Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2022, 09:10 AM   #681
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Yeah, but this should be completely independent from the politics of the climate strategy. The adoption of EVs at the correct time doesn’t need a 50 year policy to do.
It basically speeds it up if we can get outside funding to assist. It's going to happen either way
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 11:40 AM   #682
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am going to put forward this suggestion again: CPS doesn't need to roll around in F150s and Explorers all day.

TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2022, 11:49 AM   #683
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

The bar at the front is a nice touch though. Pretty much useless against anything but Cyclists and Children, but it looks tough!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2022, 12:06 PM   #684
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah it is too bad there are no police rated cars in North America anymore, other than the Charger which is a POS

Chevy's worked on a police Bolt and Bolt SUV though, that could be interesting. Right now it's just as like, a parking control vehicle not an actual police version, but would be cool if that's a direction they went

Last edited by btimbit; 07-03-2022 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-03-2022, 12:40 PM   #685
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The F-150s are hilarious, they use them to carry a max amount of two bikes around. What a giant waste of money. Thank god we saved a few hundred bucks keeping our police vehicles black though, thank you CPS
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FormerPresJamesTaylor For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2022, 12:41 PM   #686
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerPresJamesTaylor View Post
The F-150s are hilarious, they use them to carry a max amount of two bikes around. What a giant waste of money. Thank god we saved a few hundred bucks keeping our police vehicles black though, thank you CPS
They get them for cheaper than the Explorers
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2022, 12:42 PM   #687
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
They get them for cheaper than the Explorers
Great? And? They don't need either.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FormerPresJamesTaylor For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2022, 12:43 PM   #688
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Great? And? They don't need either.
What should they use instead? The only police rated car available for purchase in Canada is the Charger, and they're garbage
Old 07-03-2022, 01:45 PM   #689
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

F150/Explorers for a wide range of people. Sure, some of the smaller force members might fit in compact units once they’re sporting their vests and belts, but a good portion of the work force might not be able.

Fleet spec takes a lot of consideration outside of big=bad.
Old 07-03-2022, 01:46 PM   #690
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
F150/Explorers for a wide range of people. Sure, some of the smaller force members might fit in compact units once they’re sporting their vests and belts, but a good portion of the work force might not be able.

Not even just people, it's all their gear

I work out of a regular cab F-350, yeah that's a huge truck, but I have so much emergency equipment with me I have to keep my lunch on the centre console
Old 07-03-2022, 01:51 PM   #691
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah it is too bad there are no police rated cars in North America anymore, other than the Charger which is a POS

Chevy's worked on a police Bolt and Bolt SUV though, that could be interesting. Right now it's just as like, a parking control vehicle not an actual police version, but would be cool if that's a direction they went
What does a place vehicle need to do that’s different from a regular vehicle? What makes something police spec?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2022, 05:48 PM   #692
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post

God help us if a little boy falls down a well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 06:21 PM   #693
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
God help us if a little boy falls down a well.
Old 07-03-2022, 07:14 PM   #694
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
What does a place vehicle need to do that’s different from a regular vehicle? What makes something police spec?
Yeah, this is Calgary, not an active war zone so they don't need to be armed to the teeth to begin with. Also, an F150 isn't exactly a supercar so it's not like it allows them to respond to incidents any faster. Put 'em in AWD wagons.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 08:03 PM   #695
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
What should they use instead? The only police rated car available for purchase in Canada is the Charger, and they're garbage
Literally anything else.

Who's responsible for rating vehicles for policing services in Canada? Canadian Police Forces? Golly gee, guess they have only use expensive SUV's and trucks, noting else available! Here's a tip, rate more cars for policing purposes.

Policing is like anything, they want bigger budgets and the coolest best gear, so tired of the general public eating up the talking points.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FormerPresJamesTaylor For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2022, 03:52 AM   #696
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

The biggest thing is upgraded suspension, cooling, extra safety features and electrics. Then space to add the equipment they need, not just storage space, but channels in the floor and dash for all the extra wiring. For most Police services it's an insurance requirement as well to use a vehicle that's been tested for police use, but Calgary self insures anyway so that doesn't apply here

It's not impossible to make a regular car into one but it's extremely expensive and for most vehicles they can't handle the payload anyway. That's why even the cars that used to be made, were always bigger models.

Quote:
Literally anything
else.

Who's responsible for rating vehicles for policing services in Canada? Canadian Police Forces? Golly gee, guess they have only use expensive SUV's and trucks, noting else available! Here's a tip, rate more cars for policing purposes.
I's the manufacturers that either build it or don't. It's a design spec, not a arbitrary 'this is approved for use, this isnt' You want to see a Honda Civic police car? Then convince Honda to make one. But they don't. And since a lot of the bigger department in the US, like CHP, have requirements that say a police vehicle must be big enough to fit 4 officers and all their gear, I doubt Honda ever would make one because they'd never be able to meet that

Last edited by btimbit; 07-04-2022 at 07:32 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2022, 04:14 AM   #697
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
so tired of the general public eating up the talking points.
I'm tired of any time someone with actual knowledge of how this works tries to, not even defend, but just explain the reasoning, is met with 'no this goes against my viewpoints, therefore it is not correct'

It's the black car discussion all over again. In fact it's the exact same response too. They buy what's actually available to them
Old 07-04-2022, 05:28 AM   #698
doozwimp
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I am going to put forward this suggestion again: CPS doesn't need to roll around in F150s and Explorers all day.

Vigilance, Courage, Pride is just a despicable slogan for a police force. Really gives off America f*&* yeah energy. Protect and Serve was so much better. Really irks me. The black vs white and blue doesnt help either.
doozwimp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to doozwimp For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2022, 05:33 AM   #699
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doozwimp View Post
Vigilance, Courage, Pride is just a despicable slogan for a police force. Really gives off America f*&* yeah energy. Protect and Serve was so much better. Really irks me. The black vs white and blue doesnt help either.
But it's the only colour it comes in! They can't paint them!
The Following User Says Thank You to FormerPresJamesTaylor For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2022, 07:30 AM   #700
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doozwimp View Post
Don't worry though, they have a cow catcher on the front so if they need mow through a crowd of peaceful protesters the bumper won't get dented.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote