Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2019, 11:45 AM   #101
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a relative who plays in the national program. Watching her play in the various camps over the years at Winsport, it always amazed me at the complete lack of interest in the woman's game. The Canadian U19 team would be playing the US U19 team, so the top players in the world with free admission, and other than family and friends of the players there isn't anyone watching. My mother even pointed out when my 6 year old son played in a tournament at Winsport that there was more people watching that than our relative's games at the same location.

Even after some of the team USA vs Canada U19 or even the Womans Fall Festival at Winsport. I would wait around after for a visit. I would see numerous teenage girls getting dropped off for hockey practice at the front door. They could have just watched some of the best woman in the world play for free at the same facility they are playing in and I bet they knew nothing about it.

Canada does do a good job of supporting the Woman's National Team at various games spread through out the country during the year. But a woman's pro league would be so watered down compared to a Canada versus USA game. The only way I see a woman's pro league existing, is if it's heavily subsidized.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:53 AM   #102
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’d also suggest that a women’s league might do better in satellite cities. So they are the local team for, say, Airdrie or Okotoks, and can draw from the locals for core support, but can draw from interested people in the city. Every big city has such exurbs. And many have decent enough facilities for a league like this.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2019, 12:00 PM   #103
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think an annual World Cup tour or league would work. One of the weaknesses of the men’s game is that international games do not really work because of scheduling conflicts with the NHL.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 01:32 PM   #104
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster View Post
Agree to disagree at this point.
"Agree to disagree" is not an escape plan for when you are objectively wrong.

Anyway, A major problem for any pro league of this level is going to be travel. It's just not going to work with a Western Canada presence. You'd be best off starting largely in the GTA, becoming entrenched, then growing.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2019, 01:38 PM   #105
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
"Agree to disagree" is not an escape plan for when you are objectively wrong.

Anyway, A major problem for any pro league of this level is going to be travel. It's just not going to work with a Western Canada presence. You'd be best off starting largely in the GTA, becoming entrenched, then growing.
Kind of like an original six idea. Toronto, Montreal, Detroit, Boston, New York. Something like that.
Old 12-13-2019, 01:39 PM   #106
GrrlGoalie33
First Line Centre

Exp:

It is a plan for when it feels like both sides are beating a dead horse and opinions aren’t going to change. We can debate all day long both repeating our existing opinions and accomplishing nothing, but wasting each other’s time.
GrrlGoalie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 02:10 PM   #107
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

It's not a difference of opinion, Frankster. Your argument is objectively wrong as a matter of fact.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2019, 02:13 PM   #108
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_baby_burn View Post
Kind of like an original six idea. Toronto, Montreal, Detroit, Boston, New York. Something like that.
Not even that. Consider more the original markets when the NHL formed: Montreal, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City. When Quebec quickly dropped, the furthest outposts were Toronto to Montreal at a 7 hour train ride.
Old 12-13-2019, 02:20 PM   #109
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not even that. Consider more the original markets when the NHL formed: Montreal, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City. When Quebec quickly dropped, the furthest outposts were Toronto to Montreal at a 7 hour train ride.
Good point, but a US franchise or two might need to be added to the mix.
Old 12-13-2019, 02:50 PM   #110
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
Pro women hockey MAY work if they do it in a tour / tournament style where the league has say 6 or 8 teams, they all go to a host city for weekend games, and every week they rotate the host city.

So let's say all Canadian NHL cities have a women's team, we can have a tour schedule of like Vancouver on Week 1, Calgary on Week 2, Toronto on Week 3, and so on.

That could keep the interest (and attention span, and spending) of fans of the cities, for example each year there will only be 1 or 2 weekends of women's hockey in your city. People may treat this as a one-time annual event, rather than follow a team for 20/30 home games a year.
I brought up this idea in a similar thread several months ago, My other suggestion was to go to a 3 on 3 format which would offer something different then trying to compete with mens hockey.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:02 PM   #111
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
the attendance for women's hockey league is pretty easy to find... and its not good.

CWHL:
Boston 215
Toronto 179
Brampton 166
Alberta 107
Burlington 97
These are super old numbers as 3 of those teams no longer exist and you're missing 3 teams.

And they are unreliable as the Pointstreak program didn't require us to input the actual attendence so I often just left it blank.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to craigwd For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2019, 08:28 AM   #112
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The NWHL claimed these as average figures for 2018-19. This is on an 8-game home schedule per team.

Minnesota: 1,200
Buffalo: 1,101
Riveters: 721
Boston: 706
Connecticut: 423
Old 12-16-2019, 12:28 PM   #113
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The NWHL claimed these as average figures for 2018-19. This is on an 8-game home schedule per team.

Minnesota: 1,200
Buffalo: 1,101
Riveters: 721
Boston: 706
Connecticut: 423
yeah, its tough to find numbers when no one cares to the point there isn't a lot of sources to take into account...

according to CBC the CWHL has been in existence for 12 years, which is longer than i would have thought...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/canad...ions-1.5080123

anyways... i can't see the NHL burning money to support a league that can barely stay afloat, but who knows...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:20 AM   #114
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This is how you build a foundation of support

https://www.wnba.com/news/wnba-and-w...ing-agreement/
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:38 AM   #115
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think a factor in the lack of popularity is the full cages they all wear. Seems minor but when you have 10 players skating around in full cages there is no individuality there, no personality, you can't see the person, you just see 10 random people.

If they copied from the NHL I believe there would be more interest. No full cages, add some physicality (to what extent I don't know), and perhaps above all we need the rest of the world to catch up. Which is slowly happening as well.

As of right now, its not the same game as mens hockey, to me thats where the issue is.

Sort of like why the CFL is so far behind the NFL, its just not as fun to watch. Its neutered in comparison.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:44 AM   #116
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they want men to watch they need to allow hitting and I agree, take off the full cages.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 11:36 PM   #117
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Tonight in Victoria I went to see Canada play the US. First off I had fun. I enjoyed the game and Canada won in OT.

Saying that it was really Lame to see the game ramp up a couple times leading to a more physical game. Great right, nope cause the aggressive play lead to some contact and penalties cut the physical play shortly after.
Still fun, but they need to allow more physicality in the game.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 12:02 AM   #118
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

It took 70 odd years for the NHL and most other sports to pay a living wage, if you were a soccer player in England in the 50's and 60's you were subsidizing your meager wages with a second job
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 12:19 AM   #119
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

They could always try the LFL model

afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2020, 07:47 AM   #120
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
It's not a difference of opinion, Frankster. Your argument is objectively wrong as a matter of fact.
Let me re-word Frankster's point, if I am seeing it correctly:

His claim isn't that Calgary is worse than other places at supporting other forms of hockey than top-tier-pro. His claim is that the support isn't huge, and this is backed up by the fact that the arena is mostly empty.

"Ahh, but 6000 people at a Hitmen game is better than the Brampton Beavers draw, so support is high!"

No. That's the wrong conclusion. The better conclusion to draw is that even in a hockey-mad large center like calgary, interest in hockey other than top-tier pro is limited, and it's even more limited anywhere else. There isn't enough interest here, and the objectively weak (numbers) attendance rather than the subjecively strong (we get more people to the rink than the Sarnia Shinglers or whoever prove that.
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote