Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2019, 10:34 AM   #21
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
He had a long career with almost 800 games, why is his pension only $1000 a month?
He started drawing it at age 45 and it is reduced as a result. A larger pension is available if one can wait to draw on it until age 65.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:43 AM   #22
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
He started drawing it at age 45 and it is reduced as a result. A larger pension is available if one can wait to draw on it until age 65.
Do you have a link? I know 2 NHL players in their 50's getting pensions a whole lot more than $1000.00 a month
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:46 PM   #23
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do you have a link? I know 2 NHL players in their 50's getting pensions a whole lot more than $1000.00 a month
Sorry, I don't have a link per se. This is just something I heard in a Sportsnet piece a while back.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:53 AM   #24
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Sorry, I don't have a link per se. This is just something I heard in a Sportsnet piece a while back.
I'm told it's possible his ex-wife and kid(s) get some of his pension
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2019, 10:55 AM   #25
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
From what I understand, the official NHL pension system is rather nebulous to understand, its been changed and revamped several times.

But the 'Official Pension' from what I understand isnt all that great and older players were being paid a whole lot less and didnt contribute as much as under several of the more modern structures.

And as with any pension plan, the sooner you start drawing on it the less you get on a monthly basis because it has to last longer which places more emphasis on the individual's own investments for their retirement.

I'd be interested in learning more about it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 11:47 AM   #26
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
From what I understand, the official NHL pension system is rather nebulous to understand, its been changed and revamped several times.

But the 'Official Pension' from what I understand isnt all that great and older players were being paid a whole lot less and didnt contribute as much as under several of the more modern structures.

And as with any pension plan, the sooner you start drawing on it the less you get on a monthly basis because it has to last longer which places more emphasis on the individual's own investments for their retirement.

I'd be interested in learning more about it.
Yeah I was told playing era's were different for pensions but during the 80's and 90's it was a individual pension account and Murphy should be collecting far more than 12K a year after playing 800 games.

It's funny but my source actually played with him for a short period and even on the same line but I won't mention his name