Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-10-2014, 07:42 PM   #1
eddly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default building a house with Sabal - question about floor plans

As the title suggests, Sabal is building a house for me. I received the draft plans yesterday.

The designer who forwarded them to me indicated that she noticed that there was no outlet for the microwave in the plans and it will be added. A few weeks ago she noticed that there was no water hookup for the fridge, and that she would add that.

They seem to be missing some basic things here. I have been given 48 hours (I imagine I can get an extension) to finalize the plans. Should I get the plans reviewed by a third party? I would hate for something to be missed. Any suggestions on who could do this and an estimated cost? I think it would be worthwhile.

Old 10-11-2014, 01:55 PM   #2
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

I wouldn't be too worried. An OTR plug is mandatory. They would have installed it and never told you that it was missed on the plan. A fridge water line is easy to install at any stage of construction... Even if there's a basement development. It just would have cost them a couple of bucks.

What else is there to miss that you're worried about? Check that you've got medicine cabinets, BBQ gas line, might want to confirm that your basement window is a double slider so that you can develop the basement later and load materials through a 4' window, might want to figure out where your furnace vents as it might be crappily located where you want to put a deck, hopefully your attic hatch isn't in the middle of a bedroom... Most stuff is easy to add during construction. Annoying for the supe, but it can be done.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:32 PM   #3
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I'm just in the process of building with them. Are those plans within a few days of you putting in the offer to purchase? If so, by the time I was done all my appointments with the Design Studio I must have made about a dozen changes to the drawings for things like electrical, data, gas lines, extra plumbing (including sink in the garage), moving central vac to garage, etc.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:41 PM   #4
eddly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just as an update - I decided to trust my own abilities to review the floor plans.

Sabal is completing our basement as well and upon reviewing the basement plans I noticed that they had indicated that exactly half the ceiling would be a 1 foot dropped bulkhead. Upon reviewing that with them they agreed that that was an error and corrected it. I didn't notice anything else.

Oh they did have the wrong address on one of the pages. Perhaps not a big deal... probably want to make sure they build the house on the right lot though.