Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #21
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think I'll ever watch it. I can't stand all the gratuitous gore being shown on regular TV lately.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #22
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, this last one was too gory for network TV...
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:06 AM   #23
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Throw it on HBO and add more!
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:03 AM   #24
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark2 View Post
So is it still a new serial killer every week? Haven't been watching since episode 2.
There was a new one this week and previews for next week seem to suggest the same.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VANFLAMESFAN For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2013, 07:22 PM   #25
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
I had use the illegal methods, even then it was still hard to find.
I just found it as well. Fortunately I haven't reached it yet since I just started watching the show, so I can watch in order.

edit: apparently what I found was the web episode that had the crimes cut out and made into a 30 minute episode. I will need to look around to find the whole thing

Last edited by Alberta_Beef; 04-29-2013 at 07:49 AM.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:25 PM   #26
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just a question for those coment about a new killer every week. The series will be dedicated and likely end with the catching of Hannibal himself, so while they may have a new case every week right now, the subplots for the future are there to have a long drawn out case involving Hannibal. Plus I am only on episode 3 and they have been working on the 1st case in some regard the entire time.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:46 PM   #27
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

This series really deserves more attention than it's getting... It's understandably a niche show, but I can't remember I saw a show this visually and aurally interesting on network tv. The look of the show is fantastic, the care that goes into framing shots is unheard of in this medium, and the sound helps to accent just how disturbing this subject matter is.

Some of the writing is a little hit and miss, but the performances in general are very compelling, and given what time it's on, I would hope NBC does the right thing and gives this series at least two seasons to find its footing.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:57 PM   #28
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

There is a new baddie every week, but it is only 10-15 minutes out of the 42 minute episode. Which in one case means that the main subplots take precedence, however they catch the bad guy rather easily. The aside to the aside though is that I find it more realistic that they find him "easier" than shows that have a new baddie and spend 42 minutes trying to find them, though during the 42 minutes they think they "found him" about 5 times each episode and it is very easy to predict.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:44 AM   #29
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally finished watching all the episodes from my PVR. Great show, super creepy. Hopefully next season has more episodes.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:56 PM   #30
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

I just finished it too. Really enjoyed it. Loved it as a reboot, people who have watched will love the ending.

As much as I hate violence in the real world, I do admit, I kinda like it in shows and movies. As long as it's creepy and makes sense. I don't like over the top action violence, and I get tired of horror/slasher violence. But creep me out or make it really interesting, and I'll get behind it. Kinda like how the violence in Seven and the first Saw was really cool, but the rest of the Saw's were just dumb. Seven is still a really good example. Very violent. But creepy and for a purpose, at least for the plot.

Just one thing about this series, I'll put it in spoilers and anyone who is caught up on it can answer in spoilers for me if they like.

Spoiler!
Old 07-20-2013, 06:03 PM   #31
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

To add, I really like this series because of the two main characters. Both are excellent actors, portraying interesting characters. I love the back and forth when the scene get talky. I love Will questioning his sanity, I love trying to figure out Hannibal's true motivations.

Fishburne as Jack is really good too. I still just have such a hard time seeing Scott Thompson as a crime scene investigator, heh.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:33 PM   #32
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Looking back at some of the episodes, I may not have seen what I thought I saw. Maybe I dreamt it. Sometimes my dreams are so real.

Oh god... I'm Will!
Old 04-20-2014, 09:04 PM   #33
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Catching up on this and I cannot believe how completely it flies under the radar or how insanely good it is.

Mads Mikkelson as Hannibal is the best role on TV and this is the best show on any network and it's not close. I'm having difficulty thinking of a better TV show period. There's true detective, but who knows if next season's will be as good as last.

Last edited by 19Yzerman19; 04-20-2014 at 09:06 PM.
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:18 PM   #34
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Agreed. This show is uber creepy though. It's remarkably difficult to watch at times, but it's like a train wreck when it gets to those points. Just so hard to look away.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:38 PM   #35
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think that's part of why it hasn't taken off. It pulls very few punches (still think it occasionally pulls a couple) and clearly does not belong on NBC. Belongs on HBO, honestly, except for the lack of tits. But its creepiness is entirely appropriate. Every cooking / butchery montage in Hannibal's kitchen is epic.

Additional props need to be given to whoever is doing art direction on this thing, the cinematography is absurdly good for a TV show. Particularly one shot consistently in such cold tones.

Honestly I'm at the point where I'm completely conflicted because Hannibal is such an awesome character that I'm kind of rooting for him, but Will is simultaneously insane and sympathetic so it's hard not to pull for him, too.
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 19Yzerman19 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2014, 12:04 AM   #36
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

The show is so visual. Not just the dream sequences, and the murders, but they way every single frame is shot. So much symbolism and artistry in each scene.

The acting is unreal too.

I'm getting worried about the murders though. It's caught in that trap of having to one up it each time, and it appears their running out of ideas, plus it's getting less special each time.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:20 PM   #37
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've now watched all but one episode of this season, but am just not as captivated as last season.

The constant, monotonously dour tone to the show, and the fact that every character has only one, flat emotional state, particularly Will, has killed the show.

Plus, the continual twists they take to keep Hannibal's position status quo are getting ridiculous (though it will eventually change due to the flash-forward at the start of the season).

I'm now watching out of obligation more that excitement.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:29 PM   #38
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now 10 episodes in, and this show has taken a completely unexpected, and IMO unbelievable, but nonetheless interesting turn.

Spoiler!

I stand by my earlier comments about the monotonous tone, but the story direction now has me very excited to see how things play out.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:50 AM   #39
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Agreed. This has become one of the shows I can't not watch in a week. My PVR is backing up with other shows because of work and life, but i always make time to catch up on Hannibal at least on Friday nights or Saturday afternoon.

I think this is very under rated and I hope more people tune in, despite the tone and gratuitous nature. I'm getting tired of having no one to talk to about this show. haha.
The direction they're going has definitely intrigued me, and knowing that they have a full story arc and an end game with the series makes this a very compelling watch.

Spoiler!
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to manwiches For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2014, 03:14 AM   #40
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

I really liked this weeks episode. I can see why some wouldn't like the show or it would be too much for them, it's not for everyone, but I'm rehooked after the last two episodes.

Like the casting for Mason. Good to see the sister back in the mythos as well since they didn't keep the character in the book to movie translation.