Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-08-2011, 05:04 PM   #241
Yasa
First Line Centre

Exp:

Damn, Pinner. Solid grill marks you've got going on there. Perfect 90°.
Yasa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yasa For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2011, 05:24 PM   #242
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinner View Post
3" Porterhouse is too thick IMO, I've tried it. On a hot grill the outside was over cooked by the time the MOO comes out of the inside. I tried... I even cooked it indirectly to finish.

Want...

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:47 PM   #243
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
3" Porterhouse is too thick IMO, I've tried it. On a hot grill the outside was over cooked by the time the MOO comes out of the inside. I tried... I even cooked it indirectly to finish.

Damn that looks good.

If you want to add a little something to the potatoes...brush them with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper befire putting them on the grill. Delicious.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:43 PM   #244
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Hahahahaha damn Pinner when I do it I sear it up like yours but you have to finish it in the oven unless you like it super rare, like blue rare.
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:49 PM   #245
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

komskies... get thread bump!!!

i figured i'd try a new recipe from a "skewer" book my mother-in-law got me for christmas.....

pepper pork skewers:

mix together ...
lime juice - 3 tbsp
apricot jam - 2 tbsp
dijon mustard (with seeds) - 2 tbsp (i just had normal dijon... worked fine)
soy sauce - 1 tbsp
garlic - 1 clove, minced

take a pound of pork tenderloin and cut it into 1" cubes... dump the pork into the above mixture, mix it up and let it stand in the fridge for at least 3 hours.

1 small red pepper & 1 small yellow or orange pepper - cut into pieces

get your skewers and go pepper/pork/pepper/pork.....

sprinkle with lemon pepper

preheat the bbq and cook skewers until pork is done (took about 10 minutes on my bbq)

pretty tasty and pretty healthy!

Old 04-08-2011, 07:59 PM   #246
Mad Mel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasa View Post
Damn, Pinner. Solid grill marks you've got going on there. Perfect 90°.
Damn, Yasa. Solid use of the °. Perfect alt + numpad 0176.

Yeah, I'm a nerd.
Mad Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mad Mel For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2011, 10:23 PM   #247
MaDMaN_26
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

not reading the whole thread, but one of the first post was "what BBQ to buy". I bought my Broil-Mate from Canadian tire. I have had it for over a year. no cover, it was cheap in the sense I didn't pay more for my BBQ than I did my stove. BBQ is meant to be "low and slow" I laugh about when I see these outragous BTU ratings... who BBQ's on max really? Not successfully I'd wager. Broil-Mate - made in Canada, seems to have a great even burn. Clean out the ash once in a while and you have your self an affordable and very capable BBQ for 1/5 the cost of the ridiculous models out there... seriously you need a side burner? You can't do your boiling in the house? bah... wasted money.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:45 PM   #248
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Old 04-08-2011, 11:18 PM   #249
MaDMaN_26
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post

All about photography... no steak looks like that with flames like that... probably photo shopped in. In fact most food photos in magazine are not of edible food. they are glazed with paints to make them look good and be out for hours while the "shoot" happens.

best steaks and burgers you'll ever make are when your not in a hurry. real low even heat. It's also HUUUGE to preheat your BBQ on high and be quick, get that lid down fast, flip in five and let simmer on real low. Almost can't go wrong... almost.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:49 PM   #250
Pooty
Draft Pick

Saw this thread and thought it was the perfect place to boast the greatest burger I've ever experienced. Me and two buddies decided to make and grill this monstrosity last week. I'll try to remember the ingredients.

1/2 Red Onion
1-2 Jalapeno's
2 Kg Lean Ground Beef
5 Eggs
1/4 Cup Breadcrumbs
2 Tbs Cayenne pepper (more if ya like it hotter)
Salt and Pepper
Jalapeno Jack Cheese sliced
Toppings (Lettuce, tomato, onion, etc)
3 thick buns

Start by finely chopping the onion and jalapeno and mixing it into the beef along with 2 eggs, the cayenne, and the breadcrumbs (don't overmix or you'll get a tough burger). Make into 6 thin patties, about the size of your hand. Take a patty and two slices of jack and place in the centre and put another patty on top. Crimp and fold the edges so that ya get one massive burger patty (like 1 1/3 lb). Do this with the rest and heat your grill on high. Turn it to low and cook your burgers about 15-20 minutes per side (add salt and pepper at this point) and right before finishing put two slices of cheese on each patty and grill your buns then take off the heat and let rest. While it's resting, fry up those three eggs however you like your eggs and place on top of the patties. dress your buns with whatever ya like on your burger (We put guacamole, it was awesome). Goes nice with a good potato and egg salad. For a tip, the bigger the bun, the better; most buns will just cave under the pressure.

We were so excited we forgot to take a picture, sorry guys. I'll tell ya that you'll probably want to take a long nap after, this thing is beast. It filled me up for the next three days and I'm not a small guy...6'5" 250.

Enjoy responsibly.

Last edited by Pooty; 04-09-2011 at 12:08 AM.
Pooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:07 AM   #251
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDMaN_26 View Post
All about photography... no steak looks like that with flames like that... probably photo shopped in. In fact most food photos in magazine are not of edible food. they are glazed with paints to make them look good and be out for hours while the "shoot" happens.

best steaks and burgers you'll ever make are when your not in a hurry. real low even heat. It's also HUUUGE to preheat your BBQ on high and be quick, get that lid down fast, flip in five and let simmer on real low. Almost can't go wrong... almost.
I disagree with the low heat part. I cook mine on high heat and flip mine in 2-3 minutes depending on thickness. It browns/sears the outside of the meat while leaving it rare to medum on the inside. Too much cooking will dry the meat out - it's how my brother does it and why he never gets to BBQ a steak when he flies home for a visit.

I also season the meat with Montreal steak spice.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:01 AM   #252
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

The smoking has begun!

My brother (CP member Aegypticus) ended up finding a nice 4.2kg pork shoulder at Sobey's yesterday. Last night we prepared our own spice rub mixture (brown sugar, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, celery salt, white sugar, smoked paprika, hot chili powder, cumin, and cracked black pepper) and applied a liberal coating of rub to the pork. We also injected it with a cider vinegar, water, sugar, and salt solution. We used the same dry rub for the beef ribs.

We fired up the smoker at around 9:30 this morning. Our nice cheap $60 Costco smoker that is. It's a wet smoker so we put a marinade made out of coke, vinegar, water, and the leftover spice rub into the marinade tray. We also soaked a whole bunch of mesquite chips last night, which we placed right on top of the hot charcoal. Half now, half when we put the ribs on.

We'll take more pictures of everything when we put the ribs on around noon.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Komskies For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2011, 12:14 PM   #253
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just added a new handful of wood chips and put the ribs on. The pork has been on for about 2.5 hours now. Internal temperature right now of 104°.

Here's a shot of the ribs right before putting them on:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Komskies For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2011, 12:56 PM   #254
BOSSY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

That is clearly not enough ribs...
BOSSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:02 PM   #255
Pinner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
The pork has been on for about 2.5 hours now. Internal temperature right now of 104°.
That didn't take long, how hot is the smoker ?

What's your target 195 or so ?
Pinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:07 PM   #256
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Target is 170. I'm not too worried about the temperature right now, my past experience tells me that the last 10-15 degrees takes far longer than the first 10-15. Not sure of the internal temperature of the smoker, it only has a an imprecise gauge on it telling you approximately where the ideal temperature is.

Those are beef ribs, so they are larger than they look in the picture. If we had any more, they would not be able to fit on a rack in a single layer.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:19 PM   #257
Pinner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I've always heard 195 min. Just sayin

Quote:
In the book How To Cook Meat, authors Chris Schlesinger and John Willoughby say that tough cuts of meat must be "cooked through doneness to tenderness." In other words, you don't stop cooking a pork butt when it reaches the internal temperature we associate with tender cuts like pork loin or pork tenderloin. A pork butt is not edible if cooked to 140°F or even 170°F.

In order to be tender, a pork butt must be cooked to an internal temperature of 180-205°. The reason for this, according to McGee, is that the conversion of collagen to gelatin doesn't even begin until meat reaches an internal temperature of 140°F, and is most efficient as internal temps approach 212°F. "Low and slow" barbecuing at 225-250°F is ideal to facilitate this conversion, providing gentle heat over many hours, allowing the collagen to make its transition into gelatin. While some moisture will be driven out of the pork butt as it reaches these high internal temps, the gelatin makes up for it and keeps the meat moist.

For sliced pork, cook to 180-185°.
For pulled pork, cook to 190-205°.
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/porkbuttselect.html
Pinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:27 PM   #258
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are different schools of thought on this. I did read your link thoroughly, but I've had success before not cooking it to such a high temperature.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:01 PM   #259
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Keep posting the pics guys! looking good!

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:03 PM   #260
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We'll try to get a couple more pics when we replenish the charcoal. Temp is at 134, but I do expect to see the plateau mentioned in Pinner's link pretty soon just based on past experience.
Aegypticus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bbq , beer , grilling , meat , napoleon , steak , weber