Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2018, 10:47 AM   #2061
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
If anyone enjoyed watching Drugs Inc., Netflix has released its own version called Dope. It follows dealers, users and law enforcement.

It's well done.
Watched episodes 2,3, and 4 but episode 1 is region locked?
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:57 PM   #2062
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Probably already mentioned, but Halt and Catch Fire fourth season is now on Netflix.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2018, 12:58 PM   #2063
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched the Chappelle stand up special, and I thought it was better than last years. I found myself having a little more respect for him from his serious story telling during this special, and how he alluded to walking away from all that money due to principle with Comedy Central. Respectable, yet funny guy.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 01:46 PM   #2064
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finished season 4 of black mirror. It is simply the best series on netflix imo. Damn.

My episode rankings for season 4 for are 1,5,6,4,3,2. Ya, Hang the DJ likely to get the most acclaim, but I was personally disappointed with the ending.

Also watched White Christmas from season 2 as I somehow missed it earlier... incredible.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 02:46 PM   #2065
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
IIRC, there was a Winnipeg mention in the series as well
Calgary actually.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:58 PM   #2066
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:
icon57

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
How is The Good Place not a bigger deal? How is it that no one seems to be talking about this show? It's fantastic.
I'm seeing more and more online chatter about it, but it's definitely flown mostly under the radar til now. Half hour shows get a tiny fraction of the discussion and analysis that hour long shows receive.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 05:57 PM   #2067
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Probably already mentioned, but Halt and Catch Fire fourth season is now on Netflix.
I don't know how I never watched this show when it aired. It's totally up my alley as someone who grew up as a computer nerd in the 80s. I'm just about to watch the final episode.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:06 PM   #2068
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Finished season 4 of black mirror. It is simply the best series on netflix imo. Damn.

My episode rankings for season 4 for are 1,5,6,4,3,2. Ya, Hang the DJ likely to get the most acclaim, but I was personally disappointed with the ending.

Also watched White Christmas from season 2 as I somehow missed it earlier... incredible.
I didn't like Metalhead that much personally, so my order was 1,4,6,3,2,5.

Love the show though. It's too bad the whole series starts with "the pig" because it probably turns a lot of people away from giving it a shot.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2018, 06:30 PM   #2069
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I really liked episode 6 and 4 the surprises shouldnt have surprised me as much as they did.

5 didn't do it for me, it just didn't fit in with what the rest of the series has been trying to do right now.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:47 PM   #2070
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I didn't like Metalhead that much personally, so my order was 1,4,6,3,2,5.

Love the show though. It's too bad the whole series starts with "the pig" because it probably turns a lot of people away from giving it a shot.
No way! Thats like the rite of passage! If you make it past 'the pig' then your mettle has been tested and you can withstand the rigours of the show.

That being said, I have to rewatch E4 because it seems to be everyone's favourite but I found it plodding and predictable, I didnt really like it.

I figured it out about a third of the way through which is unusual for Black Mirror and then found it a bit pedestrian.

I'm kind of surprised that it gets the acclaim that it does. It is the best episode of the season thus far, I just didnt find it all that great.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:38 PM   #2071
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
IIRC, there was a Winnipeg mention in the series as well
Quote:
Calgary actually.
Winnipeg as well. Just found it: Season 2, Episode 1. About 24 minutes in
Old 01-02-2018, 09:42 PM   #2072
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
Watched episodes 2,3, and 4 but episode 1 is region locked?
That's strange. It works okay for me.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:16 PM   #2073
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another solid offering of episodes from Black Mirror, but like other seasons the vast differences between them will lead to pretty wide variance in opinion. But to me it's clear how these ones rank.

U.S.S. Callister & Black Museum were the clear winners, and rank up there with San Junipero from season 3 for my overall top 3.

Hang the DJ and Metalhead were both quite good.

Arkangel was just meh.

Crocodile was borderline too disturbing and bleak. It felt that was all they were going for. I'd definitely put this last, but I'm sure they're well aware that most people wouldn't enjoy it.
Jiggy_12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:21 AM   #2074
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone that liked Stranger Things needs to watch Dark. It's similar in concept but a little more adult and arguably superior. Maybe it's not getting the hype it deserves because it's German but the writing on this show is next level as there's so many moving parts and little details that you may not even notice the first watch through.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 01-04-2018 at 10:23 AM.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2018, 12:12 PM   #2075
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy_12 View Post
Another solid offering of episodes from Black Mirror, but like other seasons the vast differences between them will lead to pretty wide variance in opinion. But to me it's clear how these ones rank.

U.S.S. Callister & Black Museum were the clear winners, and rank up there with San Junipero from season 3 for my overall top 3.

Hang the DJ and Metalhead were both quite good.

Arkangel was just meh.

Crocodile was borderline too disturbing and bleak. It felt that was all they were going for. I'd definitely put this last, but I'm sure they're well aware that most people wouldn't enjoy it.
This is very similar to where I'd put my list. The only adjustment that I had was Arkangel and Crocodile both being crap to me. Arkangel just didn't have the same twist/flair as the rest of them. But overall it was a great season. I keep going back to rewatch Black Museum to see all of the artifacts again.
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:20 PM   #2076
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy_12 View Post
I have just watched the first 3 episodes of the latest season of Black Mirror, but had an interesting reaction to 'Crocodile' (episode 3). It affected me so much, I wanted to turn it off. I didn't.

It makes me think about what good art is. If watching this episode affected me so much emotionally, and will therefore stick in my memory much more deeply that other episodes, does that make this episode 'better' than other episodes of this show? I guess it has to mean that for me, even if it was unpleasant to watch.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:26 PM   #2077
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How is The Good Place not a bigger deal? How is it that no one seems to be talking about this show? It's fantastic.
I’ve been trumpeting it to all my usual people since it started but can’t seem to get anyone to watch for some reason. Hilarious and creative show, the second season has taken the twist from season 1 and really ran with it.

I guess the issue is you really have to watch from the start. If you just tuned into an episode you’d have no idea what the hell was happening.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:45 PM   #2078
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
We started watching The Good Place based on your recommendation. So good. We're watching on Netflix. I guess we have to find a way to watch season 2 right away.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:10 PM   #2079
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really enjoyed Season 4 of Black Mirror, overall

My order from best to worst: 6, 1, 5, 4, 3, 2

Black Museum was just utterly enthralling
Old 01-05-2018, 11:41 AM   #2080
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Strong recommendation for Manhunt: Unabomber.

I just finished smashing through it in two days. Probably the most binge addicting show I've watched. It is so very very well done and having a vague memory of the whole thing from my childhood made it that much more interesting.

Only issue is I now find myself somewhat thinking the freaking Unabomber was onto something with his worldview and manifesto. Living off the land in the middle of nowhere is slightly more appealing this morning. WTF.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frequitude For This Useful Post: