Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2021, 12:24 PM   #2641
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, like the message or not, Tkachuk's response was to give 50% effort and shoot 90% of the time between his f'in legs last season.
That is not an acceptable response...
Old 08-05-2021, 12:24 PM   #2642
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Except “pick your spots better” is supposedly exactly what they said, not “don’t do it at all”.

Tkachuk’s so called “edge” wasn’t accomplishing squat. All he did was let other players, including Kassian, get in his head.
So if this stuff is true, the kid who showed leadership and stuck up for his teammates getting heat (Johnny & Monahan) in the media after the playoff series against the Stars -- then gets thrown under the bus by his team after daring to care and play emotionally the following season. I don't blame him for being a little bit disgruntled. Yeah, he showed a little immaturity maybe...but he's pretty young. It's up to the leadership and management to have handled it the right way and make sure he didn't feel singled out.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
The Following User Says Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2021, 12:24 PM   #2643
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if Tkachuk would be willing to play in Canada if he could play with his brother? Maybe ship him to Ottawa.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:25 PM   #2644
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah his response is exactly how a Millennial with rich parents would react. I guess this lines up with the giant spaz he had on the bench after the puck flip. Would Marchand or Perry have reacted like that? All it did was show everyone how easy it is to get in his head.

If you want to be a pest in the NHL you have to take your lumps along the way and know when to choose your time.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:26 PM   #2645
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

All for one and ...
Old 08-05-2021, 12:26 PM   #2646
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Really didn't want to believe this Tkachuk rumour.

But it's just confirming to me, once again, the need for a rebuild

This team doesn't have what it takes to win. It actively dissuades showing emotion but then literally every player fails to show up for big games.

You can't tinker with this. Overpaying some UFAs and losing Gio isn't going to make things better.
Wouldn't Gio have been one of the ones telling him to tone it down?
Old 08-05-2021, 12:27 PM   #2647
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
Yeah his response is exactly how a Millennial with rich parents would react. I guess this lines up with the giant spaz he had on the bench after the puck flip. Would Marchand or Perry have reacted like that? All it did was show everyone how easy it is to get in his head.

If you want to be a pest in the NHL you have to take your lumps along the way and know when to choose your time.
Tkachuk isn't a millennial
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wood For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2021, 12:29 PM   #2648
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post
Tkachuk isn't a millennial
Off by a year. Great conversation. Really added a lot to the forum.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:30 PM   #2649
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I wonder if Tkachuk would be willing to play in Canada if he could play with his brother? Maybe ship him to Ottawa.
The funny thing about Brady is that he actually seems to want to be in Ottawa. Completely different personalities it seems.

I say offersheet his brother and maybe it compels MT to re-sign. Only half serious.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:31 PM   #2650
mdubz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
The funny thing about Brady is that he actually seems to want to be in Ottawa. Completely different personalities it seems.

I say offersheet his brother and maybe it compels MT to re-sign. Only half serious.
Ottawa has tons of cap space. They will match anything.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:33 PM   #2651
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Extremely concerning, as it speaks to the level of engagement of the players within the locker room. However, this is very unsurprising.

Team sports is all about trust, and Tkachuk trusting his teammates, in a team meeting he reached out to his players and said back me up, and they turned their back on him.
We don't know that anything like this happened. Alternatively, in a team meeting the leadership group told Tkachuk that he needs to do a better job of picking his spots, and the team cannot be mud-slinging every night in a long season.

Quote:
I think Tkachuk knows what it takes to win, and now he sees this team as quite frankly a bunch of disinterested losers.
I have yet to see any credible evidence to suggest that Tkachuk "knows what it takes to win." On the contrary, he has made a couple of big statements in games, but then when the time has come for him to back them up with his play on the ice he has failed at least as many times as he has succeeded. I have been unimpressed by him in the playoffs, which is where it counts the most.

Quote:
Why would he play hard and get in the grill of the opposition if his teammates are not going to be there to support him whenever? Tkachuk wasn't buying into the indifferent complacency that has seeped into the core of the locker room, and has been doing everything in his power to drag his team into a fight, and time after time the team let him down.
So, do you honestly believe that established big-game warrior and Stanley Cup champion Milan Lucic was part of this "indifferent complacency" in the Flames locker-room? I seriously doubt it. His presence the past two years and his comments at the end of the season lead me to believe that this clever narrative you have crafted around the Legend of Matthew Tkachuk is pretty far from factual.

Quote:
Boston supports Marchand through all of his complete insanity, Ducks supported Perry, Canucks teammates adored Burrows and Kesler. The milquetoast flames core couldn't be bothered to support the one player who was actually exciting to watch. Culture is incredibly hard to change, and Tkachuk is finding this out first hand, I don't blame him for wanting to leave and whatever team gets him will be absolutely thrilled with having him on their team.
Well, if Tkachuk is indeed so mentally fragile as to come unglued because of a single, inconsequential incident in a fairly meaningless game at the beginning of the season, then I am not so sure I am all that keen on him staying with the Flames.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2021, 12:36 PM   #2652
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbull8 View Post
I have heard it from a source close to management (if you don't want to believe me, all good) that the 3 teams still seriously in on Eichel are Anaheim, Vegas, and Calgary.

As well, there is a serious rift between Tkachuk and the team. He has not been training with any of the flames this summer, and has made it very clear he wants to go to the states (ideally St. Louis).

Last year after the Muzzin incident, closed door meeting for the players, but then Tkachuk met with management and was told "we will help you fight your battles, but we're not going to fight all of them every night".

From that point on, he was described as acting "pouty" for the rest of the season (which seems obvious now given how he was playing).

The Flames are looking to move him as part of the Eichel package, since there is almost 0% chance he re-signs here next summer, but Buffalo is not that interested in him. Likely because they know he isn't signing there either.
This seems to be the hold up on the Eichel deal. If a 3rd team got involved, Tkachuk would likely end up there with more futures going to Buffalo.
Eichel & Tarasenko to Calgary

Tkachuk to St Louis

Prospects, picks and a roster player to Buffalo

Feels like it could be a thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2021, 12:37 PM   #2653
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

The resounding belief in another thread recently is that Tkachuk played great at the top line RW position, but in here I'm hearing he sandbagged it for 4 months. Weird.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:38 PM   #2654
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

The problem with Tkachuk and his #### disturber act is he doesn't pick his spots. That is what makes Brad Marchand so effective. He's a highly skilled player but knows for the most part when the risk a cheapshot is acceptable. Marchand can play a structured and disciplined game. Tkachuk just gets off on the chaos he can create and doesn't know when to pick his spots. That get's tiresome for a lot of players, especially when you're answering the bell for the guy's actions.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:38 PM   #2655
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Eichel & Tarasenko to Calgary

Tkachuk to St Louis

Prospects, picks and a roster player to Buffalo

Feels like it could be a thing.
Tkachuk for Tarasenko straight up is so gross
Old 08-05-2021, 12:38 PM   #2656
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
The resounding belief in another thread recently is that Tkachuk played great at the top line RW position, but in here I'm hearing he sandbagged it for 4 months. Weird.
Let's look at the timeline I guess. Maybe 4 months was too much. When was the puck flip and when did he he join Gaudreau & Lindholm?
Old 08-05-2021, 12:40 PM   #2657
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tkachuk is not a 9M player...I would be happy to get out of that contract. Guy is in his early 20s and can barely skate. He certainly has good hands and pisses people off but I don't see him hitting 90 points.

Flames being forced into trading him wouldn't be the worst thing IMO
Old 08-05-2021, 12:40 PM   #2658
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
The funny thing about Brady is that he actually seems to want to be in Ottawa. Completely different personalities it seems...
To my eye Brady Tkachuk's public demeanour and embrace of his current team is no different at all from what we saw from Matthew Tkachuk through his first three years in Calgary. This is the problem with attempting to gauge a player's feelings or long-term hopes and plans from television spots and game action. We actually have no idea about what Brady Tkachuk actually wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2021, 12:40 PM   #2659
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
Tkachuk for Tarasenko straight up is so gross
Well, I assume this trade would involve St. Louis giving consideration to Calgary in the form of providing most/all of the picks and prospects to Buffalo so that Calgary can keep its picks and prospects.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nelson For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2021, 12:42 PM   #2660
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
The problem with Tkachuk and his #### disturber act is he doesn't pick his spots. That is what makes Brad Marchand so effective. He's a highly skilled player but knows for the most part when the risk a cheapshot is acceptable. Marchand can play a structured and disciplined game. Tkachuk just gets off on the chaos he can create and doesn't know when to pick his spots. That get's tiresome for a lot of players, especially when you're answering the bell for the guy's actions.
I'd say the main difference is that Marchand is just a better player and a difference maker. If Tkachuk was as good as him people would put up with more of this stuff.
Closed Thread