Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2016, 04:49 PM   #1221
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
This is sort of my (admittedly uneducated) view. Gateway seems to have legitimate concerns, but the concerns about EE & KM are just NIMBYism.
I don't even think it's NIMBYism. It's more the sense that "pipeline" is a dirty word if you're on the left. The prevailing sentiment is that "we shall oppose anything that oil companies might want because oil companies are evil" is sacred.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:57 PM   #1222
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Well, Clark just sways wherever the winds of potential revenue-generation blow her. Shakedown artist extraordinaire.
Ol' mittens before her wasn't much better.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:59 PM   #1223
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The simple thing to do is this.

The provinces and federal government pay Alberta 80 billion dollars a year not to drill for Oil, we won't develop it or pull it out of the ground.

The Feds send us 30 billion the other provinces make up the other 50.

All Albertan's are encouraged to go work in the retail sector or farming or whatever.

We can shut down half of our downtown office buildings. We won't need to use our cars as much because we'll be working from home or whatever.

We reduce our overall carbon emissions by about .5% of the world wide total.

We build up our tourism industry and we commit to no oil pumping for lets say 100 years and then we re-open negotiations.

I mean, frankly the Feds and the provinces all want to take an environmental stance, then they might as well pay us not to produce. We won't need pipelines outside of the existing ones to bring in Arabian and other foreign oil and gas.

We'll even continue to pay equalization, however it will be less, because our tax base will be smaller.

Its the perfect system.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2016, 05:24 PM   #1224
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
The simple thing to do is this.

The provinces and federal government pay Alberta 80 billion dollars a year not to drill for Oil, we won't develop it or pull it out of the ground.

The Feds send us 30 billion the other provinces make up the other 50.

All Albertan's are encouraged to go work in the retail sector or farming or whatever.

We can shut down half of our downtown office buildings. We won't need to use our cars as much because we'll be working from home or whatever.

We reduce our overall carbon emissions by about .5% of the world wide total.

We build up our tourism industry and we commit to no oil pumping for lets say 100 years and then we re-open negotiations.

I mean, frankly the Feds and the provinces all want to take an environmental stance, then they might as well pay us not to produce. We won't need pipelines outside of the existing ones to bring in Arabian and other foreign oil and gas.

We'll even continue to pay equalization, however it will be less, because our tax base will be smaller.

Its the perfect system.
No? Think of the Environment! Think of the Children!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:23 AM   #1225
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

A new website being launched:

Hate oil and gas, no transfer payments for you.

www.cutthemoff.ca

Last edited by stampsx2; 02-02-2016 at 09:27 AM.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:39 AM   #1226
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Let the Eastern #######s Freeze in the Dark

And

I promise I won't piss it all away again

History repeating itself. There's even a Trudeau in charge.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:40 AM   #1227
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
LNG is different though. That stuff would just evaporate as soon as it got to atmosphere. Much safer.
Yah, but we don't want Malaysia to have our natural gas....it's better for them to go elsewhere to find the fuel they need to replace their coal generated power
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:44 AM   #1228
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its time to get serious boys. Lets build a pipeline to the Arctic so we can ship our Oil to Russia! Its time to join the other team and become a Soviet Satellite State!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 02-02-2016, 09:48 AM   #1229
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Its time to get serious boys. Lets build a pipeline to the Arctic so we can ship our Oil to Russia! Its time to join the other team and become a Soviet Satellite State!
Great idea!

Except, they produce more than twice as much oil as us. But, carry on!
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:19 AM   #1230
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
A new website being launched:

Hate oil and gas, no transfer payments for you.

www.cutthemoff.ca

Hard to cut them off when they are already importing oil from oppressive regimes.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:31 AM   #1231
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
Great idea!

Yes! But they could hose down Ukrainian dissidents with it!

Old 02-02-2016, 10:43 AM   #1232
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So I read an interesting conspiracy theory the other day. Not sure if anyone here can validate it or discount it. It went like this. Paul Martin owned a shipping company CSL (Canada Steamship Lines), when he became PM he sold his interest to his sons. That shipping line current ships a large amount of the foreign oil to the Irving refinery.

If Energy East gets built that would displace the foreign oil, and hurt Martin's sons financially (and really Martin as well). The MTL mayor playing the environmental card was appointed to a Federal Cabinet position in the Martin government. Could this be a friend helping a friend by standing in the way of a national project?

I thought it was interesting to read, because if true shows black and white how fata'd this country has become when a national interest is being stopped for one small groups benefit.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2016, 10:47 AM   #1233
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

It's already what we sort of have now with the ndp. Must crush capitalism.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:49 AM   #1234
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
Great idea!

With half the oil reserves we have.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:54 AM   #1235
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
So I read an interesting conspiracy theory the other day. Not sure if anyone here can validate it or discount it. It went like this. Paul Martin owned a shipping company CSL (Canada Steamship Lines), when he became PM he sold his interest to his sons. That shipping line current ships a large amount of the foreign oil to the Irving refinery.

If Energy East gets built that would displace the foreign oil, and hurt Martin's sons financially (and really Martin as well). The MTL mayor playing the environmental card was appointed to a Federal Cabinet position in the Martin government. Could this be a friend helping a friend by standing in the way of a national project?

I thought it was interesting to read, because if true shows black and white how fata'd this country has become when a national interest is being stopped for one small groups benefit.
Its not that unusual.

When the Iltis jeeps were purchased by the Canadian Forces, the German's could manufacture those pieces of crap for nearly 3x less then Bombardier, but one of Chretien's family members was a senior at Bombardier and they got the contract to build those pieces of crap.

And again

They were crap

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2016, 10:59 AM   #1236
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post

I wouldn't put it past him. Coderre had his hands filthy with the sponsorship scandal as well.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:02 AM   #1237
KidCanada
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I work next to the NEB building, there was an anti-pipeline protest out front this morning. About 10 people.
KidCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:04 AM   #1238
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where's punkass teenagers with eggs when you need them?
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:06 AM   #1239
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeman4Gilmour View Post
Yah, but we don't want Malaysia to have our natural gas....it's better for them to go elsewhere to find the fuel they need to replace their coal generated power
No see, what we like around here is to transport thermal coal from the US on trains to the BC coast, and then load that on ships and send it to Asia.

Because the environment!
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:12 AM   #1240
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidCanada View Post
I work next to the NEB building, there was an anti-pipeline protest out front this morning. About 10 people.
Tell them to go make a real difference in the world's carbon footprint and protest in china where the real problem is. A tiny difference in china will be the equivalent of two or three oilsands.