought that it was an attempt by the police not to show favoritism to one group, and many officers were disappointed that they couldn't attend in uniform. I might be blowing hot air though.

Quote:
Officers marching in Calgary’s annual Pride Parade are being asked to leave their uniforms at home—a decision the Calgary Police Service says it respects.

“We are obviously disappointed with the decision that police will not be allowed to march in uniform, but we are not going to allow it to undo decades of progress between law enforcement and the LGBTQ community in Calgary,” Chief Roger Chaffin said in a statement Wednesday afternoon.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3626515/ca...rms-at-parade/
Old 09-03-2017, 01:11 PM   #52
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looks like I had it completely backwards. Great link, thanks!

Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 02:05 PM   #53
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just marched with the McCarthy Tetrault and Enbridge float. What a blast. This was my first time at the parade and there were way more people than I expected and the atmosphere was great. Big kudos to Calgarians for making it down there and cheering like crazy.

I saw Lack, Monahan, Gio and Versteeg too. Lack is a giant. Great to see them out there being friendly and interacting with everyone.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Savvy27 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2017, 03:08 PM   #54
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahan signed my sons hat at the parade. Wife got a pic with Gio and Versteeg. Pretty cool to see them there.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JonDuke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2017, 08:23 AM   #55
Mony
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Amazing turnout this year as always! The energy is always so high at Pride and this was my third straight year in attendance.

Was so concentrated on Monahan but I did see Stajan. Didn't see Versteeg, Lack or Gio from my vantage point though.

Great great vibes, always nice to see every age group from young kids to older people there! The pride parade is a really fun event and I do recommend it to everyone next year who has not gotten a chance to see it for themselves.