Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 08:29 PM   #13421
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Blockbuster time:

Calgary 1st
Frolik
Jankowski
Neal

for

Dubnyk
Zucker
Cmon, you’re better than that!
Old 04-26-2019, 08:38 PM   #13422
BagoPucks
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not a fan of all this Zucker talk. We dont need to re-patch the roster together and try again. I am probably in the minority that believes that the core of this team isnt good enough to win in the playoffs. It should be about playoff success if we are going to take the next step. We need a top line centre or a top pairing dman but they arent easy to come by.

Since it isnt- I would like to see Gio traded when his trade value is high.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:53 PM   #13423
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Chew on this

Sportsnet Stats
@SNstats
·
1h
Did You Know? Among the Top 20 goal scorers in the regular season, just 5 remain in the 2019 #StanleyCup Playoffs (Atkinson, MacKinnon, Pastrnak, Pavelski & Marchand).

I presume you also chewed on this:

At least 6 of the top 20 regular season goal scorers didn’t even partake in the playoffs. (Edm x2, Chi x2, Eichel, Hoffman)

Only 10 of the 16 teams to make the playoffs actually had a top 20 goal scorer.

Having top 20 goal scorers doesn’t necessarily get you in the playoffs and if you do get in, it doesn’t keep you there.
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2019, 11:42 PM   #13424
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Some of you are really underrating Zucker here.

Heading into his 28-year old season with 4 years left on his contract at $5.5M per.

Didn't play on the PK much this season for whatever reason but he's proven himself to be an excellent (and I mean excellent) PK'er throughout his career and with his speed combined with Huska's PK system, that would create plenty of shorthanded chances for Zucker.

He still somehow managed 21 goals and 42 points despite having the second lowest shooting percentage of his career at 9.8% (2.3% lower than his career average) and an incredibly low oiSH% of 6.0% (2.6% lower than his career average).

He's in line for a nice offensive season next year when his averages even out, especially considering he was on the 4th lowest scoring team this season.

Zucker would be an incredible add to the PK and 2nd PP unit, as well as bringing tons of speed, puck possession, two-way play and even a surprising amount of grit considering his 5'11" 183lbs stature.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2019, 12:10 AM   #13425
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
Some of you are really underrating Zucker here.

Heading into his 28-year old season with 4 years left on his contract at $5.5M per.

Didn't play on the PK much this season for whatever reason but he's proven himself to be an excellent (and I mean excellent) PK'er throughout his career and with his speed combined with Huska's PK system, that would create plenty of shorthanded chances for Zucker.

He still somehow managed 21 goals and 42 points despite having the second lowest shooting percentage of his career at 9.8% (2.3% lower than his career average) and an incredibly low oiSH% of 6.0% (2.6% lower than his career average).

He's in line for a nice offensive season next year when his averages even out, especially considering he was on the 4th lowest scoring team this season.

Zucker would be an incredible add to the PK and 2nd PP unit, as well as bringing tons of speed, puck possession, two-way play and even a surprising amount of grit considering his 5'11" 183lbs stature.

I would prefer Brett Connolly hes 6'3, Hes a Free Agent so we dont have to give any picks up.He put up more points than Zucker. He has good foot speed and a good shot. He's top 25 in the league in GAR/60 (fun fact Mark Stone was 1st in the league). Will sign for less than Zucker. Can play C or wing and is younger.

Last edited by Psytic; 04-27-2019 at 03:01 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Psytic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2019, 12:36 AM   #13426
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a bit meh on Zucker-I like him, but I would be hesitant to give a first for him (though another team probably will). It's become such a young man's game, alot of guys start going downhill when they hit 30, and he's 27. He had a 64pt season that kinda seems like an anomaly, and he seems to already be going downhill.
Old 04-27-2019, 06:30 AM   #13427
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I'm a bit meh on Zucker-I like him, but I would be hesitant to give a first for him (though another team probably will). It's become such a young man's game, alot of guys start going downhill when they hit 30, and he's 27. He had a 64pt season that kinda seems like an anomaly, and he seems to already be going downhill.
When the next hockey season starts, Johhny will be 26 and Zucker will be 27.
Old 04-27-2019, 07:45 AM   #13428
CanadaMatt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Blockbuster time:

Calgary 1st
Frolik
Jankowski
Neal

for

Dubnyk
Zucker
Because throwing in pick 26 will convince The Wild to take all of our unwanted players (with a 10+ million cap hit) in exchange for their good players?

I’ve seen our number 1 pick used like this in many ridiculous trade proposals. Does pick 26 have magical superpowers?
Old 04-27-2019, 08:52 AM   #13429
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaMatt View Post
Because throwing in pick 26 will convince The Wild to take all of our unwanted players (with a 10+ million cap hit) in exchange for their good players?

I’ve seen our number 1 pick used like this in many ridiculous trade proposals. Does pick 26 have magical superpowers?
No it's not about the pick it's about Neal being the main piece he has magical powers.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:07 AM   #13430
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
I would prefer Brett Connolly hes 6'3, Hes a Free Agent so we dont have to give any picks up.He put up more points than Zucker. He has good foot speed and a good shot. He's top 25 in the league in GAR/60 (fun fact Mark Stone was 1st in the league). Will sign for less than Zucker. Can play C or wing and is younger.
So trade Brodie for picks and use cap savings to get Connolly? That sounds like a good plan.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Badgers Nose For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2019, 09:17 AM   #13431
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

My new random lineup this morning (a magical fairy took away the Neal contract):

Gaudreau-Hayes-Forsberg
Tkachuk-Lindholm-Mangiapane
Bennett-Backlund-Connolly
Dube-Ryan-Hathaway

Giordano-Andersson
Hanifin-Hamonic
Valimaki-Kylington
Fantenberg

Rittich
Talbot
Old 04-27-2019, 09:35 AM   #13432
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I think Hathaway is gone next year. He's earned a larger contract but Calgary has younger, cheaper guys to bring up. If he moves on, I'd like to see them replace his truculence this off season if possible.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:48 AM   #13433
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I think Hathaway is gone next year. He's earned a larger contract but Calgary has younger, cheaper guys to bring up. If he moves on, I'd like to see them replace his truculence this off season if possible.
I would rather just bring in a guy hungry for a chance in the farm unless they can find someone super cheal. Someone like Lomberg who makes league minimum. Guys who will hit anything just to stay on the main roster (Hathaway, Bouma).
Old 04-27-2019, 10:05 AM   #13434
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guys like Hathaway sometimes price themselves out of the league. He is better served to realize he's got a good situation here, with line-mates that he works well with, and an opportunity to have an NHL job. He would be well advised to take a contract that makes it easy for that to continue.
I don't think Lomberg is close to an NHLer at all.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2019, 10:11 AM   #13435
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I figure Czarnik takes the 4RW spot full time next year and they go cheap and fast on LW. Dube? Assuming Mangiapane graduates to 3L
Old 04-27-2019, 10:13 AM   #13436
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Agree on Hathaway, he's got a good thing going on here, a coach that trusts him on the PK which makes him a bonafide NHL regular.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:18 AM   #13437
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I can also dive into some top 10 pick failures over the last 5 years. Would you trade Monahan for pulju, bennett, barrett Hayton, and lias andersson? Because I would not.
It's all a crap shoot, but I would rather take a known commodity than 4 chances at one.
If you’re suggesting Hayton and Andersson are failed picks you’d be wrong. Waaaaaaaay too early to be writing them off. Same goes for Pulju and Bennett really even though they’re older.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:30 AM   #13438
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Hathaway ain’t going anywhere. We have no one to really replace his role on the team (4th line grinder). Who replaces his speed and physicality? I don’t even see any options at all internally. The 4th line was also arguably one of our best lines in the playoffs and down the stretch.

Why would we start getting rid of players who actually showed up for the playoffs? We need more of them not less
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2019, 10:46 AM   #13439
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
If you’re suggesting Hayton and Andersson are failed picks you’d be wrong. Waaaaaaaay too early to be writing them off. Same goes for Pulju and Bennett really even though they’re older.
Still wouldn't trade Monahan for all 4 of them. The point is that you stick with the guy you know can score 40 and put up over a ppg rather than bank on "potential"
Old 04-27-2019, 10:55 AM   #13440
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Hathaway ain’t going anywhere. We have no one to really replace his role on the team (4th line grinder). Who replaces his speed and physicality? I don’t even see any options at all internally. The 4th line was also arguably one of our best lines in the playoffs and down the stretch.

Why would we start getting rid of players who actually showed up for the playoffs? We need more of them not less
All comes down to contract. Hathaway is fine at his current salary with a slight raise, but Tre will not get Bouma'd again.
Closed Thread