Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2024, 08:49 PM   #2001
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks cral! I'll do another list after the U-18's if that's ok.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 09:32 PM   #2002
Niemo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If we draft 9th, are Buium are Parekh still there? Can someone compare them for me? I see Parekh rated higher but judging from scouting reports (I’ve seen neither), Buium sounds like the better skater and more well rounded while still possessing high end offense. Any draft guru care to chime in?
Niemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 10:10 PM   #2003
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niemo View Post
If we draft 9th, are Buium are Parekh still there? Can someone compare them for me? I see Parekh rated higher but judging from scouting reports (I’ve seen neither), Buium sounds like the better skater and more well rounded while still possessing high end offense. Any draft guru care to chime in?
Buium reminds me of Hanifin. Parekh could become the best offensive D man in the NHL. His defense also isn't as bad as some make out, it's average. He is pretty good disrupting with his stick. Parekh has a higher ceiling but also a lower floor if his skills don't translate. I don't see that happening though.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2024, 10:15 PM   #2004
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here are the lottery odds:
  1. 18.50%
  2. 13.50%
  3. 11.50%
  4. 9.50%
  5. 8.50%
  6. 7.50%
  7. 6.50%
  8. 6.00% (Seattle)
  9. 5.00% (Calgary)
  10. 3.50% (New Jersey)
  11. 3.00%
    ----------
  12. 2.50%
  13. 2.00%
  14. 1.50%
  15. 0.50%
  16. 0.50%

The Devils season is done. They are currently 2 points ahead of the Flames and own the tiebreaker over the Flames. The Flames can get 2 points and stay in the 9th spot, but 3 points passes the Devils.

Seattle has two games remaining, both on the road. They play tomorrow in Winnipeg and Thursday in Minnesota. Winnipeg can clinch home ice in the first round with at least a point, so they have incentive to play hard. Minnesota could possibly hurt their draft position with a win, but that won't likely change how they play.

Calgary plays in Vancouver tomorrow and at home against San Jose on Thursday. The Canucks can clinch first in the Pacific with a point. By the time the San Jose game starts, its result will likely be meaningless.
Old 04-15-2024, 10:23 PM   #2005
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Draft Thoughts (Ralph Malph Edition):

LHD Colin Ralph is a top-pairing, minute-munching rearguard who plays in all situations. The tricky part is that he's plying his trade with Shattuck St. Mary's Prep, a lower level of competition than most draft-eligible prospects are at, making his projection more difficult. Though his future is unclear, he has some attributes that come in handy in any league. Ralph is a 6'4",227lb behemoth who racked up 56 points in just 50 games this season, good enough for 2nd overall in scoring by defensemen, 9th in ppg. He was the 59th-overall pick in the 2023 USHL Draft by the Dubuque Fighting Saints, and will play there in 2024-25.

As stated, Ralph is a big fish in a smaller pond, but he could get around well in any league, as he covers a ton of ice in a short time with his mobility and aggression. For a player his size, he skates quite well, and has good agility. His brain is quite large too, as he possesses an above-average IQ, with finely-tuned puck skills- he can handle gracefully in small areas. He has quick hands, with a long reach that helps him protect the puck, or strip the puck from opponents all over the ice. At the current level he's at, he can quarterback the offense from the blueline with smarts, and does so using his solid distribution game. Though his shot could use more zip, he will rip low shots on net in order to facilitate rebound and tip opportunities for his teammates near the crease. His passes are usually crisp and accurate, and that includes his breakouts, which he can calmly complete under pressure from attackers. With his mobility and a well-timed stick, he exerts tight gap control, angling oncoming attackers to the boards where he then finishes them with a hit. With his enormous wingspan and quickness, he takes up a massive amount of real estate, cutting off huge swaths of ice.

As one would hope for a player of his size, he plays a physical brand of hockey- he's hard-nosed, but disciplined, with only 24 penalty-minutes to his name this season. He uses his size well to impose his will and bully his way around the ice, getting under the skin of opponents with how difficult he is to play against, and there's a distinct intimidation factor. He wins confrontations along the wall, boxes players out of the crease, and usually comes out of corner battles with the puck. Ralph has defensive acumen, and has learned good habits when defending. He closes on puck-carriers quickly, shuts down the cycle, and anticipates the play well enough to kill rushes before they ever reach the blueline. He aids in kicking off the transition with a good first-pass, after completing a clean retrieval. He gets big minutes at Shattuck, in all situations, and can play both sides of special teams with effectiveness. Ralph was ranked 61st in the latest rankings from Elite Prospects, so he's being noticed- although I would put him in the 4th, or 5th round. His ceiling is up to him and the hockey gods, but I can see a player like him being a good bottom-3 defender in the NHL. He is committed to St.Cloud State in 2025-26.

Last edited by Sandman; 04-15-2024 at 10:53 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2024, 10:41 PM   #2006
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Buium is underrated and should be a top 5 pick.

He's done things that a draft eligible dman has never really done in the NCAA. His draft year is probably more impressive than guys like Fox and Makar had in their Hobey Baker finalist seasons.

Oh and he anchored his team to a national championship, so not like he was gifted a role on a bad team.

And was also great for the US under-20 team as they won a gold medal at the world juniors. A tough tournament for draft eligible dmen to impress at generally.

If he is there for the Flames I think I'd be a bit dissapointed if they don't take him depending on who else is available
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2024, 10:45 PM   #2007
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niemo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Buium reminds me of Hanifin. Parekh could become the best offensive D man in the NHL. His defense also isn't as bad as some make out, it's average. He is pretty good disrupting with his stick. Parekh has a higher ceiling but also a lower floor if his skills don't translate. I don't see that happening though.
Dissentowner is right- if Parekh can fullfill his potential, we're talking about a player who will one day lead the league in scoring by D. If you look at some draft year numbers:

Makar had 1.39 ppg in the AJHL.
Parekh has 1.45 ppg in the OHL.
Buium has 1.19 ppg in the NCAA.

The OHL is a higher level of hockey than the AJHL.

If the Flames were to pick Parekh, I would be happy because I trust the scouts. I just have reservations about how his overall game will translate, and the way he tries to do too much by himself. I also have questions about his attitude.

Buium could also be among the league leaders in points one day by D, don't discount how good he's been against men in his draft year.

Last edited by Sandman; 04-15-2024 at 10:53 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2024, 12:46 AM   #2008
Ziggy Lidstrom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Colin Ralph with one of our seconds or a third seems like a smart investment. The size and skill set sound like top four defender to me.

1st pick : helenius, catton, demidov, lindstrom , Dickinson, silyaev, tij , yak.

Van pick: sennecke, green tree, Lucas petterson ,boisvert, jiricek, chernyshov.

2nd rounder: AJ Spellacy, parascak, Howe, miettenin, marellie

3rd: AJ spellacy, and Colin Ralph.

Lots of talent and size in this draft. Any players in those groups to me would be big wins.

I’m super excited for this draft and the next few.

Last edited by Ziggy Lidstrom; 04-16-2024 at 12:59 AM.
Ziggy Lidstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ziggy Lidstrom For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2024, 12:54 AM   #2009
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am hoping for Gridin or Vanacker with one of our 2nds, if we end up with two 2nds.
Old 04-16-2024, 07:11 AM   #2010
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

After watching this Sandman, perhaps your stance on his “attitude” might change.
I know mine did and he’s firmly planted himself as my personal #1 d target as he could change this franchise. Not only because his numbers are insane and held records in the OHL for rookie scoring as a dman, but he doesn’t have that “U.S” factor sitting over his head like Buium.

Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2024, 08:05 AM   #2011
prizefighterinferno
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Would be absolutely thrilled with Parekh.
prizefighterinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to prizefighterinferno For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2024, 08:55 AM   #2012
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

If seems that Dickinson and Levshunov fit the mould of your traditional number 1 D with their size and abilities to do all things. Buium looks to have really taken his game to a new level to finish the season at University of Denver. Parekh is pretty unique with the numbers he's put up, and as a defenceman leading a good team in scoring. So I do wonder how that throws scouts off.

This all said, I thought Juolevi looked good in his draft year and he turned out to be a giant pile of dung. I totally AL Davis'd and liked Zach Bogosians measurable more than the pudgy kid Doughty and seemingly bland Pietrangelo... So I'd like anybody the top 4 defenceman...but that probably will end up as a disaster given my ability to assess 17 and 18 year old boys.
Old 04-16-2024, 09:28 AM   #2013
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I want the Flames to pick Jackie Chan.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 09:32 AM   #2014
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
I want the Flames to pick Jackie Chan.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2024, 10:06 AM   #2015
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Thanks cral! I'll do another list after the U-18's if that's ok.
Awesome - for sure, man!

*I also loved the tiers that you did last year if you wanna have a go at that.

**I'm also more than willing to post your rankings on Upside Hockey as an addtional ranking that complements E-Mac's mega spreadsheet version.
(But no pressure on this either!)
Old 04-16-2024, 10:17 AM   #2016
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

When is the draft lottery?
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 10:18 AM   #2017
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
When is the draft lottery?
May 6th
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2024, 10:36 AM   #2018
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Central Scouting released their final list this morning:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1780251548884340889

https://twitter.com/user/status/1780250174859645006

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2024, 10:39 AM   #2019
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Iginla 9th for NA Skaters
Old 04-16-2024, 10:39 AM   #2020
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

So dumb that they can't create a single list like everyone else does.
Their list is useless for that reason.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft