Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 08:22 AM   #11621
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Mangiapane is trending towards 10 goals over a full season as a rookie with 4th line ice time and no pp. Without question seeing the kind of shot he has if he goes to a bad team and gets put in the top six you have at least a 20 goal guy. But never likely to get that chance with the flames. I still think Dube is the better all around player though. It would hurt losing either.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:26 AM   #11622
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Pierre LeBrun @PierreVLeBrun
Plan remains for Wayne Simmonds to play tonight. The points in the standings still matter to Philly. Obviously we’ll see how the trade discussions go...
Old 02-23-2019, 08:31 AM   #11623
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Mangiapane is trending towards 10 goals over a full season as a rookie with 4th line ice time and no pp. Without question seeing the kind of shot he has if he goes to a bad team and gets put in the top six you have at least a 20 goal guy. But never likely to get that chance with the flames. I still think Dube is the better all around player though. It would hurt losing either.
I've always liked mangiapane. There was something good in the water in Barrie for a few years. His history with Rasmus and him working through the ahl are huge positives too.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:32 AM   #11624
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
13 M cap space for Bennett, Tkachuk and 2 goalies.. Whatever the Flames get it will be a rental. ... unless it is a goalie.
It does look really tight at first glance using your numbers. Bennett will cost less than $3M. Rittich will be around the same if they want to move forward with him. A veteran backup should be available for $1M. That leaves $6M for Tkachuk and nothing for anyone else. Thing is the Flames can move Frolik ($4.3M) and Brodie ($4.65M) to free up space. So now you have an additional $10M to play with. That is why it is so important to have a pipeline of good young players to step in and take positions from expensive mid-level players. Sky isn’t falling as bad as you portray for the budget or situation for next season. Downstream we run into some interesting challenges as our prospect pool is very thin and needs restocking.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2019, 08:35 AM   #11625
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC
Not a huge surprise, but none of Hayes/McQuaid/Zuccarello will be in lineup for NYR this afternoon
Old 02-23-2019, 08:37 AM   #11626
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Every day, 2 or 3 posters put in a bunch of effort, outline all the contracts, and show how easily the Flames can fit a top 6 forward under the cap while keeping Tkachuk.

Then 10 posters ignore that, and say “can’t you see we can’t afford this!”, by spending zero effort looking into it. It’s annoying as hell.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:39 AM   #11627
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
It does look really tight at first glance using your numbers. Bennett will cost less than $3M. Rittich will be around the same if they want to move forward with him. A veteran backup should be available for $1M. That leaves $6M for Tkachuk and nothing for anyone else. Thing is the Flames can move Frolik ($4.3M) and Brodie ($4.65M) to free up space. So now you have an additional $10M to play with. That is why it is so important to have a pipeline of good young players to step in and take positions from expensive mid-level players. Sky isn’t falling as bad as you portray for the budget or situation for next season. Downstream we run into some interesting challenges as our prospect pool is very thin and needs restocking.
I wonder if Brodie at the draft will get a similar return as Hamonic or Muzzin. This would solve some of the cupboard issues. With Froliks numbers this year, if he has a good playoff run, I think a team will pay something for him (even a 7th) which is better than us paying to get rid of him.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:39 AM   #11628
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Every day, 2 or 3 posters put in a bunch of effort, outline all the contracts, and show how easily the Flames can fit a top 6 forward under the cap while keeping Tkachuk.

Then 10 posters ignore that, and say “can’t you see we can’t afford this!”, by spending zero effort looking into it. It’s annoying as hell.
No surprise that Ricardow is talking out his ass without doing the math though!
Old 02-23-2019, 08:39 AM   #11629
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

George Richards @GeorgeRichards
#FlaPanthers had Derick Brassard working on fourth line wing yesterday with Bob Boughner saying he wanted to get Jamie McGinn back into the lineup. So expectation is Brassard will be ‘scratched’ tonight and traded by the deadline.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:40 AM   #11630
dieHARDflameZ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
No surprise that Ricardow is talking out his ass without doing the math though!
You mean Debbie Downer right? Shocker.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:57 AM   #11631
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:

Here's the thing, those are long shots at best and hinge on about 5 different things going exactly as they list/wish.

BT has to work in reality with possibilities/probabilities that are not considered. I see none of these consider contract limits, addressing spots needing to be filled in Stockton, leaving wiggle room at the NHL level so if something else comes along there is room to accomplish it etc etc.

Of course anything can happen, but when taking a sober second look at the reality of things, considering where the team is in the standings, not knowing how this core group performs in the playoffs, not knowing how the G situation will play ouy....there is a LOT of room for reflection on some thrown together cap space/use scenario, and this place being what it is, talking about it.

It gets annoying is right.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:00 AM   #11632
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Pretty much all of that "effort" involves us trading away our #2 defenseman so forgive me if I don't think Treliving has the same designs.

Yes, there are ways we can squeeze in a top 6F within the cap and not be reckless with our defense core, but most of them involve packaging negative value contracts like Mike Stone and James Neal with picks/prospects. And the irony of that is that we ostensibly need Mike Stone to convince Mark Stone to re-sign.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 02-23-2019, 09:03 AM   #11633
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Here's the thing, those are long shots at best and hinge on about 5 different things going exactly as they list/wish.

BT has to work in reality with possibilities/probabilities that are not considered. I see none of these consider contract limits, addressing spots needing to be filled in Stockton, leaving wiggle room at the NHL level so if something else comes along there is room to accomplish it etc etc.

Of course anything can happen, but when taking a sober second look at the reality of things, considering where the team is in the standings, not knowing how this core group performs in the playoffs, not knowing how the G situation will play ouy....there is a LOT of room for reflection on some thrown together cap space/use scenario, and this place being what it is, talking about it.

It gets annoying is right.
I don't agree with you at all. That being said, I respect your post snd and explanation.

Its the one line "cant afford it" posts that are really annoying and useless imo.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:04 AM   #11634
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2018/2019 Trade Speculation and Rumors

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Pretty much all of that "effort" involves us trading away our #2 defenseman so forgive me if I don't think Treliving has the same designs.

Yes, there are ways we can squeeze in a top 6F within the cap and not be reckless with our defense core, but most of them involve packaging negative value contracts like Mike Stone and James Neal with picks/prospects. And the irony of that is that we ostensibly need Mike Stone to convince Mark Stone to re-sign.

To be devils advocate, he was our “#5” defenceman last night. Kylington, Andersson, Valimaki are taking this team by storm this season. Andersson being Giordano’s partner full-time next year does not seem crazy to me.

Giordano - Andersson
Hanifin - Hamonic
Kylington - Valimaki
Stone

That’s still quite impressive depth.

(I’m not one to undervalue Brodie though, he’s a very good defenceman, and would return a 1st and a 2nd at the draft - so if Stone can be acquired without moving one of those three defencemen, I think this is a path that improves the team)

Last edited by ComixZone; 02-23-2019 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:05 AM   #11635
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post

You do realize that not everyone thinks Brodie is a top pairing dman like you do... because he is not but his value is high playing with Giordano so trade him.
The Following User Says Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2019, 09:07 AM   #11636
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Worth noting the team is reportedly looking for depth LHD. Doesn't make much sense to trade Brodie away, regardless which pair he is on, when he possesses the traits they are after.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:10 AM   #11637
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
I don't agree with you at all. That being said, I respect your post snd and explanation.

Its the one line "cant afford it" posts that are really annoying and useless imo.

Don't agree at all with........reality?
Old 02-23-2019, 09:11 AM   #11638
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post

They can afford Tkachuk. I'm not sure if they can max his term, and for sure it will be a thinner team depth wise.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:11 AM   #11639
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Moving Brodie makes the Flame top priority finding a top-4 d-man that puts up 28 non-pp points and works really well with Gio. Remember Gio's last year where he was Partnered with Hamilton??

The veteran back up for 1M ??? Elliot coming off an epic playoff fail goes for 2.75.

Is the plan to go with Smith for 1M? Because that is what you get for 1M.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:12 AM   #11640
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
To be devils advocate, he was our “#5” defenceman last night. Kylington, Andersson, Valimaki are taking this team by storm this season. Andersson being Giordano’s partner full-time next year does not seem crazy to me.

Giordano - Andersson
Hanifin - Hamonic
Kylington - Valimaki
Stone

That’s still quite impressive depth.
The Ducks are 31st in goals scored - and were without Getzlaf
The Coyotes, 28th.
and that "#5 defenseman" put up more points than Giordano and Andersson combined. Offense matters too.

Who do you truly believe Treliving wants on our top pair against top teams like Tampa, Pittsburgh or Winnipeg? Or over the course of an 82 game season during what looks clearly like two of the best years of our cup window?

That lineup you posted might look great after Brodie is a UFA and those players have actually established themselves with a ton more experience. Otherwise it's pretty obvious we'll be desperately bleeding assets looking for a rental top pair defenseman in Feb 2020 to replace what Brodie brought us. We'll probably end up trading multiple 1st for... TJ Brodie.

Not only that, but you posted a lineup in which Valimaki is playing his off-side, which Peters doesn't like as he's from the Babcock school of strongly preferring lefty-righty pairings.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 02-23-2019 at 09:17 AM.
Closed Thread