Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-15-2019, 03:51 PM   #2081
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weird, I get $99, unless I am missing something obvious.

Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 03:57 PM   #2082
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Is that Pirelli a good winter tire? The tread pattern looks suspect like it won't be great in snow.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 03:59 PM   #2083
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I just ordered the same Pirelli tire from Costco. Did my research it is a fantastic tire, but make sure you do your own.

When you put in make model the price jumps to same as Costco. At least my A5 size did.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 04:45 PM   #2084
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, it's weird. If you use my first link(which I got from googling the tire), and select your tire size(as seen at the top of the image), that's what you get. If you go to the main tire page and click through to the product that way, you get the price Sliver had.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:49 PM   #2085
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Well wtf
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 05:42 PM   #2086
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

*From
Old 10-16-2019, 08:05 AM   #2087
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have my winter tires on now. I always use Blizzaks. Never had issues with them and they are great on ice.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rotten42 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2019, 11:27 PM   #2088
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure it's been hashed out here before, but thoughts on studded winter tires?

It's for a secondary vehicle that primarily heads out to the mountains in winter, including forestry roads/secondary highways. Would it be overkill?
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:29 AM   #2089
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

This might help:

https://jalopnik.com/why-studded-win...est-1839069380

Stopping distance is their greatest benefit.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:32 AM   #2090
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have studded tires on one of my vehicles. They do provide a little bit more bite on ice and black ice I find. We get a lot of freezing and thawing in Calgary, as you know, so that’s where they excel. They won’t do anything on snow.

You will notice more noise and vibration at first. Eventually they get quieter, but are still more noisy than non-studded tires. It was $25/tire to add studs, so the cost was nominal.

I don’t regret getting them and may consider getting them on my other vehicle when those tires need replacing, but that’s a few years off.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:47 AM   #2091
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

My wife had studded and she loves them. She won’t go back. She drives an AWD Rav4, and with the studded tires, it’s just an amazing setup
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:23 PM   #2092
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Opinion on All Weather Tires? Can they really stand up against Alberta's winter? I am driving a regular VW sedan, nothing crazy.

I am lazy AF (you guys should know already) and I don't want to swap between all-seasons and winter tires back and forth twice a year...
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:28 PM   #2093
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
Opinion on All Weather Tires? Can they really stand up against Alberta's winter? I am driving a regular VW sedan, nothing crazy.

I am lazy AF (you guys should know already) and I don't want to swap between all-seasons and winter tires back and forth twice a year...
I had Toyo all weather tires on my last vehicle and was very pleased with them...much better than all season.

I have Toyo winter tires on my present vehicle, had them put on week or so ago.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 05:27 PM   #2094
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently they don't work well when it gets below -20, as the rubber isn't as soft as winters. So call in sick those days.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 05:39 PM   #2095
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

I’m a huge proper winter tire supporter.
That said, I have experience with Toyo and Goodyear all-weathers, they do a pretty solid job tbh.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:50 AM   #2096
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I had Nokian all weathers on my old TL and they were fine even in quite a few heavy dumps in the city. Probably fine driving out to the mountains in them with heavy weather for the first 2-3 seasons, but it might be questionable after that when the tread get low. They’d probably still be fine in the city after 2-3 seasons.

There’s a huge difference between all weathers and all seasons though, that’s for sure. I have brand new all seasons on my van and they were complete crap last weather dump. Heck they even skip on dry pavement from a sprightly launch at a light. I’m going to burn through these crappy tires ASAP on long road trips then replace them with all weathers.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 11:02 AM   #2097
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I run all weather on my truck becasue I can use tehm year round and not have to have two sets. They work great, I've always had all weathers on trucks as long as I can remember and never had any issues. That included work trucks that took me to wellsite locations from Ft Nelson to Estevan.

I had a set of all weather Nokians on our GMC Acadia. They were a good tire too but wore extremely fast and we ended up getting a new set under warranty.

Franakly, for Calgary driving where the roads are bare 90% of the year all weather are fine IMHO.

I do have winters on our second vehicle but only changed to them once my kids started driving. It made me feel a little better but to be honest I am also impressed with how good they are (last time I had winter tires on a vehicle was as a kid growing up). Wasn't sold on the idea of needing them in southern Alberta but I would recommend now for sure.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 12:01 PM   #2098
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I have Nokia all weathers, and so far so good. I do have winters though that I will change to next month but being in Calgary, with crazy snowdumps in September or October every 1-2 year, it's great to be able to still drive. Last fall with the snow on my all season my car could not stay on the road at all. If you are going to go with only one set of tire all weathers are the way to go.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 12:03 PM   #2099
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
I have Nokia all weathers, and so far so good. I do have winters though that I will change to next month but being in Calgary, with crazy snowdumps in September or October every 1-2 year, it's great to be able to still drive. Last fall with the snow on my all season my car could not stay on the road at all. If you are going to go with only one set of tire all weathers are the way to go.
Do you get good reception on them, or does it drop off in snow banks?
Old 10-22-2019, 12:10 PM   #2100
hixxes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Big thread, didn't go through it so apologies if this is well covered.

Looking at winter options for our 2019 XT5. Ideally want the winters (Blizzak DMV2) mounted on lower to mid range alloys. A mid-level amount of internet searching hasn't yielded any ideal wheels for the car.

Any recommendations for where to look for wheels? Thanks.
To be shot down in Flames!

Last edited by hixxes; 10-22-2019 at 01:30 PM.
hixxes is offline   Reply With Quote