Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2009, 05:02 PM   #101
Red_Baron
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
You must be a race car driver needing special tires in all conditions.
Its pretty laughable how choked up people get when someone says winter tires are a luxury and not a necessity.
Well I am a drag racer and you guessed it, at the track it's drag tires for me. No excuses, when I play ice hockey I use skates, when I play football I wear cleats and all season tires still suck at everything...
Red_Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:16 PM   #102
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Certainly winter tires are better on snow/ice than all seasons, I don't think anyone os going to argue that.

However, they certainly aren't necessary. I've never had two sets of tires (always had all seasons), and I've never been in an accident. I can drive extra cautious (almost to the point of ridiculousness) for the conditions and still EASILY drive at the pace of the cars around me.

Even if I put winter tires on my car (I may do so in the future when I might be able to afford the extra up front cost a little better), I'll still drive with the same extra caution, because driving on snow without that extra caution is asking for an accident, winter tires or not)

Also, last winter was an aberration, the average winter in Calgary only gives about 10 days at most that you would benefit from using winter tires. Sure, winter tires may be "better" even when the road is dry, but I assume by better, they mean 0.01% better. All seasons will never slip on dry pavement, no matter what the temperature is , except perhaps in the extremest of extremes. Again, Calgary doesn't get those extreme temperatures for extended periods of time where it might make a difference.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to You Need a Thneed For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2009, 05:35 PM   #103
an_album_cover
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post

Also, last winter was an aberration, the average winter in Calgary only gives about 10 days at most that you would benefit from using winter tires. Sure, winter tires may be "better" even when the road is dry, but I assume by better, they mean 0.01% better. All seasons will never slip on dry pavement, no matter what the temperature is , except perhaps in the extremest of extremes. Again, Calgary doesn't get those extreme temperatures for extended periods of time where it might make a difference.
Shyte happens, even during those "10 days". It only takes one incident for winter tires to pay off. If people want to gamble with all-seasons, go right ahead. Truthfully, you'll come out on top most of the time, so all the power to you.

But the same can be said for driving without a seat belt. You could likely do it most of the time without consequence. But you wear it for the rare time it stops you from going head first through the windshield, and you never know when that time might be.

Winter tires are optional for many people only because the law says so. Seat belts were the same way. Had they never been mandated, do you think that by some miracle we'd all be wearing them anyways? Of course not. Some would out of common sense and others would continue not to because it's not mandatory. Really, that's the only leg that non winter tire users have to stand on, because as you've admitted yourself, winter > all-seasons during winter weather, which we do get in case some of you forgot.
an_album_cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:55 AM   #104
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Regarding the cost argument, I look at it like this:

Two sets of tires will wear at roughly half the rate as one set, so over time, aren't you going to be spending the same amount on tires anyway?

I opted to get some cheap steel wheels so I don't have to remount my tires each season. I'm 16 bolts and 30 minutes away from a complete tire change. Those cost $200 in total - there's probably even cheaper out there. For a one-time purchase for the entire life of my car, this is quite reasonable.

As for storage - they occupy about 4 square feet of my garage floor and I hardly notice them. I can understand the predicament for people in apartments, however.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:07 PM   #105
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
All seasons will never slip on dry pavement, no matter what the temperature is , except perhaps in the extremest of extremes.
That is so utterly wrong, I can't believe it's not butter.
Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shazam For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2009, 08:43 PM   #106
drewboy12
First Line Centre

Exp:

couple months ago I had to buy new tires and all i could afford at the time was summer tires.... Cost me $1000 for four, damn low profile tires... So now Im stuck and need to buy winter tires. FML
Old 10-07-2009, 10:43 PM   #107
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just tonight I bought 4 gently used (they honestly look like they were barely driven) winter tires on alloy wheels. In total it set me back $500. I got a bit lucky as they are a perfect fit for my car - bolt pattern, rim size, tire size. So I basically slap them on and away I go. Hopefully not for a few more weeks though...

So definitely check Kijiji and that sort of thing - occasionally you'll get a good match on rims or both tires/rims.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:08 AM   #108
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well this thread educated me on all weathers vs all seasons and I decided to try out the new Nokian WR G2's instead of saving a few hundred bucks and getting "decent" all seasons.

Funky looking tires - I get them installed early next week.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:28 AM   #109
an_album_cover
Backup Goalie

Exp:

^ You will be very happy with those! I have them on my 3-Series and IMO they're the best type of tire for Calgary weather.

I've had them for the last two winters and have never been caught in any jams. I've even gotten out of messes that were claiming trucks and AWD vehicles. Also, they don't shred to pieces on dry pavement, so if you wanted to, you can use them year round (I don't though).

They're pricey, but worth it. I look forward to putting them on every winter because they're actually better in the winter than my summer tires are in the summer. I think I'll throw them on this weekend actually.
The Following User Says Thank You to an_album_cover For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2009, 09:54 AM   #110
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Last season I finally got Winters (cheapo Michelin X-Ice for $80 a tire).

I decided to get them after I couldn't get up a snowy/icy hill. Conquered the hill with the winter tires.

I have to say I'm very pleased with the winter tires and don't regret purchasing them.

It's still an added cost, so I can see why some people won't automatically get winter tires but I think it's a worthwhile investment.

In the end I spent

$78 a tire X 4 = $312
$100 for shipping/duty from the US
$50 for a steel rim x 4 = $200
$40 to get the tires mounted on the rims

$652 total + about 1 to 1/2 hours during the season changes to change my tires.
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:49 AM   #111
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Tomorrow is the big day. I'm getting winter tires installed for the first time and frankly, I can't wait. Last winter was an absolute nightmare for me and my Mazda 3. I can't even remember how many times I had to have someone help push me or dig my car out because of the awful tires that came with the car when I bought it.

I'm thankful for this thread. I was 50/50 last week on if I could get them or not, but with all of the good information, I'm willing to spend the money to get where I need to go. Perhaps if I didn't have to travel far for work, but my office is pretty far from my home. For that reason alone, I think I will benefit from them.

Thanks for the info, all.
I'm in the same boat as you. I've never had them, last winter was a disaster zone and I'm not going through that again. I'm not sure where some of you spent last winter, but I think there were a few more than 10 days of bad driving conditions. Christ, there were more than 10 days of -30 to -40 degree weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
it's also a matter of fact that a lot of people can't afford to buy them.
As mentioned earlier, they increase the life span of your tires to the point that they don't technically cost much at all.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:22 PM   #112
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I should have bought winter tires last year, but I didn't want to spend the money. After getting stuck all the time and not making it up hills I definitely regretted not getting them.

As anyone else with a Mazda 3 knows, the tires that come stock with the car are awful in the winter. I've gone through two winters with the tires and they have been bad both years. Because of that I try to avoid driving when the conditions are bad, but that doesn't always work. One time I was at the mall and it started snowing pretty hard and became quite icy when I was shopping. I had no choice but to drive home and I was white knuckled the whole time as my car struggled for traction. Plus last winter I was getting stuck outside my girlfriends house all the time and I feel like an arse making her push because she can't drive standard. Also being that car that makes everyone miss the light because you can't get traction on a slight incline is embarrassing. My old car with all seasons was almost equally as bad.

People making the argument that Calgary only has a short time when the roads are really bad to justify using crappy tires are missing the point. The majority of the accidents happen during those time periods. Those are the days when having good tires is the most justified.

So because of the awful tires that my car has and reading about winter tires on CP I am getting winter tires mounted next week. Defensive driving in the winter can only get you so far. Avoiding bad weather doesn't work if you are stranded and not being able to stop in a decent distance when you need to (like an emergency) is impossible with defensive driving. I just don't have confidence in my all seasons to be safe on the road.

Thanks CP, you are certainly helping out tires sales this winter.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:23 PM   #113
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

JFC does everybody on this board own a Mazda3?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:49 PM   #114
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I'm currently unemployed and am debating buying winter tires for my wife's 2006 Rav4. The lease on the vehicle is up in July and it does need new tires. But we're still undecided as to whether or not we'll keep it. We do need to drive from Osoyoos to Penticton a fair bit (moreso since the wife needs frequent trips to the doctor right now), but in a typical South Okanagan winter we don't get very much snow. So I wonder if a good all weather tire might be a decent option for us. If I knew for sure that I would keep the vehichle than I'd probably buy the winter rims and tires. But if I don't keep the vehichle...than I'll pretty much be out 100% of the money spent on the tires and rims. When you have no job, and never made much to start with...tough to justify. Damn you cheap ass oil companies ruining my life!
Old 10-08-2009, 02:05 PM   #115
an_album_cover
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
I'm currently unemployed and am debating buying winter tires for my wife's 2006 Rav4. The lease on the vehicle is up in July and it does need new tires. But we're still undecided as to whether or not we'll keep it. We do need to drive from Osoyoos to Penticton a fair bit (moreso since the wife needs frequent trips to the doctor right now), but in a typical South Okanagan winter we don't get very much snow. So I wonder if a good all weather tire might be a decent option for us. If I knew for sure that I would keep the vehichle than I'd probably buy the winter rims and tires. But if I don't keep the vehichle...than I'll pretty much be out 100% of the money spent on the tires and rims. When you have no job, and never made much to start with...tough to justify. Damn you cheap ass oil companies ruining my life!
I'm not really familiar with the type of weather you get over there, but it sounds like an all-weather (not all-season) tire would be a good bet for you. They won't wear out as fast as a dedicated winter, however, they are much better than all-seasons if ever you're caught in snow/ice.

The car already needs new tires, as you mentioned, so maybe just get some good all-weathers, and if you decide to keep the vehicle, you can decide at that point whether you want to run them year round, or swap them out every season.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:18 PM   #116
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
The lease on the vehicle is up in July and it does need new tires.
Normally I say if you are planning on keeping a car less than 3 years it isn't worth it. But in your case, just buy the winter tires, and just decide by April if you are keeping it. In that cae buy another set of all seasons if you decide to keep it, or leave the winter tires on when you bring it back.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:50 PM   #117
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Potentially you could sell the winter tires/rims independently, but you obviously wouldn't get everything back. But you'd get more back than buying new all seasons and returning them with the car when the lease is up.

That's a tough one. I'm a proponent of winter tires, but the general assumption is that you're actually going to own the car for more than just the upcoming winter. The cost is easier to swallow when you can justify it over several years.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:36 PM   #118
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Look for used.

I wouldn't bother with all-weather tires. Although I love them, they're very expensive.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:53 PM   #119
WinColumn
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I agree with everything said about winter tires offering more control over all-seasons. Another good reason to get winters is, it really sucks to have to be stuck behind the guy that can't get going once the light turns green. It only takes a slight incline (or no incline) and an icy intersection to screw up traffic flow. For all the all-season people, don't tell me it's never happened to you. You can control how safely you drive, but you have no control over where you have to stop.

Also, it's great never having to worry about the weather and adjusting your plans due to some snow fall. I can visit friends who live in communities where snow is never cleared and not be worried about asking them to push me out at the end of the night.
WinColumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:05 PM   #120
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

So it's the first snowfall of the year and everybody's already crashing into each other... Idiots.