Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2020, 10:20 PM   #581
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^Drool. Never seen Doug so giddy, one of his favourite cars ever.
Yet he gives it only 72/100, lol.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:44 PM   #582
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
^^Drool. Never seen Doug so giddy, one of his favourite cars ever.
Yet he gives it only 72/100, lol.
72 is a top score using his scale. Most cars he reviews do well in weekend or daily scores but the RS6 gets 7s and 8s in both. To do any better it would need supercar performance and SUV practicality with a compact price.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 07:11 AM   #583
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
I picked up a 911 (996) mostly for the fun of it and now I’m wondering where to get it serviced. Ideally I plan to DD it but I definitely want to get it brought back up to fully maintained before doing so. It’s not a mint car but as long as I can keep it reliable it’s way more car than what you’d get spending the money on something else.

Only problem is I’m pretty bad at wrenching so I need a mechanic for now. Second problem is I’m North of Edmonton so I’ll have to get it serviced there. Anyone up North have a recommendation for a good shop?

Good Calgary shop recommendations are appreciated also if I ened up needing a big service. I feel like the transmission in this car might be pooched, but whatever, the price was right. Edit: went through the search feature and Alpine Autowerks seems to be the place to go in Calgary at least.
I've always had a solid experience with Sheni's Autotrend. They've worked on my E39 M5, E90 335i, 09 V8V, E550, and I'm sure they'll see the V8VS if there's something I cannot do myself.

you&me probably has a better idea having actually owned a P-car.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 08:17 AM   #584
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Love the car, hate the price.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:07 AM   #585
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love the car, but I hate the extreme raking you get on the rear (same thing as with newer Volvos and Mercs). It really kills the practicality factor of the wagon format.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 09:21 AM   #586
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Love the car, but I hate the extreme raking you get on the rear (same thing as with newer Volvos and Mercs). It really kills the practicality factor of the wagon format.
First thing I noticed as well. The rake is certainly more pronounced than the AMG. I'd also say the AMG has more storage capacity back there - based on my eyeball test anyway.

That being said I would've loved the opportunity to have this car as an option last year when I picked up the Mercedes. Maybe I'd be in the Audi instead.
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 11:00 AM   #587
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
I picked up a 911 (996) mostly for the fun of it and now I’m wondering where to get it serviced. Ideally I plan to DD it but I definitely want to get it brought back up to fully maintained before doing so. It’s not a mint car but as long as I can keep it reliable it’s way more car than what you’d get spending the money on something else.

Only problem is I’m pretty bad at wrenching so I need a mechanic for now. Second problem is I’m North of Edmonton so I’ll have to get it serviced there. Anyone up North have a recommendation for a good shop?

Good Calgary shop recommendations are appreciated also if I ened up needing a big service. I feel like the transmission in this car might be pooched, but whatever, the price was right. Edit: went through the search feature and Alpine Autowerks seems to be the place to go in Calgary at least.

Congratulations on the 911! Your driving life has now changed for the better

Unfortunately, I can't really help with any recommendations for a shop in Edmonton as my only experience is having bought a car from Norden (now Porsche Centre Edmonton) and they seemed fine.

As far as Calgary service goes, I'd give the nod to Riegel if you're looking to an indy shop, but honestly, most of my service has been done at the dealer. I don't have any experience my self with Alpine, but know others that, um, go to Riegel.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 11:09 AM   #588
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Your best bet is to sign up with the local Porsche Club of America (which for Edmonton is the Polar Region https://www.pcapolarregion.com/membership/) as you'll typically get good advice from the community.

In Calgary, Alpine and Riegel tend to be the places to go to. I used to go to Riegel with my Cayman, but they started acting a bit more like a dealer, and so I've switched to Alpine. Marc there is pretty old school so nowhere near as polished, but in my dealings has come across being honest and a genuine lover of these cars.
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 11:22 AM   #589
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I've always had a solid experience with Sheni's Autotrend. They've worked on my E39 M5, E90 335i, 09 V8V, E550, and I'm sure they'll see the V8VS if there's something I cannot do myself.
I know many people like them, but I had a pretty underwhelming experience with Sheni. I took a e46 there for a PPI, and their effort level was half-hearted at best (more of a 2-3 minute conversation as opposed to an actual report). The same car they said was in great shape left me stranded 2 days later. I took it to Vitek's after that, and overall had a much better experience (both in terms of service and the perceived work performed).
Old 09-30-2020, 12:23 PM   #590
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I know many people like them, but I had a pretty underwhelming experience with Sheni. I took a e46 there for a PPI, and their effort level was half-hearted at best (more of a 2-3 minute conversation as opposed to an actual report). The same car they said was in great shape left me stranded 2 days later. I took it to Vitek's after that, and overall had a much better experience (both in terms of service and the perceived work performed).
Fair criticism, that sucks.

My most recent experiences with them have been really positive. First, while doing unrelated work they identified an issue (leaking exhaust camshaft magnets) that a very recent visit to Mercedes Benz DTYYC didn't despite them doing my annual service done like a week before going into Sheni. Only when I mentioned to Mercedes that they issue was present did they acknowledge it. Then they said it wasn't covered under my powertrain warranty and wanted $400 for 2 hours of shop time to change two sensors. I changed them in under an hour and the parts cost ~$100.

Second was trying to track down an intermittent exhaust rattle. Mercedes couldn't find it and was completely useless. Sheni's sent me out with one of their technicians, we were able to recreate the noise, identify the root cause and fix the bloody thing.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:36 PM   #591
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Love the car, hate the price.
At $130k US, It’s the same price, more or less, as an RS7 Performance.

Either way, you’re dog is getting to the park faster than his friends.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:44 PM   #592
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
I've also had extensive experience with Sheni and Vitek, and Vitek was far, far and away better in all aspects. When my wife would drop her car off at Sheni he liked to slip in the "Surprise, we replaced your cabin air filter for $150" maneuver.

Vitek's prices were better, he'd offer more alternatives if you didn't want to fork out for OEM parts, but also warn you when that could be a mistake. He was also very supportive with helping on over the phone diagnosis for work I was doing myself, and provided parts at a fair price.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 01:06 PM   #593
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
I've also had extensive experience with Sheni and Vitek, and Vitek was far, far and away better in all aspects. When my wife would drop her car off at Sheni he liked to slip in the "Surprise, we replaced your cabin air filter for $150" maneuver.

Vitek's prices were better, he'd offer more alternatives if you didn't want to fork out for OEM parts, but also warn you when that could be a mistake. He was also very supportive with helping on over the phone diagnosis for work I was doing myself, and provided parts at a fair price.
Just changed the cabin air filter in my CLS550. What a PITA that was. $150 is practically a bargain to not have to do those gymnastics. Unbelievable - taking off torx screws, popping of plastic trim, peeling back carpet...and all under the dash where there is no room to work. You have to be kidding me. Every other car I've done it's the easiest thing ever and usually accessed just through the glove box. If it's anything like mine, he may actually have thought he was doing you a favour hah.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 01:13 PM   #594
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just changed the cabin air filter in my CLS550. What a PITA that was. $150 is practically a bargain to not have to do those gymnastics. Unbelievable - taking off torx screws, popping of plastic trim, peeling back carpet...and all under the dash where there is no room to work. You have to be kidding me. Every other car I've done it's the easiest thing ever and usually accessed just through the glove box. If it's anything like mine, he may actually have thought he was doing you a favour hah.
Well that's just good solid German engineering right there.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 01:23 PM   #595
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Like I said, German cars must be packaged by a Tetris champion for how tight it is to do nearly anything on them.
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 02:22 PM   #596
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Just changed the cabin air filter in my CLS550. What a PITA that was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Well that's just good solid German engineering right there.
My Lexus ES cabin filter requires a gymnastics champion to change it, so it's not only the Germans. Of course the rest of the car is super easy to work on and never breaks.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 02:49 PM   #597
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Haha, while it wasn't totally straight forward, I think it took me 20 minutes or less when I did it myself.

The starter on that car (E46 325 xit), however.... I think they charge 8 hours of shop time, which I thought was nuts, so I'd do it myself. The official method is to either drop the transmission, or remove the intake manifold to gain access. I decided to work blindly and sacrifice my hands to the meat grinder instead. I think I wound up at 6 or 7 hours to undo and redo 3 bolts, and enough of my hands ground off to provide 2 servings of hamburger helper for family dinner that night.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 03:29 PM   #598
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
At $130k US, It’s the same price, more or less, as an RS7 Performance.

Either way, you’re dog is getting to the park faster than his friends.
Yeah but IMO it's Porsche money for an Audi. I feel Porsche is a cut above MB, BMW and Audi and as much as I like the car it exceeds what I would pay for an Audi that's not the R8. They will sell every single one of these so really my opinion doesn't matter here ha ha.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:34 PM   #599
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok so this may sound weird - I went ahead with the Jeep purchase and am quite surprised with how much I like it. But there is still a slight wind leak around the driver door along the removable hard top. The dealer made some adjustments, did some lubricating etc. and its better but not perfect. That may be the way it is for Wranglers.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with a really good body shop that might be able to take the vehicle for a spin and look at the rubber, fittings etc, and provide a second opinion?

Thanks
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 05:04 PM   #600
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Ok so this may sound weird - I went ahead with the Jeep purchase and am quite surprised with how much I like it. But there is still a slight wind leak around the driver door along the removable hard top. The dealer made some adjustments, did some lubricating etc. and its better but not perfect. That may be the way it is for Wranglers.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with a really good body shop that might be able to take the vehicle for a spin and look at the rubber, fittings etc, and provide a second opinion?

Thanks
Are there Jeep Wrangler guides to self mod the door seal to go beyond the OEM seals? It might be worth looking into along side a discussion with a body shop.

For instance, when I owned a beak nosed TL, there were guides on how to do this to imitate the triple seal on the newer Acuras, so followed the guide and purchased the specific type of seals and I did it myself for like $30-40.

https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-...al-diy-938122/
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post: