Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-14-2018, 09:58 AM   #1
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Saudi Troubles

I thought this could use a thread, as it seems that they are having a lot of trouble balancing being Theocratic Kingdom holding absolute power, and appealing to western democracies as a nice place to invest and do business with. It's apparently tough to murder people and still appear level headed.

Quote:
A number of international business leaders and media companies are distancing themselves from Saudi Arabia ahead of an investment summit in the kingdom later this month.
The pullback from projects with the Saudi government or attendance at the three-day event that begins Oct. 23 in Riyadh follows the disappearance of a Saudi journalist, Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi, who was last seen entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/jamal-...wals-1.4862404

The article lists a whole slew of media and tech companies bailing on the conference. This also looks good on Canada and our previous finger wagging that caused such a stir earlier. Perhaps if the international community had stood stronger with us, the Saudi's would have given a second thought to murdering a journalist? Maybe.

As far as I'm concerned we should be sanctioning this country and not doing business with them. Might help our oil industry as well.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:31 AM   #2
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:34 AM   #3
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm glad we called them out before it was cool to call them out.
Freeland is awesome.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:18 AM   #4
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Might help our oil industry as well.
Not if you're Jagmeet Singh.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:23 AM   #5
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

They aren’t dicking around

Quote:
But in a strongly worded op-ed published later on Sunday, Turki Aldakhil, general manager of the Saudi-owned Al-Arabiya news channel, warned that if the US imposed sanctions on Riyadh "it will stab its own economy to death," cause oil prices to reach as high as $200 a barrel, lead Riyadh to permit a Russian military base in the city of Tabuk, and drive the Middle East into the arms of Iran.
https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/10/14/mid...www.cnn.com%2F
Old 10-14-2018, 01:51 PM   #6
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
A bit of a bluff. Increased oil prices would make the USA's shale and fracking resources profitable, which would also make them energy independent. The Saudi's don't want to turn their best customer into a competitor.

Both the USA and the Saudis are unlikely to upset their current arrangement.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 02:16 PM   #7
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Like a petulant child having a tantrum...
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 02:39 PM   #8
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
A bit of a bluff. Increased oil prices would make the USA's shale and fracking resources profitable, which would also make them energy independent. The Saudi's don't want to turn their best customer into a competitor.

Both the USA and the Saudis are unlikely to upset their current arrangement.
Since the shale boom the USA doesn't import a whole lot of Saudi oil anyway. Canada exports about 2x as much as the Saudi's as does Latin America, they pretty much only buy Saudi oil to keep the peace.

I would think China,India and Japan would be Saudi Arabia's biggest customers for oil

Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:22 PM   #9
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

You want a strong stance.

Build Energy East and have the government inform Saudi Arabia and Venezuela that we will use our own oil and gas thanks

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 03:35 PM   #10
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Since the shale boom the USA doesn't import a whole lot of Saudi oil anyway. Canada exports about 2x as much as the Saudi's as does Latin America, they pretty much only buy Saudi oil to keep the peace.

I would think China,India and Japan would be Saudi Arabia's biggest customers for oil

Add South Korea.

https://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/visua...how/2709/2016/
Old 10-14-2018, 04:13 PM   #11
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
You want a strong stance.

Build Energy East and have the government inform Saudi Arabia and Venezuela that we will use our own oil and gas thanks
Energy East is an export pipeline. It was not intended to supply East Canada with oil as far as I know?
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:14 PM   #12
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post

20% of the USA oil is a huge amount. It's bigger than any other single country's total except for China:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...il_consumption

Even if the USA isn't buying all of it directly from SA, having them move from one of the largest importers to an exporter is going to substantially change the market.

China may also be importing a lot of oil, but their expansion is corporate as well as geographical. They've acquired huge stakes in many of the foreign companies they are using to import oil.
Old 10-14-2018, 04:17 PM   #13
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Energy East is an export pipeline. It was not intended to supply East Canada with oil as far as I know?

That can change.

Canada should be pushing for energy independence using out own oil in gas instead of buying from governments in the middle east and Venezuela.

Plus we wouldn't have to have their tankers in our water.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 04:18 PM   #14
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Does anyone have any idea what the motivation would be as to why they kidnapped this journalist?
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:24 PM   #15
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
That can change.

Canada should be pushing for energy independence using out own oil in gas instead of buying from governments in the middle east and Venezuela.

Plus we wouldn't have to have their tankers in our water.
Yup, it's a pipeline, you can shove anything through those things.
Old 10-14-2018, 04:49 PM   #16
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Does anyone have any idea what the motivation would be as to why they kidnapped this journalist?
Supposedly, he was murdered, not kidnapped.

Jamal Khashoggi was a very high end journalist and outspoken critic of the religious and political authorities in SA.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:15 PM   #17
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

The Saudis have - I think - almost a trillion bucks parked on Wall Street, that plays a massive role in funding the US Treasury. Unfortunately, no US politician is going to want to rock that apple cart too much.

Sadly, if you dig into Canada’s financial sector you’re going to find we’re also very vulnerable to the capital SA has at its disposal to weaponize.

This new three-way alliance between the US, Israel, and the Saudis has really emboldened the nutbars over there. Murdering a high-profile journalist on the soil of another country (embassy grounds, but whatever) is a very big deal.

MOD EDIT: too far.

Last edited by Iowa_Flames_Fan; 10-16-2018 at 10:56 PM.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 05:44 PM   #18
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
The Saudis have - I think - almost a trillion bucks parked on Wall Street, that plays a massive role in funding the US Treasury. Unfortunately, no US politician is going to want to rock that apple cart too much.

Sadly, if you dig into Canada’s financial sector you’re going to find we’re also very vulnerable to the capital SA has at its disposal to weaponize.

This new three-way alliance between the US, Israel, and the Saudis has really emboldened the nutbars over there. Murdering a high-profile journalist on the soil of another country (embassy grounds, but whatever) is a very big deal.

MOD EDIT-comment removed
I agree with this partially.

However, I think Saudi Arabia also feels like they are on their heels. Iran has them surrounded and is gaining a lot of influence in the area. Saudi Arabia has lost all control of the hardline Sunni islamist groups it created. Many of these groups have, in fact, turned their sights on the Saudi royal family.

This seems more a strong arm tactic designed to show a population who's in charge than a show of confidence.

Last edited by Iowa_Flames_Fan; 10-16-2018 at 10:57 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:29 PM   #19
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Must have been deleted in the purge, but this thread brings up a lot of memories of the posts in early August when Freeland had some less than nice words to say for SA. Glad people aren’t being as gentle on SA this time around.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:45 PM   #20
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canada is still selling weapons to Saudi Arabia. Freelance and the liberals are hypocrites
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote