Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 06:44 PM   #13601
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Problem with this is that it doesn't really solve the Leafs' cap issues... they need to pick one of Kapanen or Johnsson to sign with roughly $4 million to spare and adding Brodie at $4 million takes away that cap space, takes away Kapanen, AND the ability to sign Johnsson.

Brodie for Kadri is far more likely IMO.
Brodie for Kadri makes no sense from a Leafs perspective.

You're not going to get a strong 3C, likely a 2C on the Flames, who is under control for a guy with one year left and should be on your second, or third, pairing. You can bet TJ wouldn't be playing RHS under Babcock.

Further, if Kadri is out there, the Leafs are going to get a better offer than TJ Brodie.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:55 PM   #13602
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

After his meltdown in the playoffs, Kadri is carrying plenty of baggage.
Leafs may not want to deal him for Brodie but the value would be pretty equal IMO.
The Following User Says Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2019, 07:00 PM   #13603
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Exactly. Kadri has lost a ton of value. The Flames might have to add a small amount but it wouldn't be far off.

Old 05-02-2019, 07:02 PM   #13604
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Exactly. Kadri has lost a ton of value. The Flames might have to add a small amount but it wouldn't be far off.
I'd be surprised if he lost much value. Intense players are sought after for playoff hockey, even crazy ones like Kadri.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:05 PM   #13605
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Brodie had a strong playoffs? He must have if the Leafs are trading for one year of him and then have both him and Muzzin going UFA the same year.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:47 PM   #13606
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I'd be surprised if he lost much value. Intense players are sought after for playoff hockey, even crazy ones like Kadri.
Exactly.

Think Tom Wilson has lost any of his value? GM's covet guys who you almost have to rein in. The Flames could use a few guys like that because evidently they have more than a few, Brodie included, who could use a swift kick in the a$$. An NHL player shouldn't have to be told.

Kadri is a 30 goal 50-60 point C in his prime on a good contract with term who plays with more than an edge. He would be in high demand. Brodie is a competent top 4 on an ok NHL blue line who is prone to costly give aways and lost reads. He can be anywhere from good to unplayable. Over the past two three years he's been bad a lot more than he's been good.

The Flames might be able to get Kadri and have Brodie included in the deal, but if I'm Dubas, I'm asking for more like a high pick, or a young cost controlled player. Maybe the Leafs like Jankowski....

Last edited by TOfan; 05-02-2019 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:51 PM   #13607
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

I love seeing Toronto fans evaluating the value of their own players, and comparing to players from other teams.

As a rule, the other team adds. Haha
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2019, 08:01 PM   #13608
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
I love seeing Toronto fans evaluating the value of their own players, and comparing to players from other teams.

Flames fan. Posting here since 2004.
The Following User Says Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2019, 08:02 PM   #13609
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:

I don’t see how this is different than what we do.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2019, 08:10 PM   #13610
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Flames fan. Posting here since 2004.
Huh. Ok. Slotting Brodie on Toronto’s second, maybe third pairing?

You will forgive me for looking at your name and not recognizing you as a Flames fan in this context.
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2019, 08:24 PM   #13611
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Huh. Ok. Slotting Brodie on Toronto’s second, maybe third pairing?

You will forgive me for looking at your name and not recognizing you as a Flames fan in this context.
I'll say it again. On a good NHL blue line, Brodie's a second or third pairing guy. Toronto's blue line, at best, is average.

I'll also reiterate that if Kadri is on the market the Flames will have to outbid teams, and TJ Brodie is not getting that deal done on his own.

Yes. The handle is misleading but it seemed like a good idea in 2004 when I was living in Toronto.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:26 PM   #13612
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Exactly.

Think Tom Wilson has lost any of his value? GM's covet guys who you almost have to rein in. The Flames could use a few guys like that because evidently they have more than a few, Brodie included, who could use a swift kick in the a$$. An NHL player shouldn't have to be told.

Kadri is a 30 goal 50-60 point C in his prime on a good contract with term who plays with more than an edge. He would be in high demand. Brodie is a competent top 4 on an ok NHL blue line who is prone to costly give aways and lost reads. He can be anywhere from good to unplayable. Over the past two three years he's been bad a lot more than he's been good.

The Flames might be able to get Kadri and have Brodie included in the deal, but if I'm Dubas, I'm asking for more like a high pick, or a young cost controlled player. Maybe the Leafs like Jankowski....
He is a guy who scored 30 goals a couple times, that is different from a 30 goal guy. How many did he pot this year? That being said I would gladly give Brodie and Jankowski for Khadri.

Last edited by Aarongavey; 05-02-2019 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:38 PM   #13613
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
I'll say it again. On a good NHL blue line, Brodie's a second or third pairing guy. Toronto's blue line, at best, is average.

I'll also reiterate that if Kadri is on the market the Flames will have to outbid teams, and TJ Brodie is not getting that deal done on his own.

Yes. The handle is misleading but it seemed like a good idea in 2004 when I was living in Toronto.

Ok, then. Third pairing. On a good blue line.

You know what the Flames have?

Well, whatever. Never mind.

Too bad the Flames don’t have Brouwer or Stajan any more to sweeten the deal. Maybe throw in negotiating rights for Hathaway prior to July 1.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:48 PM   #13614
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
He is a guy who scored 30 goals a couple times, that is different from a 30 goal guy. How many did he pot this year? That being said I would gladly give Brodie and Jankowski for Khadri.
How many times does he need to do it? 4? 5? Taveres signing changed things. I know, weird huh?

Regardless, I don't think the Leafs are going to trade Kadri. The value of his contract is too valuable to them, specifically. The Leafs need guys who can outplay their he value of their contract. Kadri can do that.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:48 PM   #13615
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:

Too bad the Flames don’t have Brouwer or Stajan any more to sweeten the deal. Maybe throw in negotiating rights for Hathaway prior to July 1.
Brodie is a natural LW but plays RW right?

Babcock already has Rielly, Muzzin, Dermott as LD and he doesn't like playing players on their off-sides so even if you think Kadri for Brodie is a fair trade it is still never going to happen.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:55 PM   #13616
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Anderson's well on his way to taking Brodie's spot. I'll be surprised, real surprised, if Brodie is a Flame come training camp.

I would trade Brodie for a couple picks (2nd & 3rd). Take the picks & cap space and move on.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:21 PM   #13617
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Flames blew it in the playoffs.

Before that they were a 50 win team. They aren't trading their 24 yo 30 goal 70 point C for a high draft pick. They arent rebuilding. If they feel they need to move on from Mony it'll be some sort of hockey trade.
Depends how high... if you can get an Elias Pettersson or Sasha Barkov out of the draft, it's well worth the patience of a development year.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 05-02-2019, 10:57 PM   #13618
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Flames want to shake up the forward core maybe they can work on a deal centered around Monahan and Zibenejad?

Monahan for Zibenejad.....who adds?
Old 05-02-2019, 11:20 PM   #13619
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Lol Brodie would never get Kadri.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:22 PM   #13620
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
If the Flames want to shake up the forward core maybe they can work on a deal centered around Monahan and Zibenejad?

Monahan for Zibenejad.....who adds?
Probably NYR adds either the Jets pick or Dallas pick if they make the third round. I was thinking Sam Reinhart and Buffalos 7th pick.
Closed Thread