Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-30-2020, 12:35 PM   #4821
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

This guy's videos are hilarious, been nice to have something to laugh about as you watch the toilet flush on America.

Last edited by burn_this_city; 09-30-2020 at 12:37 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 12:37 PM   #4822
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
When was she elected president?
Thought you meant anyone.

Obviously nobody then.

Old 09-30-2020, 12:39 PM   #4823
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

Scientific polling post-debate shows most people thought Biden won. Here is a link to one from Ipsos and 538: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...n-debate-poll/

With that said, unlikely this moved the needle one way or the other in terms of the election. Which I suppose makes this a win for Biden given he has had a more or less stable 5-8 point lead since the summer.

For what that’s worth the leader in the polls this close to an election has gone on to win the popular vote in every election since 1976, though they did lose the electoral college twice (2000 and 2016).
The Following User Says Thank You to Iowa_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 12:39 PM   #4824
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

538 has their Ipsos before/after debate poll out. Pretty much what you'd assume: Biden performed better, but probably not enough to move any numbers. Biden's favorable rating going from 49 to 52 isn't huge, but might be reluctant Biden supporters getting a little more comfortable with him. Similar movement in the opposite direction for Trump, showing some softening in his support.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...n-debate-poll/
The Following User Says Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 12:44 PM   #4825
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInside View Post
Sure, and while I thought Biden was a pretty terrible choice, there has to be a lot of people that went for "something different" that now regret that choice because it's been a disaster.

Then again nothing surprises me anymore.

Regardless of which party you typically vote for, Trump is easily one of the worst, least intelligent presidents of all time.
And you have to ask yourself the question: why have the democrats put up such a flaccid candidate in this situation? I've long viewed Biden as a glass of warm milk that has been left out too long and last night confirmed my beliefs. He cannot articulate himself, is easily flustered and is completely out of touch with anyone considered to be in the working demographic. Trump is what he is and there is no excuse for Biden not being ready to handle that and rise above.

If he weren't going up against Trump it is extremely likely he would get absolutely wiped by the voters. The only reason anyone sees him as a quality candidate is because of the guy he's running against and that makes both choices dangerous in their own unique ways. This is what may actually turn this into a race that goes down to the wire versus what should be an automatic punt out the door for Trump.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 09-30-2020 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:57 PM   #4826
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

And there you have it... "I dont even know who the Proud Boys are."

Guess that's that.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:01 PM   #4827
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Biden should bring signs to the next debate. Just let Trump ramble on and on while Biden puts up signs with his policy.

"While Donald interrupts me and bullies the moderator while he lies to Americans, here is my policy on XYZ"
Or Biden could sit there like a patient, professional candidate and wait for the moderator to handle it. Continuing to be surprised Trump is resorting to these tactics and then allowing ones self to engage in off topic BS benefits nobody but Trump.

Completely shocking that Biden and his team had no plan in place to handle the rabid dog tactics that everyone watching knew was coming. Maybe they did and Biden is just that bad that he can't stick to it...who knows. I'm certainly blown away at the shockingly poor quality of both presidential candidates after what the last 4 years has shown.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 09-30-2020 at 01:03 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hot_Flatus For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 01:01 PM   #4828
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I was thinking the same thing while watchnig it, except my signs were quite a bit ruder, and directed at the clown.
Heh yeah, I'm too passive aggressive for that.

I wonder if Biden will be different in the second debate. If it were me I'd be trying to go with the "return to sanity, empathy" angle, in which case I'd really try to avoid stooping to Trump's level.

Could even be the difference between saying shut up and saying "why won't you let the moderator talk" or "why do you insist on not letting anyone else speak, are you afraid of what I have to say?"
Old 09-30-2020, 01:10 PM   #4829
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Heh yeah, I'm too passive aggressive for that.

I wonder if Biden will be different in the second debate. If it were me I'd be trying to go with the "return to sanity, empathy" angle, in which case I'd really try to avoid stooping to Trump's level.

Could even be the difference between saying shut up and saying "why won't you let the moderator talk" or "why do you insist on not letting anyone else speak, are you afraid of what I have to say?"
This would really all be handled better over video chat with them in different rooms. Then the mod could actually control the mic and interruptions. They could leave the camera on Trump to show him gesticulating like a mad man, but Biden would be able to say his piece. It would be entertaining, and informative.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 01:13 PM   #4830
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just watched the 'highlights' and it blows me away that they don't just cut the mic of whoever isn't playing by the rules. How does the moderator get caught up in an argument with the President? Why wouldn't he just cut Trump's mic when he can't get a question out? Obviously this is what the media wants and they deserve a big part of the blame for whatever the hell that was last night.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to V For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 01:17 PM   #4831
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post

Guess that's that.
Did Trump say this?
Old 09-30-2020, 01:20 PM   #4832
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Biden should bring signs to the next debate. Just let Trump ramble on and on while Biden puts up signs with his policy.

"While Donald interrupts me and bullies the moderator while he lies to Americans, here is my policy on XYZ"
Biden could ask the viewers to mute their TVs, then just start holding up signs.

Trump would run across the stage and stand in front of the signs.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:22 PM   #4833
marsplasticeraser
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Or Biden could sit there like a patient, professional candidate and wait for the moderator to handle it. Continuing to be surprised Trump is resorting to these tactics and then allowing ones self to engage in off topic BS benefits nobody but Trump.
Had Biden sat back like you suggest, the commentary would be that Biden looked weak. Not pushing back also validates what Trump says to many people (admittedly stupid people, but stupid people's votes count too).

The challenge for Biden is walking the thin line that is both assertive and respectful. He did better in the 2nd half, but at the start I think he was surprised by Trumps performance.

The reason Biden didn't nail this, IMO, is Trump's performance was so far outside even Trumps own extreme behaviour. We haven't seen Trump (nor any other politician) behave like this. Did anybody predict this level of performance by Trump?

And this isn't just politics, I haven't seen behaviour like what Trump did in a professional setting in a 20+ year business career. I just think it's something nobody thought would happen.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:23 PM   #4834
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
I just watched the 'highlights' and it blows me away that they don't just cut the mic of whoever isn't playing by the rules. How does the moderator get caught up in an argument with the President? Why wouldn't he just cut Trump's mic when he can't get a question out? Obviously this is what the media wants and they deserve a big part of the blame for whatever the hell that was last night.
Both campaigns and the debate commission need to agree on the debate rules, and the 'no-mute' format apparently came out of those negotiations. (Haven't heard which side pushed that, but I think we can all take a good guess.)

The debate commission has said they're insisting on more structure next time, but that needs to be negotiated, and it's hard to imagine that Trump would agree to a mic-muting, but a more structured question and answer format might come out. If the commission sticks to their guns on mic-muting, Trump may refuse to participate.

(Hell, if I was Trump's campaign, I'd want more structure simply to protect Trump from his own worst instincts.)
Old 09-30-2020, 01:24 PM   #4835
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post

Guess that's that.
He meant Proudfeet

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 01:27 PM   #4836
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
And you have to ask yourself the question: why have the democrats put up such a flaccid candidate in this situation? I've long viewed Biden as a glass of warm milk that has been left out too long and last night confirmed my beliefs. He cannot articulate himself, is easily flustered and is completely out of touch with anyone considered to be in the working demographic. Trump is what he is and there is no excuse for Biden not being ready to handle that and rise above.

If he weren't going up against Trump it is extremely likely he would get absolutely wiped by the voters. The only reason anyone sees him as a quality candidate is because of the guy he's running against and that makes both choices dangerous in their own unique ways. This is what may actually turn this into a race that goes down to the wire versus what should be an automatic punt out the door for Trump.

Because they need someone who can be relied upon to serve their donor class.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:36 PM   #4837
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Who was better than Biden in terms of winning the election? Give me a name.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:38 PM   #4838
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Who was better than Biden in terms of winning the election? Give me a name.
Also - I'm not sure what is meant by this comment: why have the democrats put up such a flaccid candidate in this situation?

Biden won the most delegates in Primary Elections. He was not selected by some secret cabal.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 01:39 PM   #4839
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Did Trump say this?
Yes just a minute ago on the White House lawn. No idea who they are. But they should stand down now too.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:50 PM   #4840
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp: