Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2012, 06:25 AM   #1
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Xbox Update failed

Was no even remotely recent topics about Xbox, so I just started a new thread. If I missed a thread, mods feel free to merge.

I did an Xbox update about a week and a half ago, and it really messed with my wireless connectivity, so I have been having trouble staying connected to XBox live. It really wasn't a huge issue, since I don't actually game online, but it was a little annoying. I have never had issues in the past and it shows as having full bars so the signal is strong.

Fast forward to yesterday and now there is a new update that it wants to do. I have tried a few times to update and it failed due to connectivity issues. read a few things online and reset my networking to factory defaults. I also found something that said I should configure my settings statically and use Google's DNS instead of my ISP. Of course, none of that worked, or I wouldn't be here.

I guess I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem in the past couple weeks. Any solutions that I am not thinking of? I could hard wire the xbox in, but I don't have a working cat 5 cable that is long enough readily available, and pulling the xbox from my entertainment unit would be really something I would like to avoid, plus then I would have issues with having a TV for it.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:45 AM   #2
normtwofinger
Self-Retirement

Exp:

I think the only option is to hard wire the connection so the update can finish. Other than that, you could reset to factory settings, but that would suck.
normtwofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to normtwofinger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2012, 08:27 AM   #3
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually did reset to factory settings, due to me forgetting the passcode for the media streaming, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, since all the profile information was kept.

It didn't fix the problem, though.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #4
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can try removing the hard drive and re-attempting the update. TBQH, I'd just hardwire it. Unfortunately there isn't really much you can do that you haven't already done (resetting the unit).
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2012, 11:14 AM   #5
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I think I might just go buy some rj-45 ends and make myself a new cable to go upstairs. Would be easier than dealing with the other options.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:44 AM   #6
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can you either burn the update to a CD, or put it on a USB?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2012, 12:42 PM   #7
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Copy to a USB flash drive

If you cannot connect your Xbox 360 console to the Internet, you can copy the console update from your computer to a USB flash drive and then install it on the console.

Note The USB flash drive must use the FAT32 file system.
Plug your USB flash drive into a USB port on your computer.
Download the update file.
Click Save to save the console update .zip file on your computer.
Unzip the file. If you are using Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7, double-click the .zip file to unzip it.
Copy the contents of the .zip file to the root directory of your flash drive.
Unplug the USB flash drive from your computer.
Plug the flash drive into a USB port on your Xbox 360 console.
Restart the console.
When the console restarts, the installation program starts automatically. Select Yes when you are prompted to update the new console software.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #8
KOgear
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If you can survive, the new xbox will be out sept 2013.

http://bgr.com/2012/11/19/xbox-720-s...mor-microsoft/
KOgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #9
ShaolinFlame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If the router is somewhere easy you could always plug it in next to the Xbox for 20 minutes instead of going the 'giant Cat5' route. That is if you have no flash drive - that sounds easiest.

Flames-Flyers-Stamps-Jays
ShaolinFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:14 PM   #10
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since usb is possible, thats what I am doing.

Curious though, the update wouldn't go through without interaction from me, so how would that work with no TV? Just hit A over and over?
Old 12-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #11
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Why no TV? I am confused on that part. Hook it up to your TV then do the update? Lol
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:05 PM   #12
ShaolinFlame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Since usb is possible, thats what I am doing.

Curious though, the update wouldn't go through without interaction from me, so how would that work with no TV? Just hit A over and over?
Assuming this was directed at me...

I didn't mean move the Xbox as was previously suggested, but rather plug your internet modem directly into the nearest coax/telephone outlet to the TV, and then hardwire from there (ie - bypass the wireless if they're not integrated and just shut down the rest of the house net for 20 minutes).

This is of course assuming that the modem is not already set up as near to the entertainment system as possible. But if that is the case I'm surprised you don't already have a cat-5 long enough (unless the room is 2000 sq ft and you live in one of those CP 80%er mansions).

Old 12-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #13
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

The TV where it is hooked up has no wired internet. The only cable I had that was long enough to hard wire in was loaned to a friend.

I have cables that reaches down stairs, but TV downstairs is ancient and only has coax input, but even if it didn't I would rather not disconnect it from my entertainment Center as it is a huge pain to rewire. I might be able to move the modem, but that outlet is a gateway portal outlet and I am pretty sure there is an equipment damaging warning I recieved from the install tech about not using it for anything other than the portals.

Tried the USB update, and it failed again. Going to make a long enough cat 5 cable and try it hardwired.

This really shouldn't be this hard.

Last edited by Rathji; 12-03-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:49 AM   #14
ShaolinFlame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
The TV where it is hooked up has no wired internet. The only cable I had that was long enough to hard wire in was loaned to a friend.

I have cables that reaches down stairs, but TV downstairs is ancient and only has coax input, but even if it didn't I would rather not disconnect it from my entertainment Center as it is a huge pain to rewire. I might be able to move the modem, but that outlet is a gateway portal outlet and I am pretty sure there is an equipment damaging warning I recieved from the install tech about not using it for anything other than the portals.

Tried the USB update, and it failed again. Going to make a long enough cat 5 cable and try it hardwired.

This really shouldn't be this hard.
If you're hooped into having your modem be dependent on a single outlet (I'm assuming coax since gateway is shaw), then yeah I guess my suggestion wouldn't work. Your interpretation of my original suggestion might come into play though - find the sequence of buttons (youtube, forum, google, etc), and then do it without output right next to Shaws Super Gateway Outlet.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:29 AM   #15
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ended up finding a couple longer cables and daisy chained them with a switch to get it hard-wired.

Update worked without issue.