Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2014, 09:08 AM   #21
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Zacha has been selected 1st overall by Sarnia in the CHL import draft

and per his agent:

Allan Walsh @walsha
Sarnia was advised that Pavel Zacha has a professional contract in Czech Republic for 2 more years and has no interest in playing for them.

Last edited by sureLoss; 07-02-2014 at 09:10 AM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2014, 09:15 AM   #22
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

why would they waste 1st overall on a player who doesn't want to come over?

Preds 2nd round pick Kamenev goes to Quebec at 2, but I think he has a contract in Russia for next season as well. Russian forward Nikita Milekhin (2015 eligible) is 3rd overall, he goes to Lethbridge.

Last edited by devo22; 07-02-2014 at 09:17 AM.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:16 AM   #23
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Walsh just ripping into Sarnia's GM

Allan Walsh @walsha
Sarnia just wasted the #1 overall pick in the CHL Import Draft on a player who's not coming and has a professional contract. #RookieGM
Old 07-03-2014, 01:56 PM   #24
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

2015 NHL Draft, aka, "The Big One". With three first round picks (two of them likely in the top ten, or possible top 5), this could be the most important draft round in Sabres history.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:26 AM   #25
Stanathan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Probably irrational distaste, but I really hope the Sabres "Oiler" their rebuild, I really don't like them. I'd be happy if they never made the playoffs again and then folded. Like I said, probably irrational distaste.
Stanathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:50 AM   #26
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
2015 NHL Draft, aka, "The Big One". With three first round picks (two of them likely in the top ten, or possible top 5), this could be the most important draft round in Sabres history.
I wouldn't count on the Islanders pick being top 5
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2014, 11:23 AM   #27
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I wouldn't count on the Islanders pick being top 5
Yeah... in the East at least on paper they look more like a bubble team then a bottom five team.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:18 PM   #28
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Great for Buffalo. This is a Flames forum. We don't care.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2014, 11:54 PM   #29
Headshot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Great for Buffalo. This is a Flames forum. We don't care.
I care.

And I'm a flames fan.
Headshot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Headshot For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2014, 07:57 PM   #30
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The one guy on early lists I think is rated too highly is Barzal... i don't get how he is a projected top 10 pick and Nick Merkley is not in that list when Merkley outplayed him last year.

I get how some guys who are smallish drop etc but these two guys are almost identical in size and skating is a wash for me, I know the Rockets were better than the t birds but Barzal played 1st line everything last year including PP and Merkley got way less icetime, still scored 9 more goals and more points.

If you get a chance I'd be interested to hear your thoughts FCAV.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:16 PM   #31
Red John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
The one guy on early lists I think is rated too highly is Barzal... i don't get how he is a projected top 10 pick and Nick Merkley is not in that list when Merkley outplayed him last year.

I get how some guys who are smallish drop etc but these two guys are almost identical in size and skating is a wash for me, I know the Rockets were better than the t birds but Barzal played 1st line everything last year including PP and Merkley got way less icetime, still scored 9 more goals and more points.

If you get a chance I'd be interested to hear your thoughts FCAV.
Was just coming into the thread to post this exactly. Barzal is nothing special, he had a lot of hype last year but wasn't even the top scoring rookie.

Nick Merkley is a better player right now than Barzal. There's been a ton of hype about the 2015 draft but if Barzal ends up a top five pick then it'll be an average draft at best.
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?
Red John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:45 AM   #32
Commandant
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Our look at the top 10.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/07/...015-nhl-draft/

New article every day.
Commandant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Commandant For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2014, 12:25 PM   #33
FCAV
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We've opened up our 2015 Draft Center and you can check out profiles on our top-ranked prospects from next year's draft here: http://futureconsiderations.ca/playe...h=2015&letter=

Also, for those that like the looks of our rankings page, it is now updated to reflect the 2015 crop as well: http://futureconsiderations.ca/top-rankings/
FCAV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FCAV For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2014, 01:50 AM   #34
jemjey
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If Calgary picked second, do you think they'd choose Eichel or Hanifin?

I couldn't pass up Eichel, but Hanifin fills a glaring organizational hole.

Last edited by jemjey; 07-27-2014 at 02:03 AM.
jemjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 02:02 AM   #35
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemjey View Post

interesting to think about.
Take Eichel and move other things for D-men like a Sven/Granlund or any of our depth
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2014, 09:19 AM   #36
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty sure we'll wind up picking Hanifin at 3rd Overall. But hoping that my sig comes true (win lottery, pick Connor).
Old 07-28-2014, 06:16 PM   #37
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemjey View Post

You go with the one that you think will have the best, most impactful NHL career. Fill the organizational need via trade or free agency.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:24 AM   #38
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Exactly as Sureloss posted. You never give up the better player in a draft because organizationally you are weak somewhere else. That is what trades and FA periods are for - to round out your team.

Though it will be a huge piece to the rebuild, having a bona fide #1 defencemen may not be the 'make it or break it' issue with Calgary. If you look at the prospect base as a whole, you see an identity forming. All the prospects are essentially high character, high IQ types, and for the most part are fairly well lauded for their complete 200ft games. Even a guy like Granlund who I had personally pigeon-holed as a highly offensive but defensively deficient player has proved himself to be great in all zones (as evidenced by Hartley loving him and throwing him out in all situations in his brief time up).

To me, this means that these kids will be growing up in an environment that will be promoting strong and complete games, and this will only help the defence out. The Flames may be able to get away with throwing out competent but perhaps not 'top end' top pairing guys. Obviously this is not the preference here, but the Flames in '04 went pretty damn far by having their forwards competing hard in all 3 zones (and of course, a very outstanding goalie).

At any rate, you have to always pick the best player available, and hope that somehow you fill in the other holes at some time by having prospects exceed their potential, trading for them, or signing them as FAs. Never pass on value.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2014, 12:47 AM   #39
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Exactly as Sureloss posted. You never give up the better player in a draft because organizationally you are weak somewhere else. That is what trades and FA periods are for - to round out your team.

Though it will be a huge piece to the rebuild, having a bona fide #1 defencemen may not be the 'make it or break it' issue with Calgary. If you look at the prospect base as a whole, you see an identity forming. All the prospects are essentially high character, high IQ types, and for the most part are fairly well lauded for their complete 200ft games. Even a guy like Granlund who I had personally pigeon-holed as a highly offensive but defensively deficient player has proved himself to be great in all zones (as evidenced by Hartley loving him and throwing him out in all situations in his brief time up).

To me, this means that these kids will be growing up in an environment that will be promoting strong and complete games, and this will only help the defence out. The Flames may be able to get away with throwing out competent but perhaps not 'top end' top pairing guys. Obviously this is not the preference here, but the Flames in '04 went pretty damn far by having their forwards competing hard in all 3 zones (and of course, a very outstanding goalie).

At any rate, you have to always pick the best player available, and hope that somehow you fill in the other holes at some time by having prospects exceed their potential, trading for them, or signing them as FAs. Never pass on value.
Agreed.

Ideally though, I would like the best player at where we are picking to be a defenseman.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mile For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2014, 06:05 AM   #40
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile View Post
Agreed.

Ideally though, I would like the best player at where we are picking to be a defenseman.
That would be the perfect case scenario, but we would likely be picking 3rd or 4th in that case. Kylington or Hanifin would do nicely in that scenario.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote