Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2024, 04:38 PM   #541
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I saw The Chemical Brothers about 25 years ago at Max Bell.

surferguy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2024, 04:53 PM   #542
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
There’s no way they only had 5k in Calgary. Sales for the rest of the tour are pretty weak tho. They didn’t even open the 2nd bowl for Edmonton.
I think it was somewhere in the 5400's.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 05:05 PM   #543
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Corral was a terrible venue for concerts from an acoustics perspective, but with it gone Calgary just doesn't have that mid-level venue for 5-7,000 people. So you see more and more shows playing at the Dome that would be way better served in a venue like the Corral was. No offense to Lamb of God and Mastodon, but in both of their primes I saw them playing shows at Mac Hall and those weren't even sold out. Now they are playing the Dome? Probably gonna have terrible attendance, but that show is also too big for Mac Hall or the Grey Eagle, so it's kind of a no-win situation for bands.
I think a lot of Calgary venues are smaller than people think, especially with concert set ups. Julio (I think) is really good with exact figures as he's in the industry.

For example I always thought the Corral was 5-7k, too, but while it's 7700 for hockey, it was only like 3700 or something once you got the concert set up. I also thought Grey Eagle was 4k or so, but it's apparently 2700. Those 5-7k shows have almost always been at the Dome and many mid size cities are the same.

Edmonton has a nice mid size in the Shaw conference centre (now edmonton conference centre) I believe it's in the 5-6k range.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 07:55 PM   #544
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Anybody else get tickets to Snoop Dog? The hotboxing of the Dome is going to be legendary.
I’m going!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2024, 09:24 PM   #545
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I’m going!
If I see you let's pound a gin and juice...my treat!
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2024, 09:41 AM   #546
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Corral was a terrible venue for concerts from an acoustics perspective, but with it gone Calgary just doesn't have that mid-level venue for 5-7,000 people. So you see more and more shows playing at the Dome that would be way better served in a venue like the Corral was. No offense to Lamb of God and Mastodon, but in both of their primes I saw them playing shows at Mac Hall and those weren't even sold out. Now they are playing the Dome? Probably gonna have terrible attendance, but that show is also too big for Mac Hall or the Grey Eagle, so it's kind of a no-win situation for bands.
The Corral is a legendary venue. Damn I miss that ratty old #### hole.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2024, 09:15 AM   #547
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
The Corral is a legendary venue. Damn I miss that ratty old #### hole.
saw Deep Purple there in the early 2000's. the only show i ever saw there.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 10:26 AM   #548
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I didn't mind the Corral at all, sound wasn't great but you could move around easily and the sightlines were good. Saw quite a few shows there.

Ghost, Pantera, Deftones, Megadeth, The Cult, Queens of the Stone Age, Slayer, Life of Agony, just off the top of my head.
Engine09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 11:29 AM   #549
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I think a lot of Calgary venues are smaller than people think, especially with concert set ups. Julio (I think) is really good with exact figures as he's in the industry.

For example I always thought the Corral was 5-7k, too, but while it's 7700 for hockey, it was only like 3700 or something once you got the concert set up. I also thought Grey Eagle was 4k or so, but it's apparently 2700. Those 5-7k shows have almost always been at the Dome and many mid size cities are the same.

Edmonton has a nice mid size in the Shaw conference centre (now edmonton conference centre) I believe it's in the 5-6k range.
Calgary is for sure missing that 4-7k venue that disappeared when the Corral got bulldozed. Max Bell is maybe 3000-3500, and I don't know if the renos they did a few years back fixed the issues that didn't let them do concerts any more.
In a perfect works, the arena @ COP would have an extra couple thousand seats, but I don't think they'd be able to expand, at least not to that degree. Also, it's not the easiest venue to get to, or to get in and out of before and after an event.
I'd love to see Stampede do something to replace the Corral, even if it wasn't a venue with an ice pad, but just as a concert venue. I'd be shocked if that happened tho, as it seems like they are happy just running the Big Four as their main concert venue.
I think that smaller shows will end up in the new arena, but they will have a better atmosphere than in the Saddledome. Almost all arenas, even old ones like SaskTel Centre in Saskatoon, have good curtain systems that both make a big venue feel much more intimate, and help with the sound.
Old 04-11-2024, 02:40 PM   #550
Mephisto
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
I saw The Chemical Brothers about 25 years ago at Max Bell.

I have great memories of concerts at Max Bell in the 90’s. A few I remember vividly as some of the best I’ve ever seen:

- Beastie Boys on the Ill Communication tour
- Soundgarden on Superunknown Tour
- Radiohead for OK Computer

lol - I feel so old!
Mephisto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mephisto For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2024, 02:47 AM   #551
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Extreme and Living Colour at the Grey Eagle, Sep 13th.

Does anyone have the pre-sale code?
Engine09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 06:42 AM   #552
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post

I always wondered how much could fit in the Grey Eagle since it's all standing room. That seems to be the busiest venue these days when it comes to concerts or at least metal concerts.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 02:05 PM   #553
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I always wondered how much could fit in the Grey Eagle since it's all standing room. That seems to be the busiest venue these days when it comes to concerts or at least metal concerts.
Grey Eagle is great for the show, but the parking lot is a nightmere.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 12:59 PM   #554
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Been forever since I've been to a concert at the dome, are the floor seats worth it? Even if they're back by the mixing booth?

Tags
calgary , concerts , western canada