Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2019, 05:54 PM   #61
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also Pittsburgh is an underrated city. It’s nice there.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2019, 06:07 PM   #62
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
Some cities I like visiting:

Charleston, SC
Omaha, NE
Denver, CO
I’ve been to Omaha a few times and it’s actually pretty cool. Depends on why you’re there I guess, but I enjoyed it. I haven’t been to Charleston, but South Carolina and the Carolina coast was amazing. I don’t know what I expected, but it was far exceeded those expectations and I would definitely go back!

One place that I would recommend and can’t recommend highly enough to fly-fishers is Craig, Montana. It’s not a city (I think there are 38 people!), but it’s really incredible.

I also really enjoyed Atlanta. It’s a great city and there’s a lot to see and do there. I ate like an absolute king there and there’s a lot of history and sights to see as well.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:13 PM   #63
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Also Pittsburgh is an underrated city. It’s nice there.
It's not bad to visit but I would rule it out as a place to live because it can get pretty cold there in the winter and for me the idea of living in the USA revolves around escaping snow and cold in the winter.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2019, 08:20 PM   #64
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

American cities I've visited:

1. NYC
2. Chicago
3. Boston
4. San Diego
5. Virginia Beach, Va
6. Minneapolis
7. Las Vegas
8. Phoenix
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:25 PM   #65
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Just spent a week in Houston. Been there for work before but stayed a few extra days for vacation to take a look around, and wow that city sucks. Outside of professional sports, that place is a dump. I stayed because from time to time it gets thrown around about me moving down there. They would have to roll a brinks truck into my driveway to get me to relocate there. Dallas is a much nicer city/area in Texas.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:30 PM   #66
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I’ve been to most major cities in the US. My top ten would be as follows (ignoring cost of living)

1) San Francisco
2) San Diego
3) Chicago
4) Nashville
5) Charlotte
6) Tampa Bay/St.Petes area
7) Atlanta
8) Seattle
9) Denver
10) Vegas
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:13 PM   #67
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Just spent a week in Houston. Been there for work before but stayed a few extra days for vacation to take a look around, and wow that city sucks. Outside of professional sports, that place is a dump. I stayed because from time to time it gets thrown around about me moving down there. They would have to roll a brinks truck into my driveway to get me to relocate there. Dallas is a much nicer city/area in Texas.
Couldn't agree more. Try going again in July when Houston is 110F and 90% humidity. Completely unbearable for a guy from Calgary.

I tend to enjoy the older cities on the eastern seaboard more. Maybe because they are just so different than anything in Alberta. Boston, in particular, is really interesting if you are a history buff. It is kind of weird to see a brand new office tower on the same block as a 400-year-old church though.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:22 PM   #68
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve traveled to many U.S. cities. This is my list to visit in order.

New York
Boston
San Francisco
San Diego
Washington
New Orleans
Honolulu
Chicago
Nashville
Miami
Palm Springs
Seattle
Vegas
Omaha
Minneapolis

Haven’t been to Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Carolina, Houston, Dallas, etc. Don’t care much for L.A.

Last edited by MoneyGuy; 04-10-2019 at 11:25 PM.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:27 PM   #69
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Minneapolis, Nashville, San Diego, Phoenix, Orlando, basically every city in Texas, Washington DC, Honolulu, Boston.
I'd say San Diego is probably the best overall.

Definitely not St. Louis, Indianapolis, Chicago, Detroit, any of the Ohio cities, Hartford. I don't live in the best part of the country...
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:53 PM   #70
Boo Radley
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
San Diego was great the first few times I went. The fourth visit it was kind of Meh.... Still probably a decent place to live though.
I get this. When people visit they do the obvious tourist attractions like the zoo, gas lamp district, beach, etc. Those are great but once you have done them they can get old.

Living here is clearly much different. The year round climate is as advertised But like any other place when you live here you have the opportunity to explore.

Max Ehrmann
Boo Radley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boo Radley For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2019, 06:15 AM   #71
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrodieFan View Post
I am really surprised more people didn't say Vegas. For someplace I don't list as a favourite, I sure go there a lot for some reason.. I would love to go to Richmond and DC, two places on my list!
DC/Richmond/Charlottesville/Blue Ridge Mountains would be a highly recommended trip. So many historical sites, great restaurants in Richmond and DC, world class craft breweries in Richmond, and great hiking, scenic wineries and breweries in the Blue Ridge Mountains.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2019, 08:11 AM   #72
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Well I am a little protective of Houston but curious what you did in Houston? It is certainly not a major tourist destination but more of a city for living in. Still there is so much to do. What was so much more appealing about Dallas?

I have lived in 6 cities in my life. Calgary, Montreal, Denver, Colorado Springs, LA and Houston. I can’t rank them but have found things to love about all of them.

Weather wise, LA had everyone beat hands down.

One of the things Houston has going for it is the ability to live in a beautiful neighborhood, urban or suburban, with lots of entertainment choices, and have a bunch of money left over to spend on other things like travel.

The summers are hot and humid. It rarely gets above 100 but the humidity is a killer. Better than winter IMO.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:04 AM   #73
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

NYC & Palm Springs
Old 04-11-2019, 10:46 AM   #74
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post

The summers are hot and humid. It rarely gets above 100 but the humidity is a killer. Better than winter IMO.
No fricking way on this point. I get that each person is different, but for me I completely disagree with this.

Give me a dry winter where temperatures are usually above -15 any day of the week over a summer where it's above 80% humidity and over 30 degrees. Plus, Houston is miserably cloudy for a good portion of the year. No thanks to that.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2019, 11:00 AM   #75
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I’ve been to Omaha a few times and it’s actually pretty cool. Depends on why you’re there I guess, but I enjoyed it. I haven’t been to Charleston, but South Carolina and the Carolina coast was amazing. I don’t know what I expected, but it was far exceeded those expectations and I would definitely go back!

One place that I would recommend and can’t recommend highly enough to fly-fishers is Craig, Montana. It’s not a city (I think there are 38 people!), but it’s really incredible.

I also really enjoyed Atlanta. It’s a great city and there’s a lot to see and do there. I ate like an absolute king there and there’s a lot of history and sights to see as well.
I got married in Charleston in Battery Park. It is really a nice city. I'm moving to Charlotte full time within the year. I really like the Carolina's. Lots to do. Great weather for the most part. Cheap cost of living.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 02:25 PM   #76
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

San Antonio is a fun city to visit if anyone has never been. Going to Nashville the first time this June.
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 03:44 PM   #77
Saint Troy
First Line Centre

Exp:

New Orleans.

Saint Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 04:09 PM   #78
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Troy View Post
New Orleans.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2019, 07:41 AM   #79
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can anyone comment on Tampa and Miami? I heard Tampa is a dump from one person. Not sure if true.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:13 AM   #80
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Can anyone comment on Tampa and Miami? I heard Tampa is a dump from one person. Not sure if true.
Tampa proper is not that exciting, but Clearwater Beach and St Pete are awesome. The beaches on the gulf side of Florida are much nicer IMO.

Miami is fun, but I prefer Ft Lauderdale for the restaurants/shopping/walking in the Los Olas canals. Plus it is fun to stare at the multi million dollar yachts and the italian sports cars.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post: