Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-06-2020, 03:51 PM   #81
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post
Have people heard about the dressing room usage at their rink yet? What are the limits you've heard?
My son (U15) has to come mostly dressed and limits on people in dressing rooms. Each is different based on the size of rooms in each arena.

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:53 PM   #82
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Currently playing shinny at Crowchild Twin. Arena is limited to 22 players total with 8 in each dressing room. Any more than that and they need to dress in the stands in designated spots. I have not heard from our winter league.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:54 PM   #83
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Ya, that's the general consensus, just wondering if there were any numbers out. I've heard 10 from Winsport and 8-10 seems to be most rinks, but the rinks that are hosting summer leagues seem to have upwards of 12
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:57 PM   #84
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

We have postponed our shinny at West Hillhurst until at least October - they have tiny dressing rooms.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:17 AM   #85
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Football Bantam

We can go to contact next week, a lot of the protocals stay in place with the check in of players and coaches, coaches sanitizing equipment at the end of practice.

We don't have a full confirmation of a season, but it looks like we're going to be playing 9v9 if we play a season with a game every second week, and a 4 game season in Sept if we go ahead. Cohorts of 22 from each size and then officials take it to the 50.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 11:14 AM   #86
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Winsport still has no plans for a winter season. Currently they're offering a 7 game mini season for 11 players for $2250.

There has been a distinct lack of interest from my team regarding this.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:13 AM   #87
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post
Winsport still has no plans for a winter season. Currently they're offering a 7 game mini season for 11 players for $2250.

There has been a distinct lack of interest from my team regarding this.
Wondering if this will have implications in terms of teams leaving or being forced to leave leagues? For instance if there are waiting lists to get in and a team opts out of a mini league will they be pushed out completely? For my league has ice slots at various arenas and has floated a few scenarios to gauge interest. One thing was made clear however, if teams do opt out and we end up with ice slots we cannot use we risk losing them forever since the arenas would be able to shop them around to other groups and once they are gone they won't come back. Obviously a league like Winsport is not in a situation like this but other leagues likely are (losing ice)
Old 08-12-2020, 08:21 AM   #88
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Wondering if this will have implications in terms of teams leaving or being forced to leave leagues? For instance if there are waiting lists to get in and a team opts out of a mini league will they be pushed out completely? For my league has ice slots at various arenas and has floated a few scenarios to gauge interest. One thing was made clear however, if teams do opt out and we end up with ice slots we cannot use we risk losing them forever since the arenas would be able to shop them around to other groups and once they are gone they won't come back. Obviously a league like Winsport is not in a situation like this but other leagues likely are (losing ice)
Part of the problem is AHS rules do not line up between leagues and facilities. AHS tells us we shouldn't be using our dressing rooms or allow a limited amount of people in it. They are telling leagues that Cohorts must be 50 people or less, so leagues are building based off of teams of 11-15. When we tell leagues that we can't allow more then 8 people in the change rooms, they get mad at us because you can't have adults show up dressed to play hockey like they're Timbits.

We've unfortunately had leagues pull out of our facility because of this, thus losing their spots with us. It's really frustrating that there has been no update to the information or changes since the initial announcement. Everyone is trying to operate on limited information and rumors and that's going to make for a tough hockey season for everyone.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:02 AM   #89
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ya, tough to compete with the City of Calgary arenas which have few restrictions and are not even enforcing those... people are still showing up 30+ minutes before ice times and crowding into dressing rooms with no masks.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:55 AM   #90
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah, the facilities thing and access to dressing rooms is tough on the football side, even with our facility being private.

The system works in terms of reporting, we've had to tell a few players to stay home until they can get tested after learning that family members or friends need to get tested.

Attendance is pretty poor right now, even with 9 man football instead of 12 man football, we have a lot of players that are going out of province on vacations for example which is a huge red alert in our safety process.

We're just trying to slog through.

Old 08-20-2020, 04:44 PM   #91
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

http://calgaryminorsoccer.com/news.php?news_id=1889125

CMSA indoor soccer procedures.

Old 08-21-2020, 08:22 AM   #92
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ya know, I think I’m ok with this, a hard reset. Too many of these leagues are strictly for profit. Grande Prairie fought back to one is the big beer leagues coming to town, and created a transparent, not-for-profit league.

Ultimately, the ice will always be there, it’s the middle-management layer, that really owns the concern. Cutting that fat, and reducing $700/player league fees, would be a welcome change.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 08:26 AM   #93
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
Can’t spit in my gloves. I gotta be mindful of that one, if CUSA passes that along.
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2020, 08:58 AM   #94
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Can’t spit in my gloves. I gotta be mindful of that one, if CUSA passes that along.
"Excessive yelling" can be a red too. Yelling at your own team, the other team even shouting instructions from the sidelines, if deemed excessive can be a red.

Old 08-21-2020, 12:16 PM   #95
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/calgary-m...lted-1.5073947

Wonder how many more leagues will cancel their season this fall?

Old 08-21-2020, 01:41 PM   #96
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/calgary-m...lted-1.5073947

Wonder how many more leagues will cancel their season this fall?
Well given they lost their places to play it looks like there wasn't much choice. My league lost two ice times until at least Christmas as SAIT is not opening their rink this fall. Two teams dropped out of the league this year so it doesn't affect things as far as number of games go. But any sport that loses access to their venues will be in tough.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 09:55 AM   #97
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Looks like all High School fall sports have at least been pushed off by a month. No camps or team activities.

My gut tells me there won't be a high school football season. And if it happens it will be in the spring, and that will kill another season of Spring Football.

Old 09-06-2020, 05:23 PM   #98
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Updated from our beer league:
  • start date early October
  • lsot two teams who elected not to play this year due to rule changes
  • lost two ice times due to SAIT not opening rink until January
  • league will split into two 4 team divisions and only play divisional games
  • ice times and referees will be split into two divisions too (ie same refs at same rinks/ice times)
  • 25 people in the rink - 11 players per team, two refs, one time keeper
  • faceoff to start period. Then play tag up (blue line) to initiate play after a stoppage - kind of like shinny I guess
  • penalty shots replace penalties although the league is considering making some penalties time based (ie normal) for more serious infractions
  • penalized play to serve time on players bench rather than penalty box
  • 3 sanitized pucks to be supplied each game by home team - one per period. That is the only time the ref touches puck.
  • league allowing more than 11 players on team roster and only rostered players can play (ie no spares from outside).

League will reevaluate at Christmas and adjust where possible. Two week break at Christmas allows for 'quarantine' and teams to move divisions etc.
Old 09-13-2020, 10:47 AM   #99
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Updated from our beer league:
  • start date early October
  • lsot two teams who elected not to play this year due to rule changes
  • lost two ice times due to SAIT not opening rink until January
  • league will split into two 4 team divisions and only play divisional games
  • ice times and referees will be split into two divisions too (ie same refs at same rinks/ice times)
  • 25 people in the rink - 11 players per team, two refs, one time keeper
  • faceoff to start period. Then play tag up (blue line) to initiate play after a stoppage - kind of like shinny I guess
  • penalty shots replace penalties although the league is considering making some penalties time based (ie normal) for more serious infractions
  • penalized play to serve time on players bench rather than penalty box
  • 3 sanitized pucks to be supplied each game by home team - one per period. That is the only time the ref touches puck.
  • league allowing more than 11 players on team roster and only rostered players can play (ie no spares from outside).

League will reevaluate at Christmas and adjust where possible. Two week break at Christmas allows for 'quarantine' and teams to move divisions etc.
Which league?
Old 09-28-2020, 07:18 PM   #100
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Ya know, I think I’m ok with this, a hard reset. Too many of these leagues are strictly for profit. Grande Prairie fought back to one is the big beer leagues coming to town, and created a transparent, not-for-profit league.

Ultimately, the ice will always be there, it’s the middle-management layer, that really owns the concern. Cutting that fat, and reducing $700/player league fees, would be a welcome change.
Sorry I'm just getting caught up on this due to travel for work and wanted to respond. 1. That same GP league is in Calgary. That league in Calgary has went from 180+ teams a few years ago to around 70 now (maybe less). If you ask the opinion of a lot of people there (and here) you'd probably find that it's less fighting back and more a drop off in the level of service and give a #### about the customer's experience.

I think what you're saying is true about any business. Cut out all the fluff and prices could be cheaper for everything.

I run beer league recreational events and have worked for leagues. Profit is made because there is a level of service provided. I started that original GP league for that company btw. The reason people like(d) the league concept is because they didn't have to do any of the stuff people hate doing. Collecting fees, scheduling ice, scheduling games, dealing with players/managers/refs/score keepers, disciplining people. Most importantly people like having someone who cared about their experience and would actively try to make it better.

It's noble that the those guys are going to run it not for profit but I think they will change their tune when they see there is actual real work involved to make leagues go. That being said.... fees at some leagues are quite inflated.

One way your idea could happen though is if community rinks should run their own smaller leagues with their own ice instead of renting it out to for profit league providers. Take the American private rink model approach, like Winsport did or Great Plains.

Last edited by nickerjones; 09-28-2020 at 07:29 PM.
nickerjones is offline   Reply With Quote