Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which goaltender do you hope will be starting for the Flames in the 2017–18 Season?
Jonathan Bernier (UFA) 11 1.76%
Mike Condon (UFA) 5 0.80%
Brian Elliott (UFA) 51 8.16%
Marc Andre-Fleury (Trade) 219 35.04%
Jon Gillies 33 5.28%
Philipp Grubauer (Trade) 73 11.68%
Jaroslav Halak (Trade) 10 1.60%
Chad Johnson (UFA) 3 0.48%
Joonis Korpisalo (Trade) 25 4.00%
Steve Mason (UFA) 14 2.24%
Ryan Miller (UFA) 22 3.52%
Peter Mrazek (Trade) 19 3.04%
Micheal Neuvirth (Trade) 0 0%
Calvin Pickard (Trade) 18 2.88%
Antti Raanta (Trade) 78 12.48%
David Rittich 4 0.64%
Mike Smith (Trade) 35 5.60%
Cam Ward (Trade) 5 0.80%
Voters: 625. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-12-2017, 01:55 PM   #61
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
If the Flames Go Grubauer or another goalie of that vintage who would you rather have as a backup? Johnson, Elliott, or a younger Flames goalie Rittich/Gillies?
No matter who they pick up I believe that stability is important. One of Elliott or Johnson should be retained. I'm not picky about who it is. It will be good to have a goalie who knows who they are working with in practice, and in games.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:59 PM   #62
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Fans have to come to grips with the fact that no teams are going to do the Flames any favors and trade a quality backup goaltender for scraps. The entire league knows the Flames desperately need a starting goaltender. They have all the leverage as these teams don't need to trade their backup goaltenders. If you aren't willing to trade a movable piece like Ferland you may as well re-sign Elliott because the trades aren't going to happen.
They may have to if it is prior to the expansion draft. The expansion draft is key to all this as once it passes the Flames lose options.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:59 PM   #63
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
If MAF ends up in Calgary there is likely a significant asset or two going the other way. This isn't exactly a buy-low opportunity on Fleury. He was spectacular in Game 7 vs Washington.
Yep. He's not going to come cheap but neither are some of these backup goaltenders that are on the list. It's really hard for any of us to truly know what the Penguins would want but given their cap situation they may be willing to take draft picks and or a prospect.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 02:02 PM   #64
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
If the question is who do we hope for - shouldn't we all be voting Gillies? The simplest, least expensive option.
Well I hope every Flames player is the best in their position next season, but that's kind of an uninspiring way to interpret the question meant for serious discussion.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2017, 02:04 PM   #65
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

If they feel they have the book on Raanta et al then clearly the next Talbot would be great.

failing that though I like the Jimmy Howard, Mike Smith, MA Fleury angle as they ...

1. have positive track records
2. only have 2 years left on their contracts
3. are in the same situation meaning Treliving could play the three GMs against each other to ensure minimal assets and potentially even a cap dump in the trade
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 02:07 PM   #66
jayswin

Exp:

Isn't Mike Smith downright horrible at times?
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2017, 02:10 PM   #67
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

I sincerely hope that along with the search for a new starting goalie the Flames are also searching high and low for a new goaltending coach because whoever they get, I don't want Sigalet anywhere near them.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:11 PM   #68
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
If they feel they have the book on Raanta et al then clearly the next Talbot would be great.

failing that though I like the Jimmy Howard, Mike Smith, MA Fleury angle as they ...

1. have positive track records
2. only have 2 years left on their contracts
3. are in the same situation meaning Treliving could play the three GMs against each other to ensure minimal assets and potentially even a cap dump in the trade
Mike Smith's stats have been pretty bad over the past few years. I know the Coyotes haven't been great, but I would be scared to give him the benefit of the doubt. Same with Howard, despite the fact that he played on a pretty good Detroit team. His personal stats were pretty mediocre.

I know that puts a lot of importance on the stats which don't always tell the whole story, but they are typically an important part of the story. Especially when they are not just from one year.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:12 PM   #69
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have jumped on the Fleury wagon. He has had a good showing the last few years, and also has playoff success.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 02:12 PM   #70
East Coast Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Mike Smith is awful. Just awful. The guy had one great year 6 years ago and the rest of his career has been somewhere between mediocre and flaming car wreck.
East Coast Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 02:13 PM   #71
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Isn't Mike Smith downright horrible at times?
At times?

He's just downright horrible IMO.

He had an unreal season 6 years ago, since then his best seasons were merely average with some terrible mixed in.

EDIT: What EastCoast said..
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 02:18 PM   #72
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

The way Smith plays would drive me crazy if I had to watch it every game.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:21 PM   #73
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post
Treliving has some other moves to his credit but on what basis do you have faith in the management team getting the best available option? Yes, they may have targeted the best available options in past years but they have never landed the best possible option. Elliott was not the best available option and neither was Hiller. They were defensible choices but clearly they were not the best options leading us back to where we are in this off-season... and most of us think the best available option just signed with Dallas.
Treliving's activity needs to be weighed in terms of best available option relative to acquisition cost. On that measure I don't believe there were many better options than Elliott last summer. Clearly, the cost to acquire Bishop was likewise beyond what Treliving and the Flames are comfortable with surrendering.

It is never just as simple as determining who the best available goalie is and getting him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 02:22 PM   #74
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going with Condon. Gut feeling.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 02:23 PM   #75
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Fans have to come to grips with the fact that no teams are going to do the Flames any favors and trade a quality backup goaltender for scraps. The entire league knows the Flames desperately need a starting goaltender. They have all the leverage as these teams don't need to trade their backup goaltenders. If you aren't willing to trade a movable piece like Ferland you may as well re-sign Elliott because the trades aren't going to happen.
I will believe it when it happens, but the fact remains that backup goalies are usually traded for little more than picks and prospects, and not because teams are ever doing favours for one another.

The market dictates the cost, and that coast appears to be MUCH lower than an asset like Ferland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 02:44 PM   #76
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The 2014 Leafs weren't desperate for a starter? They traded Frattin, Scrivens, and a 2nd for Bernier after Reimer's game 7 meltdown.

The 2015 Wild weren't desperate for a starter?
They traded a 3rd round pick for Dubnyk after Kuemper / Backstrom took them out of a playoff spot singlehandedly.

The 2016 Oilers weren't desperate for a starter? They traded a 2nd, 3rd, and 7th for Talbot after Scrivens and Fasth won them McDavid.

The 2016 Sharks weren't desperate for a starter? They traded 29th overall for Jones (with the risk of it being closer to 19th OA).

None of these values are close to Micheal Ferland, an established young NHLer with all the tools and hockey sense to be a premiere power forward in the NHL on the verge of a breakout season. Heck even our 16th overall is less valuable than Ferland at this point in time.

You should never overpay for a goalie. You can win with mediocrity in net barring total unpredictable meltdowns (that can happen to anyone not named Lundqvist; hence "unpredictable"), you can't win with a mediocre skater group.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2017, 02:46 PM   #77
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Elliot is probably the best option now on a 1 year show me contract, with a graduate from Stockton as number 2.

Elliott was good enough for the Flames to make the playoffs, and with the money saved they could get more scoring a beef up defense.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 02:53 PM   #78
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
The 2014 Leafs weren't desperate for a starter? They traded Frattin, Scrivens, and a 2nd for Bernier after Reimer's game 7 meltdown.

The 2015 Wild weren't desperate for a starter?
They traded a 3rd round pick for Dubnyk after Kuemper / Backstrom took them out of a playoff spot singlehandedly.

The 2016 Oilers weren't desperate for a starter? They traded a 2nd, 3rd, and 7th for Talbot after Scrivens and Fasth won them McDavid.

The 2016 Sharks weren't desperate for a starter? They traded 29th overall for Jones (with the risk of it being closer to 19th OA).

None of these values are close to Micheal Ferland, an established young NHLer with all the tools and hockey sense to be a premiere power forward in the NHL on the verge of a breakout season. Heck even our 16th overall is less valuable than Ferland at this point in time.

You should never overpay for a goalie. You can win with mediocrity in net barring total unpredictable meltdowns (that can happen to anyone not named Lundqvist; hence "unpredictable"), you can't win with a mediocre skater group.
Sigh. Nothing against the kid but he has to be the most overrated player in the history of CP by a long shot. I would imagine most teams would consider him more of a throw in than a major trading piece. Some pundits had the Flames leaving him unprotected in the expansion draft as that's how little cache his name carries. If he's lucky he may have a 20 goal season in his career and that's only if he's gifted first line ice time as he's already in his prime years and he's not going to get much better than what he already is which is a dime a dozen NHLer.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 05-12-2017 at 02:56 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2017, 03:03 PM   #79
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sigh. Nothing against the kid but he has to be the most overrated player in the history of CP by a long shot. I would imagine most teams would consider him more of a throw in than a major trading piece. Some pundits had the Flames leaving him unprotected in the expansion draft as that's how little cache his name carries. If he's lucky he may have a 20 goal season in his career and that's only if he's gifted first line ice time as he's already in his prime years and he's not going to get much better than what he already is which is a dime a dozen NHLer.
Yep - I like Ferland and he fits on this team. Bur worth more than a mid first round pick? No.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2017, 03:06 PM   #80
jayswin

Exp:

Yep, I am high on Ferland but he's a player that has some great potential on our team but not that much trade value. Or at least not what many home team fans may think. He's not going to be a centre piece right now in any significant trade.