Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2019, 12:01 AM   #221
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
The Neal signing was almost universally praised when it was announced. I don't pin that one on Treliving for a second (and Neal could still work out, he finished the year marginally better with 12 points in his last 25 games).

Something that I don't know if everyone knows:

Since New Years' Eve:

Mangiapane - 13 points in 37 games
Neal - 12 points in 25 games

I'm really willing to give Neal a shot with a better centre than Jankowski.

These are both good point. Not knocking the players, or BT just looking for answers. It might be lack of experience concerning the GM's approach?
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:02 AM   #222
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Neal signing was almost universally praised when it was announced. I don't pin that one on Treliving for a second (and Neal could still work out, he finished the year marginally better with 12 points in his last 25 games).

Since New Years' Eve:

I'm 100% willing to give Neal another shot. I'm not sure I completely buy the excuse of him not being able to train much the last two off seasons, but I'm willing to accept it. Finishing the year going almost 0.5ppg is a better sign than most here will acknowledge
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:04 AM   #223
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:

Since New Years' Eve:

To be fair I wasn't happy with the Neal signing because of the term he got. A
2-3 year deal would have been fine as opposed to the 5 he got.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:07 AM   #224
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Hey, I said almost universally praised.

Looking like a good call so far.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:09 AM   #225
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
I somewhat disagree. Sure maybe he couldn't see it coming; But if he had the prior experience he may have done things differently, He could have put them on show me contracts or signed them to slightly bigger contracts for shorter term like Chicago is doing with Lehner 1yr $5 million. Should he be absolved of blame, is it lack of experience, or just bad luck? Either way maybe he is looking in the wrong places, age, range, type of player. This is an area that can assessed and improved upon going forward just like Chicago is doing. It may be on the players but the decision to go ahead and pay them has met mixed results so what is the solution?
Neither of them were coming here on one year deals...both were coming off big playoffs and had multi year offers elsewhere.

hindsight neither worked out, #### happens

Calgary is a tough market for a GM...people need to stop looking at this big american markets and saying "just do that"
Old 07-02-2019, 12:22 AM   #226
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Neither of them were coming here on one year deals...both were coming off big playoffs and had multi year offers elsewhere.

hindsight neither worked out, #### happens

Calgary is a tough market for a GM...people need to stop looking at this big american markets and saying "just do that"

BT talks about improving all the time and about areas he could have done better. I am just trying to look at why we have signed 2 players that both have struggled as these 2 have. Sure "it happens". It is still a set back and we want to win the cup so assessing and improving as we go gets us a little closer.

Some people get married 3, 4 times before they realize, " hey maybe I need to take a different approach.

Maybe both "coming off big playoffs was the wrong approach?"
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:44 AM   #227
The Professor
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Are there any rumours about what plan B is/was for moving Brodie?
The Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Professor For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 08:15 AM   #228
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaikorven View Post
I don't understand how BT is responsible for Brower or Neal though. By all accounts they should have worked out. It's on the players not the GM with these two.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
The flames traded for and signed middle tier players to get to the playoffs rather than wait a little longer to build through the draft.

Offered term and no trades to players who didn't deserve it and put themselves in cap jail as a result.

For good teams, free agency is for adding small dollar depth, top tier free agent to push you over the top or key top tier role player to address vital need.

The flames under treliving use free agency to plug holes in the middle of the lineup.

That's how you get Kevin Hayes at 7 million.

https://thewincolumn.ca/2019/06/28/b...dont-mix-well/

Basically all of trelivings free agent signings have become an inconvenience with only a couple notable exceptions.

Is there a other gm in the league with as many buyouts as Tre over his tenure?

It's not a good look.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 08:56 AM   #229
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nor is all the near misses, Bishop, Stone, Zucker, Kadri etc.

Last edited by Manhattanboy; 07-02-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:07 AM   #230
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Nor is all the near misses, Bishop, Stone, Zucker, Kadri etc.
The near misses are glaring only because of how active Treliving is overall. Is there another GM who has consummated as many big trades as Treliving has? Hamilton, Hamonic, Lindholm, Hanifin etc.

I would much rather the GM near miss from time to time as opposed to seldom swinging or hitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 09:49 AM   #231
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
The near misses are glaring only because of how active Treliving is overall. Is there another GM who has consummated as many big trades as Treliving has? Hamilton, Hamonic, Lindholm, Hanifin etc.

I would much rather the GM near miss from time to time as opposed to seldom swinging or hitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What on Earth...

No text, the misses are glaring because they are all for players who would've filled massive holes in the lineup were it not for having spent assets and caps space on players who weren't worth it.

The flames could've used vezina Calibre goaltending last season, or a 30 goal second line centre, or a top 5 winger in the entire league.

Unfortunately the flames had Neal stone and Lazar instead.

Oh well, at least Tre went Big Game Hunting.

This quoted post is essentially saying you'd rather he made bad trades than no trades which I guess is par for the course for fans who just want to cheer everything.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:49 AM   #232
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
He wasn't available for 2-3 years. It was likely 5 or nothing.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:52 AM   #233
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's almost farcical the way some hold certain teams up on a pedestal or build their own strawmen hockey teams to slag the Flames. Treliving's made mistakes, bad signings, too many buy-outs, but guess what, "good teams" plug holes in their line-ups via free agency as well, especially in the middle. There were hundreds of player transactions yesterday and it wasn't exclusive to depth or high end players.

Good teams like Pittsburg signed Tanev yesterday, good teams like Washington signed Brett Connolly. Good teams like the ones in the cup final a month ago had David Backas, Tyler Bozak and David Perron in their respective line-ups, three good players but no one will mistake them for stars nor 4th line depth.

The Flames and Brad Treliving have lots of work to do but stop lying to yourself about what got the good teams where they are. It certainly isn't mistake free signings. All teams have free agent blunders.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 10:10 AM   #234
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I'm 100% willing to give Neal another shot. I'm not sure I completely buy the excuse of him not being able to train much the last two off seasons, but I'm willing to accept it. Finishing the year going almost 0.5ppg is a better sign than most here will acknowledge
Commodore mentioned he spent the summer healing rather than training and likely was near the bottom in fitness training, I guess we'll have to find out if it was just an excuse or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
He wasn't available for 2-3 years. It was likely 5 or nothing.
Yeah, Vegas offered him 4 x $5.25m
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:12 AM   #235
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Commodore mentioned he spent the summer healing rather than training and likely was near the bottom in fitness training, I guess we'll have to find out if it was just an excuse or not.

Yeah, Vegas offered him 4 x $5.25m
I don’t like that argument. How could he have not gotten in game shape by April?
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:13 AM   #236
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Yeah exactly. Not sure I completely buy it but it does make some sense. I'm willing to find out though. One positive sign is he's at least been saying the right things, not acting like nothing is wrong like Brouwer.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:23 AM   #237
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
I don’t like that argument. How could he have not gotten in game shape by April?
A lot of the wear and tear of the season just allows players to maintain their bodies throughout the season. It's why so many players put so much emphasis on shorter breaks in the summer now. Improvements are done in the summer, maintenance is done in the season.

If Neal spent the summer healing, it's unlikely that once the grind begins he'll have time to focus on strength training to ensure his first few strides are fast etc. If you watch some of the training Frolik did last summer in preparation for the season, and then imagine Neal not doing any of that, you can see why there was an issue.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 10:23 AM   #238
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
From what I remember based on some player quotes, the summer is for getting in shape, and the season is basically just trying to maintain it and get through.

I think because of the tough slog of a full season there’s not much players can can do to make any big gains or improvements. The season takes a big and continuous toll on the body. I think if you’re behind the 8 ball on October 1, you’re likely stuck there. It’s tough making gains when you’re in a constant cycle of preparing for and recovering from games.

You may not like it, but I don’t think it’s rare. Off the top of my head I can’t think of a guy who has come into training camp behind and caught up to his peers as the season goes on.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:35 AM   #239
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Look no further than Nylander last year, and he could train through the summer but was never able to catch up on game speed after not being ready for things because of camp. Neal same thing and although he was in camp etc, he was never able to get to speed because he hadn't been able to train through the summer.

That sounds plausible at least.

I think he has a bounce back to some degree at least, because he cant be any worse than he was last year and he seems like a straight shooter and honorable guy who knows he has to get the work in this time.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:38 AM   #240
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

A bounceback isn't ridiculous. I don't think he puts up first line numbers by any means but 40 points would be a massive success