Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should Don Cherry have been fired?
Yes 287 48.81%
No 301 51.19%
Voters: 588. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-2019, 11:27 PM   #1
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:
Default Don Cherry Fired by SN - Poll Added

Tonight he blamed immigrants for not wearing poppies.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1193335939700887552

He’s shared more cringeworthy opinions than I can count but this seems to be gaining traction online. If CBC/SN is put under pressure I wonder if they’ll finally push him out. It would be about time.

**Update**

Post 283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Toronto Sun reporting Cherry has been fired.

https://twitter.com/joe_warmington/s...404655104?s=21
https://twitter.com/user/status/1193974618404655104

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 11-16-2019 at 03:48 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:28 PM   #2
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

God I hope so. Been done with his blowhard ways for a decade now.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2019, 11:30 PM   #3
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yikes, it’s almost as if he’s wanting to get fired at this point.

Note that Ron was nodding at Cherry’s points too
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scorch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2019, 11:30 PM   #4
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh, as a 2nd generation immigrant, i see nothing wrong pushing remembrance day or poppies on everyone. It's not racist, it's not bigotry.

I will say this, however. Good or bad, i think we are going to see a lot less political opinion on neutral media mediums like sports broadcasting.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2019, 11:31 PM   #5
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh Don. Never had anything against Cherry and I actually like him as a CBC icon.

But that was stupid to say and he deserves to be punished.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2019, 11:41 PM   #6
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Deserves to be punished. Internet justice warriors activate.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 12:43 AM   #7
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Deserves to be punished. Internet justice warriors activate.
You really don’t think there’s anything wrong with Cherry calling out immigrants?
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:50 AM   #8
カナダ人です
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The stupid us versus them. I'm born and raised in Canada and don't have a poppy. Come at me Don.
カナダ人です is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 01:05 AM   #9
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

even throws in the "you people" just to make sure there wasn't any doubt in his motives lol
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shogged For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 01:16 AM   #10
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

A-holes that don't respect veterans and wear poppies is hardly restricted to immigrants Don

Jesus Christ. I've still liked Don Cherry but stick to hockey at least, what in the hell was this
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 01:16 AM   #11
Stud_McCool
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I stopped listening to Don Cherry about 10 years ago. Not sure why Don and Ron are still around TBH.
Stud_McCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 01:22 AM   #12
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw this live and didn’t really think much of it to be honest, so I can’t be mad at Ron for nodding. It didn’t really register with me until I watched it again.

Pretty offside comments. I’m glad he supports the veterans and the troops but singling out any one group for not wearing a poppy is stupid.
N-E-B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 01:26 AM   #13
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

double post

Last edited by curves2000; 11-10-2019 at 01:28 AM. Reason: double post
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 01:26 AM   #14
Spinach
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Cherry has become totally incoherent, so it's actually kind of impressive that he somehow managed to get across any point.

But he should be aiming his vitriol at his fellow right-wingers. They're the ones who've been treating veterans wrong by cutting services for them.
Old 11-10-2019, 01:26 AM   #15
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't see anything really really wrong with what he is saying overall. He's an opinion piece and that is what get's paid to do. He has his views which are shaped by his personal upbringing, his conservative, religious and military & first responder first views. He is also 85 years old and that generation also does think a little differently than other age groups.

It's 2019 and everybody shares their views and when it comes to certain things like immigrants or whatever, everybody does it. Just because everybody these days is as fragile as an ice cream cone in 50 degree heat, that's their problem. In my personal and professional life I deal and have MANY MANY relationships and clients who are immigrants or children of immigrants. Everybody has opinions about everything. Deal with it. Off the top of my head SOME of the things I hear about.

Immigrants from many years ago: Always feel a sense of anger, jealousy and resentment over some of the programs and advantages that immigrants coming to Canada these days have. English classes, income support, integration etc, banking and financial privileges. They always talk about how "easy" the newcomers have it now.

Most immigrants and children of immigrants having very very strong views about some of the "messaging" they are being fed with regards to Canada, Canadian culture, history etc. They don't understand the need to "reconcile" with First Nations people when by in large part a lot of the poor decisions made since Canada was founded was by white, powerful male political power players. Generally speaking a lot of them were from the Liberal party and some had names like Trudeau and Chretien.

They also don't understand why so many people in Canada have such addiction issues and struggle with such level of homelessness and despair. They will say things like "Why is it that you don't see too many (insert ethnic or religious group) too often homeless or collecting welfare at the Drop in Center etc??

I get it that in 2019 we gotta fire and jump onto everybody's throat for everything that somebody says. Don Cherry is just saying what a lot of people are thinking when it comes to Canadian culture and values. Some of the people that Cherry is so worried about who don't wear poppies also have their own strong opinions about life in Canada too!! Thats ok! Isn't that what we fought over? The right of freedom and liberty? Well sometimes in life you gotta break some eggs to make an omelette, that's ok! Don't get all worked up.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 01:34 AM   #16
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
I don't see anything really really wrong with what he is saying overall. He's an opinion piece and that is what get's paid to do. He has his views which are shaped by his personal upbringing, his conservative, religious and military & first responder first views. He is also 85 years old and that generation also does think a little differently than other age groups.

so just to be clear, you're defending him by saying that, because he's old and conservative, its alright that he shares his racist sentiments on national television?
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to shogged For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 01:35 AM   #17
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think he should be fired or anything, I can't stand the new thing where any time someone says something you don't agree with they need to lose their job.

But that doesn't mean it's okay to just single out immigrants for not respecting remembrance day. There's plenty of people born here that disregard it too

Last edited by btimbit; 11-10-2019 at 01:37 AM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 01:36 AM   #18
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
You really don’t think there’s anything wrong with Cherry calling out immigrants?
I’m not going to say he is right or wrong, but he is known to be controversial and this is not anything new from him.

Well, he is a second generation Canadian born from immigrants and has spoken as well about Irish heritage.

His father served his new country in the military and he is proud of that.

The Legion sells poppies and proceeds help out veterans and family members in need.

Canada played important roles in the World Wars and his statements seem consistent with his family immigrant history and with his consistent advocacy for veterans

Another poster noted that a-holes that don’t respect or honour veterans are not limited to immigrants. That is true and evidenced not far from here.

I’d be embarrassed to proudly step up and say I am against buying poppies and supporting veterans.

I can’t agree entirely with the approach but have seen many more upsetting things, and it’s the internet and the warriors will activate as they see fit.
Old 11-10-2019, 01:40 AM   #19
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogged View Post
so just to be clear, you're defending him by saying that, because he's old and conservative, its alright that he shares his racist sentiments on national television?
I don’t think you are using the most impactful word in your post correctly there, friend.
Old 11-10-2019, 01:53 AM   #20
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

which word?