Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-19-2024, 01:09 PM   #3181
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I have a moniter problem ... I got another one just to try out... a oled g9 ... I'm up to like 7 moniters in the last 6 months...

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 03-19-2024 at 06:33 PM.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2024, 05:48 AM   #3182
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ive had my vg27aq for a few years its one of the best purchases ive made. just love it.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 12:51 PM   #3183
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

My dell laptop (about 2 years old) won't turn on right now, it's plugged in and for whatever reason it just isn't turning on. Prior to this I had no issues. There is a ton of documents on there that I need today/tomorrow. What is the best course of action and does anyone know of a reputable company that can diagnose it?
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 01:29 PM   #3184
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
My dell laptop (about 2 years old) won't turn on right now, it's plugged in and for whatever reason it just isn't turning on. Prior to this I had no issues. There is a ton of documents on there that I need today/tomorrow. What is the best course of action and does anyone know of a reputable company that can diagnose it?
For steps you can take on your own; I would first take off the bottom plate and disconnect the battery for a few minutes and reconnect to see if that would allow the laptop to turn on

If it's still not working, if you have another computer with a spare (probably) NVMe M.2 slot, you can move the storage drive over to copy the files you need.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2024, 09:47 PM   #3185
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Learnt my lesson today to have my files backed up. I was luckily able to get it back and running but I still don’t trust it now. What’s a quality laptop that can run basic finance software and Microsoft office? My current Dell has 12GB ram. I don’t need anything fancy at all in terms of video etc as it’s strictly for business. I’m not sure I want to buy another Dell and I’m looking for quality. Screen size does not matter as I have a docking station
Old 03-22-2024, 03:15 PM   #3186
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
My new pc has amd 5 3600. What is a not too high cost AMD for socket chip that would be a great long-term investment? I previously had the i7 6700 and loved the longevity I got from it
In a similar boat and these sales on the 5700/58003XD chips are constantly tempting me.

I have no major incentive to upgrade other than to keep up, freshen things up as a partial upgrade so I can keep my b450 stuff going for another 5 years. Probably is more worthwhile upgrading my RX580 but I'm only dabbling with OW2 and Football Manager these days.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 03:25 PM   #3187
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Learnt my lesson today to have my files backed up. I was luckily able to get it back and running but I still don’t trust it now. What’s a quality laptop that can run basic finance software and Microsoft office? My current Dell has 12GB ram. I don’t need anything fancy at all in terms of video etc as it’s strictly for business. I’m not sure I want to buy another Dell and I’m looking for quality. Screen size does not matter as I have a docking station
I'll likely get yelled at, but the Macbook Air (M2 or M3) are wildly good/nice computers.

There's a premium on the Mac brand as always, but specifically with these M2/M3 processors - they're very good laptops.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2024, 03:44 PM   #3188
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I find it really difficult to consider a laptop other than a Macbook of some kind.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2024, 05:57 PM   #3189
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I love my MacBook but boy are they expensive. I think a mid-range HP laptop is good enough for basic use.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 07:30 PM   #3190
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I like some of Lenovo's stuff. Also like the Dell XPS stuff (but is also expensive).

My wife's ASUS has been going strong and Acer even has some decent stuff.

https://www.rtings.com/laptop/reviews/best/brands
https://www.rtings.com/laptop/reviews/best/windows
Old 03-23-2024, 01:23 AM   #3191
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I like some of Lenovo's stuff. Also like the Dell XPS stuff (but is also expensive).

My wife's ASUS has been going strong and Acer even has some decent stuff.

https://www.rtings.com/laptop/reviews/best/brands
https://www.rtings.com/laptop/reviews/best/windows
We had Dell XPS units at my last job and they were great, if I was buying something for myself that's what I'd probably go with
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 03:36 PM   #3192
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I find it really difficult to consider a laptop other than a Macbook of some kind.
Uh... really?

Why?

I mean they're nice looking, good screen, good speakers, great keyboard... but the thermal design is absolute garbage to a point where the hardware specs are basically a lie because it wouldn't be stay cool enough to be able to actually use any of it.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 07:29 PM   #3193
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Uh... really?

Why?

I mean they're nice looking, good screen, good speakers, great keyboard... but the thermal design is absolute garbage to a point where the hardware specs are basically a lie because it wouldn't be stay cool enough to be able to actually use any of it.
I don't agree with your statement at all. Sounds like someone has never used an M1, M2, or M3 Macbook which is basically the apex of mobile computing TDP at the moment in terms of thermals and performance and battery life. Even my first gen M1 Macbook just destroys the field for anybody who wants to use a laptop form factor. This coming from someone who has a Surface Pro as well as a RTX 3080 gaming laptop at home.

There's no competition outside of the M series for the ergonomics, functionality, ease of use, and sheer battery life. I'll go to work, running at maximum brightness and forget to plug in the laptop for 8+ hours without breaking a sweat. There is never a fan you hear spinning up. It runs ridiculously cool. It plays Baldur's Gate 3 M1 native at high framerate.

Going to back any other laptop, even a high end ASUS, Lenovo, or metal-bodied Surface device just feels hot and clunky in comparison. Even the keyboard shortcuts and trackpad functionality in Windows or even Linux seem awkward now. I still go back to my OLED ultrawide, keyboard mouse, and Windows gaming PC when I'm at home because you still need that for PC gaming...but I'd take the MacBook in a heartbeat for everything else. It's the best work device I've ever had and I can't see myself ever going back.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 03-23-2024 at 08:07 PM.
Hack&Lube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 07:50 PM   #3194
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

https://www.techspot.com/news/102371...tion-keys.html
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 07:42 PM   #3195
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

the 5700X3d has been a really, really great upgrade
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2024, 10:26 AM   #3196
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Agree, and if I didnt need software that specifically requires windows I would 100% use a mac
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2024, 09:45 PM   #3197
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Agree, and if I didnt need software that specifically requires windows I would 100% use a mac
There's always Parallels or a cloud VM you can RDP to if that helps
Hack&Lube is online now   Reply With Quote