Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2018, 03:51 PM   #61
skeena1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
I watched every game in the 80s on grey market satellite. It feels good to return to my roots with reddit streams when the services I pay for let me down.

Your failure to get the level of service that was achievable in the 80s shouldn’t mean you accept crappy service now.
Were all the games televised in the 80's?
skeena1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 03:56 PM   #62
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeena1 View Post
Were all the games televised in the 80's?
Pretty much.

There would be 1 or 2 a year that weren't on the oppositions home TV screens, but mostly all of them were somewhere on a satellite....then scrambling happened and it was a chess game.
Old 12-22-2018, 03:57 PM   #63
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Ive got 4MB/sec, should be more then enough. Live out of town have streamed MLB.tv, netflix, HBO on demand, tsn go. all work without buffering/have HD picture. Maybe you have fibre optik. its not an option. Cell is is too sketchy for a telus hub.

Its random too. Some days doesnt buffer much, others its nonstop. I know enough to make sure nothing else is using up bandwidth.

Yeah, I also don’t think this is a SNNow issue. I’ve had mine for two years with and have never had a single problem. Not ever. I only upgraded to Shaw150 from 100 six months ago, and even before then it was virtually problem free. I am presently streaming two games—one with SNNow—and both look great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 04:01 PM   #64
skeena1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Pretty much.

There would be 1 or 2 a year that weren't on the oppositions home TV screens, but mostly all of them were somewhere on a satellite....then scrambling happened and it was a chess game.
Well, the Canucks typically showed only 20 or so regional games a year so you weren't often seeing your favourite team if they were playing them.
Old 12-22-2018, 08:09 PM   #65
Press Level
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke43 View Post
Buy a VPN service
Yes, this is what I do as I'm on the road a lot. Works great for SN now and Shaw Freerange TV.
Press Level is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 08:32 PM   #66
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Yeah, I also don’t think this is a SNNow issue. I’ve had mine for two years with and have never had a single problem. Not ever. I only upgraded to Shaw150 from 100 six months ago, and even before then it was virtually problem free. I am presently streaming two games—one with SNNow—and both look great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
if i am correct shaw 100 would be 100Mb/sec? Thats why you are fine. What I am saying is that the drivers or streaming engines/software that encapsulates the video that SN uses for their streaming must require way more bandwidth then any other streaming service I have ever used. so if 2.5 to 3Mb/sec is enough to stream a decent tsn go feed then 4 to 4.5 Mb/sec would be required to do the same with SN now. Of course with crazy fast internet its fine.

Last edited by Samonadreau; 12-22-2018 at 08:34 PM.
Samonadreau is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2018, 09:38 PM   #67
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Odd, I had game centre and switched to Sportsnet Now this season. I find it remarkably better for Flames games and in overall quality. I never have buffering or picture quality issues and haven’t run into near as many issues with not being able to watch a game).

Get better internet?
I've done speedtests in hotels I've been in and gotten 0.5mbps, terribly slow, yet an illegal stream will still run fine yet SNOW won't even load the menu
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 09:49 PM   #68
FaFaFlamey
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I remember my cousins from Edmonton were over during a Flames game in the 80s and were laughing when they realized the voice of Stampede Wrestling was calling our hockey games. Eddie was the best.
FaFaFlamey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FaFaFlamey For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2018, 01:59 AM   #69
skeena1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I've done speedtests in hotels I've been in and gotten 0.5mbps, terribly slow, yet an illegal stream will still run fine yet SNOW won't even load the menu
Sorry, that makes no sense.
Old 12-23-2018, 04:35 AM   #70
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Why do people still pay 100s of dollars for games where half are blacked out? Theres other options out there *cough cough*.
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 04:36 AM   #71
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoRock View Post
The Toronto Sports Network didn't show anything about the Flames/Lightning game last night. Top teams in the league play in an epic showdown and they went on about useless Leafs BS. They all suck.
Exactly, see my sig.
Old 12-23-2018, 09:53 AM   #72
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Well, the Canucks typically showed only 20 or so regional games a year so you weren't often seeing your favourite team if they were playing them.
Back then though it seemed like those match ups were almost always on HNIC or as a local regional game.

It was very rare a game couldnt be found involving 2 Canadian clubs, especially the local one.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:19 AM   #73
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry, that makes no sense.
How doesn't it? It shows how terribly optimized SNOW is
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 01:13 PM   #74
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

SNET isn't all bad! Damien Cox no longer employed by Sportsnet.
https://twitter.com/user/status/1076854452135567361
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2018, 01:21 PM   #75
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Ehh, Sportsnet is obligated to show a certain number of games regionally. And, frankly, the Blues are as good a team as any to keep regional.

What bothers me though is how rare it is for their day after morning replay to be a Flames game. Especially on Friday. Why was Boston-whoever the game they replayed instead of Flames-Tampa? On Sportsnet West?
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 08:19 PM   #76
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Not only is their production poor but their shunning of out of market fans at times is criminal. Last Saturdays Flames game was a regional. Tmrw's game is only on SNW again while SN is showing the Sharks and the Kings. Why the hell am I being blacked out from watching a Canadian team but I can watch two American teams? Network is a f'n joke!
Same thing happened here a couple of nights ago as the Montreal Canadiens Vs Vegas Golden Knights game was blacked out here in Calgary. It was TSN that blacked out the Vegas/Montreal game though.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:33 PM   #77
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I remember as a kid staying up until 11:30 on a Sunday night just to see a replay clip of maybe two goals total from a Flames game in say Quebec City. That was as much as you would get a lot of the time in the 80's.

Yup I remember waiting up or waking up early to get the newspaper the second it arrived just so I could find out who got all the goals and assists and what goalie was in net.

I also remember how great it was getting the Thursday (or was it Wednesday?) newspaper when once a week they would print out all the stats for every player on every team haha. I used to stare and study those Stats for HOURS. I could always name top 5 scorers for all of the 21 NHL teams.

Thursday was also the day that all Hockey pools would "officially" be updated. Crazy to think that's how things once were
Old 12-23-2018, 08:42 PM   #78
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsawwassen View Post
Exactly, see my sig.

It's where they are based and Toronto and Southern Ontario is by far the biggest Market. All the other Canadian teams put together don't have the population of GTA/Southern Ontario so it only makes sense that they would get the most coverage by far.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:51 PM   #79
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnlyBilko View Post
Yup I remember waiting up or waking up early to get the newspaper the second it arrived just so I could find out who got all the goals and assists and what goalie was in net.

I also remember how great it was getting the Thursday (or was it Wednesday?) newspaper when once a week they would print out all the stats for every player on every team haha. I used to stare and study those Stats for HOURS. I could always name top 5 scorers for all of the 21 NHL teams.

Thursday was also the day that all Hockey pools would "officially" be updated. Crazy to think that's how things once were
I remember it being Tuesday. Other than that, everything else in your post is like you lifted it from my own memories!
mikephoen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2018, 09:06 PM   #80
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
I remember it being Tuesday. Other than that, everything else in your post is like you lifted it from my own memories!

Haha was it Tuesday? Tuesday crossed my mind as well you could very well be right. I just remember that day was like my favorite day of the week. I had that paper stretched out across my bed, coffee table etc and I would just study it and try and figure out what pace my favorite players were on, what rookies were doing good, what teams had the most 10/20/30 etc goal scorers and stuff like that. I would always get my older brothers to quiz me on top 5 scorers on random teams