Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2019, 11:08 AM   #1
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Applying for a Schengen Visa in Calgary

The Mighty CalgaryPuck Forum, I (actually my friend) ask for your help.

My friend, a permanent resident here, needs to apply for a Schengen Visa in order to travel to EU countries. We found out that he can apply with any of the EU Schengen countries' consulate such as Germany, France, Spain, etc.

But here comes the kicker - there is a personal interview step where the applicant will have to go to the consulates in person, and most of these countries' consulates are in Vancouver.

So the question comes if any one here knows how can someone apply for a Schengen Visa in Calgary and don't have to travel to Vancouver (or other cities) for an interview?

Thanks
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 11:18 AM   #2
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Germany has a consulate here. Not sure if they do those, but you could check.

https://canada.diplo.de/ca-en/vertre...suls/-/1213768

EDIT: oh, wait, it says right on that page they don't do Visa's...maybe they could do the interview part?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 11:42 AM   #3
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you friend is a PR, can he not get a Canadian passport? Or is that only for citizens (not sure of the rule).

If he has a Canadian passport, you get your visa stamp at passport control.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 11:57 AM   #4
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

It looks like if you need to apply for a visa, then you have to do it at the embassy or consulate of the country they will be arriving at. I don't think there is anything in Calgary.

The other question I suppose is the country that they're a citizen of still have visa-free travel to the Schengen area?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 12:13 PM   #5
GrrlGoalie33
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
If you friend is a PR, can he not get a Canadian passport? Or is that only for citizens (not sure of the rule).

You need to become a Canadian Citizen before you are eligible for a Canadian passport.
GrrlGoalie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrrlGoalie33 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2019, 01:46 PM   #6
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post

PR ≠ Canadian Citizen, thus no Canadian passport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
The other question I suppose is the country that they're a citizen of still have visa-free travel to the Schengen area?
If he has a passport that doesn't need the Schengen Visa, then we don't even have this problem to start with

Anyways, based on some quick internet searches, it seems the closet place to get the visa is in Edmonton (there is a full Italian consulate there, I guess E=G for once). There are offices for many countries here in Calgary, but none of them handle visa processing AFAIK

So, if there are some insider information or pro-tip about not needing to leave Calgary to get the visa done, let me know.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:56 PM   #7
Qwerty
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I had a friend need that about 10 months ago and he had to do the day drive up to Edmonton. I think that is the closest and best option
Qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Qwerty For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2019, 11:51 PM   #8
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

My wife did her Schengen visa in her home country, Uzbekistan, applying through the Spanish embassy in Moscow. No interview was required, but a whole lotta documentation was. Maybe your friend could have better luck doing it through their home country remotely, maybe try contact one of these agencies that do visas. She used one and they ensured everything in the application was just right to minimize chances of rejection.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:30 PM   #9
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hi

Sorry I just noticed this thread
About 10 years ago I had to apply for a working holiday Visa for the Netherlands. There was a consulate downtown by the Devonian Gardens where I went in person. Would that work for your friend?

LChoy
Old 10-31-2019, 09:44 AM   #10
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!

Exp:

My wife is a PR resident and we went to Europe last year. We applied online for a request for Visa and had to go down to Edmonton for an in-person interview which was more of a show me your itinerary and if you have the funds and have your return ticket booked.

She got her visa stamped on the passport within 5 business days.

ClubFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ClubFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2019, 11:10 AM   #11
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubFlames View Post
My wife is a PR resident and we went to Europe last year. We applied online for a request for Visa and had to go down to Edmonton for an in-person interview which was more of a show me your itinerary and if you have the funds and have your return ticket booked.

She got her visa stamped on the passport within 5 business days.
Did you go to the Italian consulate in Edmonton to get this done? And did your wife left her passport with them after the interview and they mailed it back to you few days later (so you don't need to travel again to collect it)?

Also, this maybe a stupid question. I suppose this Schengen visa is a one-time only visa. Every time you are going to Europe you will need to reapply and go through the whole process from scratch again?
Old 11-03-2019, 12:31 AM   #12
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

They'll usually give you one-year of validity. Definitely not a one time only thing.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote