Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-23-2020, 07:43 AM   #21
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

FWIW, Sonos is planning to implement a method of allowing older, non-supported devices to connect on a form of secondary network, thus allowing in-support products to receive updates. This will go live at the same time the devices are retired. That said, I suspect you have to actively make such a change and the way they are doing it is very likely designed to trick people into upgrading everything now.

Also, this is the IoT world. Companies - both for reasons of planned obsolescence and complexity of support - are only ever going to support these devices for a limited period of time. Under Armour is also bricking a bunch of devices for similar reasons.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:49 AM   #22
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If that's how it is going to be, Governments should require companies to have a return and recycling program for these devices, and clearly labelled(maybe like a giant cigarette warning) that a device is only supported for 5 years or whatever, and you can expect it to have whatever reduced functionality after that date. At least consumers would be informed before throwing money away.

I'd much prefer to buy something like a dumb TV, and plug in a cheap Roku or Chromecast or whatever and only have a small device that gets obsolete.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2020, 10:23 AM   #23
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think that anyone is expecting perpetual support for devices, but a little bit of grandfathering and/or backwards compatibility would give their consumers a little more confidence. But even Apple, often accused of similar tactics, would tread very lightly at actually removing features for fear of people fleeing the ecosystem.

Any device that could AirPlay before can still AirPlay now, for example. Even my son's "iPod" (my old iPhone 4s) can airplay to my older and newer Apple TVs, make a FaceTime call, etc. Sure, it can't do multi-room audio with AirPlay2, or FaceTime group calls, but that device never could. A device like the iPhone 4s is frozen in time and that's expected at a certain point in its lifecycle, but that doesn't mean that my entire network/system should now be frozen in time too. That's what Sonos has effectively done here.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:48 AM   #24
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
If that's how it is going to be, Governments should require companies to have a return and recycling program for these devices
Would never happen, but I love this idea. Put the onus back on the company and I bet you'd magically start seeing this class of devices go from 5 year lifespans to 10-15 years.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 03:30 PM   #25
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Would never happen, but I love this idea. Put the onus back on the company and I bet you'd magically start seeing this class of devices go from 5 year lifespans to 10-15 years.
Give it time and the EU will absolutely table something like this. The EU can be a pain in the arse for a lot of reasons, but their consumer protection legislation has been pretty good. With Greta Thunberg talking at them incessantly, I'm sure someone will finally be inspired to table some sort of environmental protection legislation to make the headache stop.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 05:00 PM   #26
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I wonder what the cost breakdown would be in terms of having to support these older systems. I'd imagine it isn't much.

I get that after 10+ years some things are no longer feasible, but 5 years? That is way too soon.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 11:37 AM   #27
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Well yah, and price would skyrocket too.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 12:36 PM   #28
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Well yah, and price would skyrocket too.
Good. Buy less ####ty stuff.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2020, 02:34 PM   #29
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

So it took the CEO of Sonos a day to walk their plans back lol.

Good thing as I have several Sonos "legacy" components that are 10 years old and was quite furious when I read the initial reports.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 05:10 PM   #30
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
So it took the CEO of Sonos a day to walk their plans back lol.

Good thing as I have several Sonos "legacy" components that are 10 years old and was quite furious when I read the initial reports.
This is the latest update that I am aware of:

Quote:
We heard you. We did not get this right from the start. My apologies for that and I wanted to personally assure you of the path forward:

First, rest assured that come May, when we end new software updates for our legacy products, they will continue to work as they do today. We are not bricking them, we are not forcing them into obsolescence, and we are not taking anything away. Many of you have invested heavily in your Sonos systems, and we intend to honor that investment for as long as possible. While legacy Sonos products won’t get new software features, we pledge to keep them updated with bug fixes and security patches for as long as possible. If we run into something core to the experience that can’t be addressed, we’ll work to offer an alternative solution and let you know about any changes you’ll see in your experience.

Secondly, we heard you on the issue of legacy products and modern products not being able to coexist in your home. We are working on a way to split your system so that modern products work together and get the latest features, while legacy products work together and remain in their current state. We’re finalizing details on this plan and will share more in the coming weeks.

While we have a lot of great products and features in the pipeline, we want our customers to upgrade to our latest and greatest products when they’re excited by what the new products offer, not because they feel forced to do so. That’s the intent of the trade up program we launched for our loyal customers.

Thank you for being a Sonos customer. Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I hope that you’ll forgive our misstep, and let us earn back your trust. Without you, Sonos wouldn’t exist and we’ll work harder than ever to earn your loyalty every single day.

If you have any further questions please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Patrick Spence
CEO, Sonos
I see a clarification but not a 'walk back' of their plans.

Having two independent systems in the house (legacy and modern) that can't communicate with each other is not going to make most people happy.

NOTE the careful wording "We are working on a way to split your system so that modern products work together and get the latest features, while legacy products work together and remain in their current state"

There is no confirmation that the two systems will work together or any acknowledgement that they won't.

It will most likely take the form of two apps with two completely independent systems.

On top of this, the legacy part of the system (with equipment with an age potentially starting at 4 years) has only 'we will try our best' guarantee of performance going forward.

Last edited by cupofjoe; 01-24-2020 at 05:13 PM.
cupofjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cupofjoe For This Useful Post: