Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should Don Cherry have been fired?
Yes 287 48.81%
No 301 51.19%
Voters: 588. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2019, 03:25 PM   #1121
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Don Cherry - Could His Time Finally Be Up? [UPDATE] Yes. Fired by SN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
She was all wound up and totally incoherent.

If she teamed up with Don, it could be a great show!

I might pitch this to Rebel News.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:35 PM   #1122
R0taryRocket
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
You are wrong.

The usage of the words "racist," and "racism" is extended beyond mere ethnicity to include prejudice on the basis of regional distinctions as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxford English Dictionary
racist, n. and adj.
Pronunciation: Brit. /ˈreɪsɪst/, U.S. /ˈreɪsᵻst/

a person whose words or actions display prejudice or discrimination on the grounds of race (see race n.6 1b, 1c, 1d). Also in extended use: a person who is prejudiced against people of other nationalities.

So, yes. What Don Cherry said is most definitely racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
The narrow definition of racism to exclude prejudices based on region or nationality is wrong. There is nothing debatable in these points.
I think your extended version of the extended version only creates confusion. By region? My interpretation is this applies if you are specific about a particular region or a group of similar regions. Immigration represents a large diverse range of regions. I think it was pretty clear DC was talking about immigrants when he said, "you people ... come here." What he said was discriminatory and divisive, full stop. You can't argue it, nor should it be supported.

Was it racist? I've heard the argument, and you just KNOW what he meant by "you people." Or, how did he determine who is an immigrant by just walking the streets of Toronto? Thus the argument requires you to make assumptions and put words in his mouth. What about another theory? In terms of geographic distribution, Toronto leads every other Canadian city by a considerable margin when it comes to where immigrants settle (from Stats Canada). So his opinion could have been formed by simply observing a good majority of people in TO not wearing the poppy. Either way, no one knows what he was thinking, other than he was very discriminatory and unfairly singled out a group of people comprised of a diverse range of nationalities. Respectfully, this is where I think TextCritic is not using the term correctly, but I am open to hearing a different opinion
R0taryRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to R0taryRocket For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 03:36 PM   #1123
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My mom is an immigrant. I asked her about the whole Don Cherry saga/debacle. Her words, translated:

"I disagree with him. I think it's funny that other people are telling me what I should be offended about though."

I've asked other extended family. More or less the same comments.

IMO, Cherry was wrong. Should've been fired. You can't say stuff like that in a public position as an employee but that should be the end of it.

The joyful glee I see from some people from the firing is disturbing to me. The 'us' vs 'them', left vs right, you're a snow flake / you're a racist... lowest common denominator style of thinking that is becoming more and more pervasive in Canadian culture is something I'm not used to in this country and is something I don't like.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 03:44 PM   #1124
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Ah, so when I critique your position, it's a "personal attack," and when you do the same, you're quick to defend that your weak definition of "personal attack" actually doesn't apply to your posts. Weird! lol
If you look at my posting history, this thread aside, I make a concerted effort to only address the views expressed and not the poster. I don't even remember poster names, for all I know this is the first time we've debated. I'm not taking anything you say personally. I just would like a counter argument more thoughtful than "you're wrong". I know you think you've elaborated as to my wrongness, but we'll have to agree to disagree there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I'm just playing with you. Call my position that of a six-year-old all you want, it's all good, just a bit phony to play the weak "personal attack" card and act the same way to others.
If you want to take the six year old comment as a personal attack that's fine. I could have probably worded that better. Another poster in this thread (again, not keeping track of names, so don't remember off hand) said much the same thing but without resorting to a comment that could be taken as a personal attack. So I'll defer to that poster however many pages back and retract the six year old comment.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:46 PM   #1125
カナダ人です
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I've read through most of this thread, and contributed my 2 cents.

Saying that, I'd like to point out a positive: most posters here seem reasonable, at least understand why Cherry's comments were inappropriate (even if they disagree with Sportsnet's actions), and are generally empathetic to what new Canadians have to deal with when they come here, and are against the "blame immigrants" rhetoric some people spew. (We're basically all immigrants or descendants of immigrants anyway, etc etc blah blah)

So good on you CP. The conversation didn't (hasn't?) devolve into a classic, roll-your-eyes internet #####storm of hate and trolls and hyper SJWs.

Now I'm off to the E=NG thread for some laughs. Take care my fellow Canadians! (and PRs and visitors!)
カナダ人です is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to カナダ人です For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 03:48 PM   #1126
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
If she teamed up with Don, it could be a great show!

I might pitch this to Rebel News.

Make it a PPV event and donate the proceeds to the Legion.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:56 PM   #1127
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."
- Eleanor Roosevelt
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:57 PM   #1128
ST20
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."
- Eleanor Roosevelt
"You People"

My last comment in here! It's game day so let's talk some hockey
ST20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:59 PM   #1129
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if it is time to move this to the OT side.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 04:09 PM   #1130
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
My mom is an immigrant. I asked her about the whole Don Cherry saga/debacle. Her words, translated:

"I disagree with him. I think it's funny that other people are telling me what I should be offended about though."

I've asked other extended family. More or less the same comments.

IMO, Cherry was wrong. Should've been fired. You can't say stuff like that in a public position as an employee but that should be the end of it.

The joyful glee I see from some people from the firing is disturbing to me. The 'us' vs 'them', left vs right, you're a snow flake / you're a racist... lowest common denominator style of thinking that is becoming more and more pervasive in Canadian culture is something I'm not used to in this country and is something I don't like.
Okay, well fist of all, with all due respect to your mom it's actually perfectly okay for a society of citizens to defend a minority group (say, immigrants).

They're not telling individual immigrants what they should and shouldn't be offended by, that's absurd. They're speaking out against something that is offensive to many immigrants and non-immigrants. Very different things.

Secondly, you grouped "us vs them" into your list of issues that are permeating Canadian culture that you don't like....but that's exactly what Don Cherry was doing, and it's ultimately what got him fired.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 04:14 PM   #1131
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
- Eleanor Roosevelt
I'm very confused about how this quote is applied to the thread. I'm seeing ideas, people and an event being discussed by everyone in here, including you. Are you saying everyone has a great, average and small mind?
Old 11-13-2019, 04:34 PM   #1132
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^^The quote refers to gossip. Which is what this thread and most of the discussion on this matter has become.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 04:37 PM   #1133
jayswin

Exp:

Yeah, I get that. Assuming he posted it directed at people who were opposing him in this thread I was confused as to how it applied to others and not him.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:16 PM   #1134
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looks like there was a small group of protesters outside of Rogers headquarters in Toronto

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2019/11/...-headquarters/

And

https://twitter.com/user/status/1194687935230205954
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:20 PM   #1135
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Double post
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:27 PM   #1136
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Don Cherry comes to mind, actually.
Was that an attempt at humour?

The article was about online discourse.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:36 PM   #1137
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Geeeez... 57 pages?!

Don Cherry hasn't been this topical for the past 12 years...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:39 PM   #1138
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why are people so upset about this he should have been off the air years ago I just dont understand
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:43 PM   #1139
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Why are people so upset about this he should have been off the air years ago I just dont understand
Because everyone assumes they are a good person, but society has now deemed Cherry as "bad", so now anyone who actually agrees with Cherry feels personally attacked as though society denounced them specifically. See: Trump and his bad opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 06:14 PM   #1140
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Okay, well fist of all, with all due respect to your mom it's actually perfectly okay for a society of citizens to defend a minority group (say, immigrants).

They're not telling individual immigrants what they should and shouldn't be offended by, that's absurd. They're speaking out against something that is offensive to many immigrants and non-immigrants. Very different things.

Secondly, you grouped "us vs them" into your list of issues that are permeating Canadian culture that you don't like....but that's exactly what Don Cherry was doing, and it's ultimately what got him fired.
I think you’re either misunderstanding me or twisting my words.

1. My mom did not say it’s not ok to defend a minority group. She found it amusing it’s happening. Mildly offended by it? Maybe. Enough to get a rise out of her? No. I was just trying to share an observation that I thought was interesting.

2. ‘Us vs them’. Again, please don’t misunderstand or twist the meaning of what I’m saying. What I’m saying, to be clearer, is that I don’t like the deliberate division of people and the increasing intensity of it.. Yeah, Cherry got fired for it. That is something I support. Your passive aggressive emoji was unnecessary.

3. One of the tools to divide people is to feel good about punishment. I support the punishment of Cherry but am saddened by it. I’m disturbed by the people who needed it to feel good. Alternatively, I’m also disturbed by the people who are so upset by it it evolves into anger. To be clear, I’m not seeing a whole lot of this behaviour from you or on this board.

I think it’s ok to have conflicting feelings and thoughts about this sort of thing. Which I do.

Last edited by sketchyt; 11-13-2019 at 06:17 PM.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post: