Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2024, 11:05 AM   #9061
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

American Fiction was pretty good. Bounces you around emotionally, and the entire premise is perfect. One moment I'm laughing out loud at the absurdity, and the next I'm welling up from joy and sadness.

It's on Prime, check it out.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2024, 12:31 PM   #9062
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I checked out “The Green Knight” last night. I thought it was pretty good. I’d liken to kind of a cross between the omitted scenes from “Fellowship of the Ring” and “Excalibur”.

It begs the question, was there ever really a “beheading game”? The whole thing reminds me of Slap Mountain competition.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 12:53 PM   #9063
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The trope of the beheading game appears in 11 recorded works of medieval literature. Of these, two are Irish, four French, two German, and three English. The trope is believed to have originated in Irish mythology, the mythic cycles of which were subsequently adapted into 12th-century French chivalric romance. From there, the trope was introduced in 13th-century German and 14th-century English poetry.[1] The beheading game itself is adapted from the motif of the Exchange of Blows, in which a stranger propositions a hero with a challenge: the hero may strike a blow upon the stranger, but they agree to have that same blow returned to them the following day.[2] The unwritten folkloric origins of the trope remain unknown, but some philological scholars speculate that the Exchange of Blows derives from an ancient myth in which Summer and Winter do battle at the change of seasons.[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beheading_game

Sounds like "no".
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 01:16 PM   #9064
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Sure, here's one.

It's a very fun movie that doesn't take itself too seriously, and is a love letter to stunt performers everywhere. Gosling is extremely affable and relatable, and the story does just enough to satisfy viewers for a plot to follow. Hannah Waddingham is amazing in her role. It's a little cheesy at times, but full marks for the entertainment value, and pretty funny at times as well. I haven no idea what he is referring to as "boomer humor", I didn't get that vibe at all.

7.5/10. Not the best movie you'll ever see, but definitely worth a watch.
It's "a love letter to stunt performers" is just marketing. In fact, there is a little introduction with the director and Gosling at the beginning of the movie where they say exactly that.

I suggest not falling for the spin. It's not a love letter to stunt performers; the stunt performers are just the characters in the movie. It's no deeper than that. It's like saying Caddyshack is a love letter to golf course maintenance staff, or Ski School is a love letter to ski instructors, or Downton Abbey is a love letter to aristocrats and their staff. It's just a meaningless statement and perspective.

"Boomer humour" is a comment on the weak, straight-ahead one-liner-type jokes that aren't clever or referential; just obvious and unfunny tripe. Also a lowest-common-denominator film in that the characters are caricatures. They are not real or plausible as actual human beings. Makes it very difficult to enjoy if you like quality entertainment.

Emily Blunt is her usual unbearable self. How can she not keep her mouth closed? Are her jaw muscles paralyzed? She just wanders around woodenly with her mouth hanging open.

Pure garbage. Avoid. It's terrible.

And I've seen it twice, if you can believe it. Once as a matinee by myself, and then I went again with my family on Mother's Day because my wife wanted to see it.

I'd have to say it's worse on the second watch. Quite incredible that so much money can go into something like this and it be so terrible.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 04:22 PM   #9065
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
OMG, yeah, it was so lame and boring. I mean, par for the course for Planet of the Apes movies, but a very dull watch.
Really? The 2011 run was amazing. One of, if not the best trilogy we've gotten in two decades! And as a bonus it wrapped itself up nicely.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2024, 04:26 PM   #9066
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Really? The 2011 run was amazing. One of, if not the best trilogy we've gotten in two decades! And as a bonus it wrapped itself up nicely.
Not for me. I just don't buy into the world. I feel nothing with the apes.
Old 05-15-2024, 12:08 AM   #9067
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not for me. I just don't buy into the world. I feel nothing with the apes.
Then why'd you go see the new one?

The Twilight universe didn't do it for me in the first one so naturally I wouldn't expend time going to see the rest of them.
TrentCrimmIndependent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 01:31 AM   #9068
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked The Fall Guy. Quite a few laughs. Especially as a film worker, a lot of nice nods towards the people behind the camera. Would agree with most that, oddly, the only time it really drags is when the two leads are actually talking to each other. It's strange because individually theyre both great. But it's minor because there's not a lot of it. Mostly it's just some fun, silly action.

8/10
Old 05-15-2024, 10:34 AM   #9069
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
I've heard nothing but good things, but I just couldnt get into it.

I dont know why. I remember my dad forcing me to watch the original Planet of the Apes saga and for whatever reason I hated it. It was like torture.

Then there was that one with Mark Wahlburg? I hated that one too.

So I just never got into it.

This is my Planet of the Apes!!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 12:11 PM   #9070
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Then why'd you go see the new one?

The Twilight universe didn't do it for me in the first one so naturally I wouldn't expend time going to see the rest of them.
I go to every movie. I enjoy being at the theater and even if the movie is bad I like critiquing it after. If it's super bad or I'm not feeling it I'll just leave. But $20 to see somebody's $100 million creation? It's a bargain even if it sucks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 12:17 PM   #9071
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I go to every movie. I enjoy being at the theater and even if the movie is bad I like critiquing it after. If it's super bad or I'm not feeling it I'll just leave. But $20 to see somebody's $100 million creation? It's a bargain even if it sucks.
I feel you're kinda obligated to CP to see - and hate - as many movies as possible.

Sliver's "two thumbs way down and one up your ass" reviews are one of the best things on the board.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 06:36 PM   #9072
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ok cool, was curious.

I'm in the same boat with most movies. A little more picky these days but for a while would check out just about anything.

Studios have gotten lazy these days and if a film looks undercooked or like its riding a hot commodity or trend I'll let reviews determine if I bother watching.

Most original-looking films I will check out though.

Only difference is if I pay for entry will stick it out. Can always catch a nap if it's that atrocious.
TrentCrimmIndependent is online now   Reply With Quote