Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-12-2020, 01:02 PM   #81
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

From my experience in the gym, I would estimate that 90% of gym goers have form/technique issues yet believe they are really strong. Most people would benefit by dropping the weight significantly and focusing on their movements. If someone is concerned about their form being the problem, check out Mark Rippetoe’s website/book/videos.

If you have perfected the range of movement for an exercise and are no longer sore, it is probably time to change up the routine. That being said, leg soreness from squats never seems to be absent after a good workout. There is a reason why many people skip leg day.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wwkayaker For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 03:00 PM   #82
Discoste
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Yeah, it was for sure a week or two of pain. It goes away though and honestly the best medicine for that is increased movement. Stretch, keep mobile and your body will deal with that.
This. Active Recovery is important.

Perhaps most important thing that we tend to ignore is sleep - duration and quality.

If we're not recovered well enough from the previous day's workout, you can't get the most of the next workout.
Discoste is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Discoste For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 04:18 PM   #83
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I used to work out a lot and then I had some back issues and stepped away from it for a year or two. I'm just getting back into it now.

I would say being sore the next day is good, but being extremely sore after your body has grown used to the full range of movement is probably a form issue - especially if it is in the lower back or glutes.
I disagree with this. There are different types of soreness. There is the soreness within the joints, which is bad. There is also the dreaded DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscles Soreness), which comes post-squats, and is actually a sign that your form is good enough to properly hit your leg muscles. This type of soreness occurs within the major muscles in the legs.

After heavy squats, or a descent amount of reps at moderately weighted squats, I will get extreme soreness in my quads and buttocks. It won't start until at least 1.5 days after the workout, and depending on how good the workout is, it will last for up to a week post-workout.

I do agree that your body can get used to this after a while, somewhat. However, unless you are using PEDs, you will always get DOMS if you push yourself anywhere near your limits.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:23 PM   #84
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I disagree with this. There are different types of soreness. There is the soreness within the joints, which is bad. There is also the dreaded DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscles Soreness), which comes post-squats, and is actually a sign that your form is good enough to properly hit your leg muscles. This type of soreness occurs within the major muscles in the legs.

After heavy squats, or a descent amount of reps at moderately weighted squats, I will get extreme soreness in my quads and buttocks. It won't start until at least 1.5 days after the workout, and depending on how good the workout is, it will last for up to a week post-workout.

I do agree that your body can get used to this after a while, somewhat. However, unless you are using PEDs, you will always get DOMS if you push yourself anywhere near your limits.
That's been my experience with legs too. Again, as people have pointed out, soreness does not equal pain. I still get soreness after a good leg workout, and similarly, around the 1.5 to 2 days mark, and goes away by about day 3 or 4. For me, it's a sign that I've properly worked out the legs and didn't dog it at the gym. I actually get disappointed if I don't feel that soreness, TBQH.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:24 PM   #85
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think that the back squat is particularly difficult for most people to pull off properly. I was loading up to 225 on the bar and my lower back/glutes killed me after every work-out. I switched to front squats, and I still get that burn in my quads, but the lower back pain has entirely disappeared.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:37 PM   #86
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
I think that the back squat is particularly difficult for most people to pull off properly. I was loading up to 225 on the bar and my lower back/glutes killed me after every work-out. I switched to front squats, and I still get that burn in my quads, but the lower back pain has entirely disappeared.
LBP pain, once again, comes in different forms. A long set of squats will do a significant amount of work on your core, which includes strengthening your lower back muscles.However that's totally different than damaging your spine and other lower back tissues.

Any time you are building the muscles, you are also doing micro-damage to the fibres, which is going to cause some soreness, no matter how often you lift or how long you've been lifting for. It's micro tears in the muscle fibres which actually encourage growth.

BTW I've also been going to MadLab in Vancouver, and I've been there almost 9 years. The coaches there are quite good. They've helped me increase my mobility, which has dramatically helped my deadlifting technique.

I'd also recommend reading Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:41 PM   #87
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
LBP pain, once again, comes in different forms. A long set of squats will do a significant amount of work on your core, which includes strengthening your lower back muscles.However that's totally different than damaging your spine and other lower back tissues.

Any time you are building the muscles, you are also doing micro-damage to the fibres, which is going to cause some soreness, no matter how often you lift or how long you've been lifting for. It's micro tears in the muscle fibres which actually encourage growth.

BTW I've also been going to MadLab in Vancouver, and I've been there almost 9 years. The coaches there are quite good. They've helped me increase my mobility, which has dramatically helped my deadlifting technique.

I'd also recommend reading Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength.
I appreciate that. I think my back injury and overall hesitation to load on the back squat has caused some form issues. I also think that a lot of people don't activate their core, which is a huge part of the squat.

I've read Starting Strength a few times over the years and it has been a pretty key component to my physical recovery!

Also cool about Madlab. I'm sure we will run into each other at some point and you can report back to the forum about my overwhelming abrasiveness. But seriously, it has been great and the coaches have really helped me get things back on track to where I was physically 4 or 5 years ago. Long ways to go yet though.
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 05:12 PM   #88
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I appreciate that. I think my back injury and overall hesitation to load on the back squat has caused some form issues. I also think that a lot of people don't activate their core, which is a huge part of the squat.

I've read Starting Strength a few times over the years and it has been a pretty key component to my physical recovery!

Also cool about Madlab. I'm sure we will run into each other at some point and you can report back to the forum about my overwhelming abrasiveness. But seriously, it has been great and the coaches have really helped me get things back on track to where I was physically 4 or 5 years ago. Long ways to go yet though.
It's definitely not normal to have lower back pain after squats. I'm not sure why that's being objected to. You've obviously worked out enough to know the difference between DOMS and pain.

Back (particularly disc) sprains from squats and deadlifts are the #1 gym injury alongside shoulder impingement with overhead lifting.

Form is important but a recent study showed there is ALWAYS flexion occuring at L5/S1 (ie the most conmonly injured disc will take some undue stress) in a perfect parallel squat, even in olympic lifters. Form won't save you if you have mechanical issues in your lower back and hips.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:25 PM   #89
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

That was a really hard week. Went 5 days in a row to F45. Had to really struggle to get through todays class but I already feel better.

now to go drink a couple bottles of wine with steak dinner
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MacDaddy77 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2020, 02:21 PM   #90
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Today is a rest day.

I didn't have it planned, but woke up and my body was sore.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 02:38 PM   #91
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
That was a really hard week. Went 5 days in a row to F45. Had to really struggle to get through todays class but I already feel better.

now to go drink a couple bottles of wine with steak dinner
Stick with it! I found this morning was a tough one as well. That third lap at 45 seconds isn't one that I look forward to.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 08:44 AM   #92
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

The journey begins.

251 on the scale this morning. Unacceptable.

Goal is 215 (Hockey weight in the W 10 years ago)

60 minutes on the treadmill this morning. Almost dying. But feels awesome.

Trouble is how much worse my Asthma has gotten over the years so working out is really difficult. But time to see how much that actually limits me vs just using it as an excuse
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2020, 09:26 AM   #93
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
The journey begins.

Trouble is how much worse my Asthma has gotten over the years so working out is really difficult. But time to see how much that actually limits me vs just using it as an excuse
For what it's worth (hopefully motivating), asthma is an inflammatory process and extra adipose is correlated with inflammation. Not to mention the benefits of exercise on lung function.

Break the cycle! Good luck.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:35 AM   #94
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The journey begins.

You got this, you fat ####.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:49 AM   #95
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Stick with it! I found this morning was a tough one as well. That third lap at 45 seconds isn't one that I look forward to.
Really enjoying it! taking the day off today so no class but I'm really impressed so far with the workouts and how they are presented and are different each day in a week.
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MacDaddy77 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2020, 11:07 AM   #96
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
For what it's worth (hopefully motivating), asthma is an inflammatory process and extra adipose is correlated with inflammation. Not to mention the benefits of exercise on lung function.

Break the cycle! Good luck.
For sure. And I'm hoping slowly getting heavier over the years has been what's contributing to it being harder to breath more than the asthma anyway
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 11:20 AM   #97
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
For sure. And I'm hoping slowly getting heavier over the years has been what's contributing to it being harder to breath more than the asthma anyway
Being fat is an immense burden in every single way. The good news is that once you get over the initial two weeks of pain and embarassment, you start to see some nice gains in your strength, flexibility, and mobility. It's that first couple of ####ty weeks that are the hardest to get over.
Old 02-21-2020, 11:23 AM   #98
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

And the gym embarrassment thing is all is your head anyway. We're all just there doing our own thing, I'm not worried about anyone else, big or small.

The biggest hurdle is getting there, the next one is when that initial weight loss levels off. Those first two-months you'll see great results. Keep going and not be discouraged when it goes harder.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2020, 11:43 AM   #99
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
And the gym embarrassment thing is all is your head anyway. We're all just there doing our own thing, I'm not worried about anyone else, big or small. .
Truer words never been spoken.

There is one exception, and that is the "expert" that is giving advice to everyone. Often this person is the one in the gym with poor form on their own lifts and poor workout habits.

That person is noticed.......

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2020, 11:53 AM   #100
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I did around 70 wall balls the other day with a 20 lb ball and I am sore all over the body.