Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Was the suspension length
Too leniant 6 1.15%
Just right 133 25.43%
Too severe 384 73.42%
Voters: 523. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 12:50 PM   #241
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

20 games seems about right. There's no room for that kind of BS in the game.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 12:50 PM   #242
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
So the next time Taylor Hall crashes into the boards and comes up dazed, then gets up and cross-checks Monahan in the head, you'll be like, dude was dazed - what are you gonna do?
You need to work on reading comprehension.

10 games = accidentally hit a ref
20 games = purposefully hit a ref

When you hit a player, the only thing that seems to matter regarding suspensions is whether or not the player was injured on the play. Doesn't matter if it was accidental or on purpose.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:51 PM   #243
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Like I've said, EVERY PIECE of evidence, other then the video, suggests that the whole thing was completely accidental. Wideman's reaction to the whole thing is most key. Wideman would have acted differently had the true story been anything other than he explained it immediately after the game last Wednesday.
In my view, this incident was actually two incidents.

The first is their coming together. Wideman was clearly dazed/concussed. He slowly makes his way to the bench and does not alter trajectory in any way. That indicates to me that he was likely being truthful in saying he wasn't paying attention and didn't see Henderson until too late. That part of the thing could easily be called incidental/accidental, and that is probably what people are basing their defence of Wideman on.

But for me, the second half is the crosscheck/shove. We can't guess to Wideman's thinking - whether it was reactionary, or whether in a fit of confusion or frustration or anger that he decided to just shove whatever this body that suddenly appeared in his path out of his way, but he did it. It was a linesman. The linesman was injured by the hit.

I figured 10 games would have been a good number, but if Campbell viewed that push as a deliberate action against the linesman, then 20 is the appropriate punishment. Disappointing, but it is what it is.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 12:52 PM   #244
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
The only thing that is obvious is you don't know exactly how other people would react. Pretending that you do know and can guarantee it is hilariously ridiculous.
I can't guarantee what others think, you are absolutely right. I can believe that the fact that Dennis Wideman is a Calgary Flame is effecting peoples judgement on a Calgary Flames message board though. Let's look at HF, a board that I don't agree with everything people say there but it is a board with fans of every team in hockey. Here is a thread on the Wideman suspension.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=2023331

And because there is a poll here in this thread here is one there.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=2023363

Let's see how the differing of opinion turns out between the two boards, I bet it is vastly different.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:52 PM   #245
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Moral of the story is don't crosscheck an official. Period. You would think most NHL players knew that.

IMO you can't compare to Bertuzzi. Abuse of an official is a different scenario.

Bertuzzi should have been jailed.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:53 PM   #246
ScorchyScorch
Scoring Winger

Exp:

10 would've sent enough of a message in today's NHL.

Wideman wasn't earning his contract so I'm fine with him not playing but potentially handcuffing the Flames in a trade scenario is a dick move by the league.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:54 PM   #247
locsofblu
First Line Centre

Exp:

A little harsh but it was obviously no accident. I imagine an appeal coming up.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:55 PM   #248
burnitdown
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon In Flames View Post
You need to work on reading comprehension.

10 games = accidentally hit a ref
20 games = purposefully hit a ref

When you hit a player, the only thing that seems to matter regarding suspensions is whether or not the player was injured on the play. Doesn't matter if it was accidental or on purpose.
If my reading comprehension skills are passable, I believe the comment is more directed at those who thought Wideman shouldn't be suspended at all because he was out of it after being hit in the head.
The Following User Says Thank You to burnitdown For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 12:55 PM   #249
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Funny this matches the Lysack suspension when he tripped a linesman back in 1983.

the only thing that bothers me is that this is the same length of suspension that Todd Bertuzzi got for nearly killing a guy after a malicious and intentional attack after being warned by the NHL about retribution.

To me its probably the right call and punishment because it doesn't match up with the other suspensions that we've seen because its actions against a non player.
Bertuzzi would've been suspended longer but the lockout knocked out the 04/05 season. If that didn't happen, I bet the Bertuzzi suspension would've been more like 40-60 games.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:55 PM   #250
FlamesFanFromBC
First Line Centre

Exp:

It was either intentional and he deserves at least 20 games or it was accidental as Dennis stated and there should be no suspension.

I know I would be pretty pissed off if I had to forfeit almost 1/4 of my income for something you know was an accident.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:55 PM   #251
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
...Like I've said, EVERY PIECE of evidence, other then the video, suggests that the whole thing was completely accidental.
I'm very interested to hear about all this additional evidence.

Quote:
Wideman's reaction to the whole thing is most key. Wideman would have acted differently had the true story been anything other than he explained it immediately after the game last Wednesday.
Bullocks. Wideman's reaction after the game is proof of nothing other than the fact he wants us to believe this was purely an accident. Whether it was intentional or not, and his response would likely not have changed at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 02-03-2016 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:55 PM   #252
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I can't guarantee what others think, you are absolutely right. I can believe that the fact that Dennis Wideman is a Calgary Flame is effecting peoples judgement on a Calgary Flames message board though. Let's look at HF, a board that I don't agree with everything people say there but it is a board with fans of every team in hockey. Here is a thread on the Wideman suspension.

Let's see how the differing of opinion turns out between the two boards, I bet it is vastly different.

If there are Flames homers defending him because he's a Flame, I'm sure there are other fans willing to vilify him because he's a Flame as well. I also think there are even Flames fans who don't particularly like Wideman and are masking their dislike of him as an attempt to appear "fair and balanced" on this suspension.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Old 02-03-2016, 12:56 PM   #253
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

To me it seems like the NHL is expecting an appeal, and knows Wideman will get the suspension reduced. Likely in half.

So in anticipation of the appeal, they doubled the total amount of games so the final number would land where they want it to.

/wheelofjustice
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 12:56 PM   #254
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

HF is notoriously pro-oiler anti Calgary

hockey fans are biased on both sides

Button and Sutter thought a small suspension
Bobby Mack said 10 games

Hard to argue this is on the harsh side
Old 02-03-2016, 12:56 PM   #255
Goodlad
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'll be honest, after watching the video my initially reaction was that it looked really bad. It looked very much intentional, whether he was dazed or not.

The only thing that made me think it wasn't intentional is it's hard to fathom that a player would intentionally skate over to a linesman and lay him out from behind with a cross-check, especially a player with no history of crossing the line in even a remotely similar manner.

Like others said though, if this was a player on another team that I was only vaguely familiar with it would be hard to watch that video and come to the conclusion it was entirely accidental
Old 02-03-2016, 12:57 PM   #256
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It is amazing how this statement comes purely because this is a Calgary Flame hockey player. I guarantee if Wideman had been a Canuck instead of a Flame, most of the posts like the one I quoted would be commending the NHL on a job well done. You can say different but it is rather obvious.
Quote:

And yet here we are.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 12:57 PM   #257
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

The other thing I worry about, especially if the Flames and/or Wideman do appeal, is other officials now focusing on the Flames as a whole. No doubt some officials will be wildly upset about this event and any benefit of the doubt Flames players would have received is out the window.

Some of the officials have already shown themselves to be fairly inconsistent and incompetent, and ex-officials have admitted many officials are "out to get" certain players. For the next bit I expect some pretty questionable calls to go against the Flames (or non-calls in the other team's sake), and the Flames can't really have any complaints about it given the optics. Just have to accept it and try and play their game.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
Old 02-03-2016, 12:58 PM   #258
locsofblu
First Line Centre

Exp:

On the plus... thank christ Wideman's off the pp.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:58 PM   #259
Grimbl420
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnitdown View Post
If I do that then commit a bunch of crimes on my way back to my computer, will I get immunity?
My point was to emphasize that he was obviously not clear headed, and very likely and understandably not paying attention to where he was just like he's claiming.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:58 PM   #260
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

I thought 10 or so would have been fine. Would have sent a strong message as well, and I just figured it would be so tough to tell his intent.

Oh well, hope we get to see lots of Nakladal soon!
Closed Thread