Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-04-2018, 03:00 PM   #421
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The drop pass is almost cliche at this point. Teams use it because its effective.

Last night the Flames were aweful at it. Their timing was way off and when they did gain the zone the puck retrieval was atrocious.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
sa226 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 03:00 PM   #422
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
This team's core and leadership group, that has been around 5 or so years, seems to have what you could compare to something like the putting or chipping yips in particular situations on the ice. Beginning of seasons, beginning of games, key games, powerplay, Anaheim - there seems to be a mental barrier that emanates from the core group to the team as a whole. The patterns are so seemingly consistent that it's hard to ignore despite different coaching staffs, turnover in the non-core players. That core group of Gio, Brodie, Monahan, Backlund, Gaudreau have been the common denominators and leadership group of the team. They are all really good players, but are they in the right frame of mind for those situations, and are they helpful leaders in getting the team as a whole in the right frame of mind.

I'm trying to explain these trends in my mind, and this is the only thing that's making sense.
Well 1 game into a season isn’t a big enough sample size to find any trends. Reading way too much into 1 game.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 03:04 PM   #423
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This is far from an excuse. The Flames need to get their heads out of their asses and play to their potential.

But the Canucks played last night like a young team with nothing to lose all jazzed up in their home opener. They skated and forechecked far more aggressively than you can expect for the entire season. I don't think it was a huge coincidence that they took 7 penalties.

The Flames did not. They were timid and unsure and skating in sand.

Even still. With 7 pps. They should have won. Despite being outplayed. They should have won.

PP the goat.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
sa226 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 03:06 PM   #424
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
I didn't watch last night as we had an birthday dinner with family. How did Gio and Brodie look?
They looked good overall. A lot of us are questioning Brodie over Hanifin/Valimaki on the PP though
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2018, 03:08 PM   #425
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I don't even mind the drop pass, it makes sense because you want to gain the blueline with speed and push the defense back. It makes sense a lot of teams do it and its effective.

The Flames though showed this stupid determination or a lack of recognition of what the Canucks were doing which is basically standing up on their side of center ice, the Flames would try to force a bad situation. What they should have been doing was shooting the puck in more and using their speed to get in on the puck. They refused to do that.

As far as one loss, no matter how the loss happens, I can't say I really care until a pattern develops, and a pattern can't be interpreted after game one.

Call me at game 5 and ask me if I'm worried.
Name one time when the drop pass entry didn't achieve its purpose - namely, entry with control. The problems always arose after the successful entry.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2018, 03:08 PM   #426
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
I didn't watch last night as we had an birthday dinner with family. How did Gio and Brodie look?
I thought they looked good together. Brodie especially looked confident. Gio was dangerous every time he was on the ice. They both played good games I thought.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2018, 03:51 PM   #427
Plett Me Tell You
Draft Pick

Would like to at least get a look at this line up before the season is too deep:

Gaudreau Monahan Neal
Tkachuk Lindholm Czarnik
Bennett Backlund Frolik
Dube Jankowski Ryan
Plett Me Tell You is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Plett Me Tell You For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2018, 03:59 PM   #428
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plett Me Tell You View Post
Would like to at least get a look at this line up before the season is too deep:

Gaudreau Monahan Neal
Tkachuk Lindholm Czarnik
Bennett Backlund Frolik
Dube Jankowski Ryan
I like that
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 04:02 PM   #429
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I don't even mind the drop pass, it makes sense because you want to gain the blueline with speed and push the defense back. It makes sense a lot of teams do it and its effective.

The Flames though showed this stupid determination or a lack of recognition of what the Canucks were doing which is basically standing up on their side of center ice, the Flames would try to force a bad situation. What they should have been doing was shooting the puck in more and using their speed to get in on the puck. They refused to do that.
This is one thing I think the group of players struggles with is making changes on the fly and thinking spontaneously.

The Canucks had 4 players lined up at the blue line. Then the Flames would rush 4 guys up and do the drop...now you have 8 guys standing at the blueline and Gaudreau or Lindholm trying to maneuver through those 8 bodies to enter the zone.

The right play there would have been to fake the bump back after it didn't work the first couple times and then dump it behind the Canucks. Flames would have had 3-4 guys attacking with speed to retrieve the puck, while the Canucks were flat footed at the blue line.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2018, 04:50 PM   #430
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plett Me Tell You View Post

Gaudreau Monahan Neal
Tkachuk Lindholm Czarnik
Bennett Backlund Frolik
Dube Jankowski Ryan
Agreed. We spread out the top players against the oil a year ago also and it was virtually the same result.

At some point you have to put your top 6 (offensively skilled) players in the top 6 positions.

We will still be way better off than last season when we had one threatening line every night. We usually just needed that second scoring punch and we have the pieces now. I really think we should've been using the preseason building chemistry between those top two lines. Slot Neal where he signed to play and maybe that will get him playing the way he can.

Also Bennett played his best hockey with backlund and that move has made too much sense for too long. Him and Jankowski have shown no indication that they're a pairing to build around so I don't know why it persists to be a thing.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 04:59 PM   #431
ThisIsAnOutrage
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I didn't know the 2017-2018 regular season had 83 games in it.
ThisIsAnOutrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:08 PM   #432
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
This is one thing I think the group of players struggles with is making changes on the fly and thinking spontaneously.

The Canucks had 4 players lined up at the blue line. Then the Flames would rush 4 guys up and do the drop...now you have 8 guys standing at the blueline and Gaudreau or Lindholm trying to maneuver through those 8 bodies to enter the zone.

The right play there would have been to fake the bump back after it didn't work the first couple times and then dump it behind the Canucks. Flames would have had 3-4 guys attacking with speed to retrieve the puck, while the Canucks were flat footed at the blue line.
Looking back at it, they really didn’t use the drop pass much on their entries and didn’t have a lot of trouble.

Very early in the game Gio dropped to Johnny in their own zone and they gained the zone but promptly lost it.

Hopefully we see improvement the next few games

Last edited by DeluxeMoustache; 10-04-2018 at 07:21 PM.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:26 PM   #433
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
I think we know the answer for the next game.

Hathaway in?

Flames win.

(sit Frolik)
In comes Prout, win no doubt?
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:32 PM   #434
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogged View Post
In comes Prout, win no doubt?

In comes Prout, Flames shut out.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:51 PM   #435
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash walken View Post
gaudreau looks out of shape
100%
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:25 PM   #436
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember Bennett vouching for Gaudreau having the worst eating habits of the entire team.

Why doesn't anyone crack down hard on it?
Old 10-04-2018, 07:37 PM   #437
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
I remember Bennett vouching for Gaudreau having the worst eating habits of the entire team.

Why doesn't anyone crack down hard on it?
Totally agree
Really comes down to how committed he really is
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2018, 07:43 PM   #438
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Icon45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Totally agree
Really comes down to how committed he really is
Imo, speaks to a sense of entitlement, which Burke sort if eluded to in regards to contract negotiations.

Doesn't have to do what the rest of the pros have to. As a result he may have plateaued a bit in what he can do offensively.

Probably a rough summer with his dad's health problems, but I think he has looked sluggish all preseason and was one of the worst skaters on the ice last night.

Highest paid forward on the roster, expectations should be high.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:44 PM   #439
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I missed that what did Burke say?
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:49 PM   #440
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote: