Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-02-2019, 10:41 AM   #21
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Murray Hay will always be my local map maker.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2019, 10:44 AM   #22
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was at Louise yesterday. Needs a snowfall to cover up the carnage from the holiday crowd, but it was a nice sunny day. Looks like they're getting 10-20 tomorrow so that should take care of the coverage.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 07:55 PM   #23
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I found lots of pow at the lake yesterday. And gonna find even more tomorrow. 😀
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:58 AM   #24
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ those of us that are at work today (friday) appreciate this information
Old 01-04-2019, 07:27 AM   #25
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh wow...Louise:

Last 48 Hrs 86cm

I'd imagine a lot of the backside will be closed today, and possibly even tomorrow, so Sunday will probably still have lots of untouched if they can get it open by then.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:25 AM   #26
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

My friend at Louise yesterday:
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2019, 09:36 AM   #27
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Skiing 2018-19

I can’t wait until we fly to Calgary in April.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:36 PM   #28
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Oh wow...Louise:

Last 48 Hrs 86cm

I'd imagine a lot of the backside will be closed today, and possibly even tomorrow, so Sunday will probably still have lots of untouched if they can get it open by then.
You're wrong. I've been skiing the backside all morning

That being said this is the busiest I have ever seen this hill by far. It's almost not worth it. But yeah everything is pretty tracked. I'm not sure if Boundary area opened so that would be worth a hike for first tracks tomorrow.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 01-04-2019, 02:46 PM   #29
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
You're wrong. I've been skiing the backside all morning

That being said this is the busiest I have ever seen this hill by far. It's almost not worth it. But yeah everything is pretty tracked. I'm not sure if Boundary area opened so that would be worth a hike for first tracks tomorrow.
Crazy, usually it takes them a long time to open the back after a big snowfall. I looked at the webcams and saw the lines were quite large for a Friday, but I guess school is still out.

I've got to many adult things to do this weekend, so sadly I'll be missing this one.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:09 PM   #30
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

You're probably not missing too much, honestly. I gather the top closed again in the afternoon after something slid (nothing major). By then I was fully in tree skiing mode.

Sadly, I broke a twig by slamming it head on into a stump that appeared to be a pillowy mound of snow... ah well, I wanted new skis anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2019, 08:09 PM   #31
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Went to Lake Louise today. Never in my life have I seen the lake so packed. 3 km out of lake louise was a traffic jam because of volume. Took us over an hour to crawl 3 clicks. Lines were horrendous. The que got better in the afternoon but the morning was a mess. If you're going tomorrow go early. I have a feeling it will be even more busy.
CedarMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CedarMeter For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2019, 09:28 PM   #32
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Wow, I was so bummed to be at work and not at Louise today. I would've hated those lines (obviously, who wouldn't?), so it sounds like it wasn't the worst day to miss in spite of all the snow.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:41 AM   #33
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarMeter View Post
Went to Lake Louise today. Never in my life have I seen the lake so packed. 3 km out of lake louise was a traffic jam because of volume. Took us over an hour to crawl 3 clicks. Lines were horrendous. The que got better in the afternoon but the morning was a mess. If you're going tomorrow go early. I have a feeling it will be even more busy.
If the amount of people buying lift tickets at costco at the same time as me is any indication then it's gonna be bad today too.

77cm in 24 hours though!

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:07 AM   #34
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Take a look at the LL webcams. Packed today!
CedarMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:47 PM   #35
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarMeter View Post
Take a look at the LL webcams. Packed today!
Pain in the ass in the morning but lines weren't too crazy. Definitely longer than I've seen in awhile but nothing too wild.

Great snow in the back bowl.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:31 PM   #36
holden
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Super one sided article about Scurfield and Sunshine.

Corbella: Sunshine ski resort owner gets unfair offer he can't refuse from feds

Quote:
The Collins dictionary defines extortion as “the crime of obtaining something from someone, especially money, by using force or threats.” Parks Canada, then, may have just become this country’s largest extortionist.

On Monday, Ralph Scurfield, president and CEO of Sunshine Village — the ski resort he and his family have built into a world-renowned destination for mountain sport enthusiasts — was forced to agree to new site guidelines for Sunshine or have his family’s business sold out from under him by Parks Canada and, by extension, Justin Trudeau’s federal Liberal government.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...fuse-from-feds
holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:35 PM   #37
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The whoa is me attitude of the sleazy Scurfields is hilarious.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:46 PM   #38
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe if they hadn't spent a decade fighting their parking issue, they wouldn't have been forced into this. I'm not sure the details of the $1 sale, but that doesn't strike me as all that fair. Despite my loathing of the Scurfield's, it sounds like a bit of a raw deal. In year 30, why would they invest another dime? And when the lease reverts back, does Parks shutter it, or sell it for big bucks? Or is it worth nothing because everything will look like Fortress did?

It reminds me a bit like what happened to Asinibone. Certainly not the same, but Parks sure likes to flex their muscles occasionally.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:08 PM   #39
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Maybe if they hadn't spent a decade fighting their parking issue, they wouldn't have been forced into this. I'm not sure the details of the $1 sale, but that doesn't strike me as all that fair. Despite my loathing of the Scurfield's, it sounds like a bit of a raw deal. In year 30, why would they invest another dime? And when the lease reverts back, does Parks shutter it, or sell it for big bucks? Or is it worth nothing because everything will look like Fortress did?

It reminds me a bit like what happened to Asinibone. Certainly not the same, but Parks sure likes to flex their muscles occasionally.
What sort of business lease that ends do you get paid out for? Remember they don’t own the land. Chances are they can work out a new lease anyway.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:47 AM   #40
holden
Scoring Winger

Exp:

A little more info in this article.

Banff's Sunshine ski resort accepts site guidelines in face of closing business

Quote:
An internationally known ski resort in Banff National Park has signed new site guidelines that include a plan for future growth — despite having grave concerns with it.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...xD3YRSryfMfRAw
holden is offline   Reply With Quote