Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2019, 11:33 AM   #41
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go Flames go!
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:48 AM   #42
BigErnSalute_16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
See the biggest issue with Czarnik IMO has been his lack of a fit on a line, rather than a lack of skill.

He hasn't been able to work with Ryan as his center, because the line would end up being collectively too undersized. We saw this play out the same way for Dube as well. Mangiapane fit because he's stockier than the other two.

He hasn't been able to work with Backlund as his center, because that line has such heavy defensive responsibility.

Most of his success last year came on a line with Bennett and Jankowski, but Janko was our worst center 5v5 by far last year. I was strongly advocating Bennett at 3C and still am, as I think this would get the most out of Czarnik.

Could Czarnik work with Gaudreau and Monahan? They defintely have less responsibility than thr Backlund line, so possibly. You do end up undersized on the wings which might make breakouts difficult, but it's worth experimenting with. Pittsburgh pulled it off a few years ago with Sheary-Crosby-Guentzel.

But the line I'd most like to see for Czarnik's positives to outweigh his negatives would be Mangiapane - Bennett - Czarnik.

I think Czarnik is a strong forechecker.

He's not a pure two way player, but neither were Hudler or Ferland.
I am also on the Bennett to centre boat but Ryan was so effective last year I'd rather just go Mang - Ryan - Bennett. If they were to go Mangiapane - Bennett - I would still prefer to see Dube in the other spot over Czarnik. I have a very had time finding a spot for him.
BigErnSalute_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 12:10 PM   #43
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I watched last time on an ipad and it was fine.

Same. Apart from a couple audio hiccups, the feed was decent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johnhitbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 12:12 PM   #44
Mitt31
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post
8 d-men.

Will Gio, TJ, or Hamonic see ice time in the third period?
I’m sure TJ will get lots of looks in the third as I’m sure they will be paying close attention to him and wanting to showcase him for a trade

"I'll have to photocopy that for my kids.
One day, I'll be trying to talk hockey and they'll be saying, 'The game has passed you by, dad.' I'll be able to say, 'Ovechkin's on it, and he's still lighting it up.' " - Jarome Iginla
Mitt31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 12:12 PM   #45
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhitbox View Post
Same. Apart from a couple audio hiccups, the feed was decent.

For you (and others who had a good stream)

Were you watching on Facebook or the Flames site? Same feed but wonder if there was a difference in stream quality?

That or everyone else has super seeing and I need my eyes checked.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 12:16 PM   #46
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched on my TV and the quality was fine.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 12:18 PM   #47
Toonage

Exp:

#### it, I'm booking an eye exam.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2019, 12:19 PM   #48
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was hoping to see Mangiapane in this game. I hope his hold out didn't damage his opportunity too much- it's his own fault, but the flames would be much better if he built on the end of his last season and saw success early.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 12:22 PM   #49
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigErnSalute_16 View Post
I am also on the Bennett to centre boat but Ryan was so effective last year I'd rather just go Mang - Ryan - Bennett. If they were to go Mangiapane - Bennett - I would still prefer to see Dube in the other spot over Czarnik. I have a very had time finding a spot for him.
I'm beginning to think that Jankowski is better off on the wing.

He's not great on faceoffs;
He doesn't have good puck protection and possession skills;
He's not the fleetest of foot;
He's not particularly competitive.

What he does have is a great shot, which I think he'd be able to use it more if he weren't the focal point of the line as a centreman. Like if he could just float into a scoring area and receive a pass from a centreman.

I think Bennett is probably a better centre than Jankowski for all those reasons listed above. There is some concern that you lose some of Bennett's forecheck and hitting as a centre, but this didn't stop Mike Peca from being an effective centreman.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:33 PM   #50
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:
Default Sharks @ Flames 7PM MT Sportsnet 960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post

Were you watching on Facebook or the Flames site? Same feed but wonder if there was a difference in stream quality?

iPad, using safari on the flames website. Nothing special. As long as your connection was decent, it should have been fine.

Fixed for the visually impaired.

Last edited by Johnhitbox; 09-18-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Johnhitbox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnhitbox For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2019, 12:41 PM   #51
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Flames site for me.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 12:42 PM   #52
Toonage

Exp:

Appreciate the feedback. Must be an issue on my end but everything else streams ok. Oh well. I will survive.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2019, 12:44 PM   #53
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Appreciate the feedback. Must be an issue on my end but everything else streams ok. Oh well. I will survive.
FWIW my internet at home is usually good and I have a brand spankin' new iPad.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:02 PM   #54
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post

What he does have is a great shot, which I think he'd be able to use it more if he weren't the focal point of the line as a centreman. Like if he could just float into a scoring area and receive a pass from a centreman.

I think Bennett is probably a better centre than Jankowski for all those reasons listed above. There is some concern that you lose some of Bennett's forecheck and hitting as a centre, but this didn't stop Mike Peca from being an effective centreman.
I think Jankowski may be better on the wing as well, but not because Bennett would be a better centreman. I don't think Bennett has shown the vision or puck distribution to be a particularly good centre. Would be happy to be wrong going forward, but he seems best suited on the wing, crashing and banging on the forecheck and knocking in a few rebound goals.

Jankowski to the wing if they are able to move Lindholm to centre. Failing that, Jankowski as 4th line centre is fine. He might show some improvement on face-offs and overall offence, but I am certainly not counting on it.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:11 PM   #55
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post

Too add to that ... I've wondered for a while if the reason Jankowski excels on the PK is due to the structure and definition of being in a box. If so then playing his wing would be a better fit. I think he struggles on the reads to play center.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:21 PM   #56
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I can't agree on the first one. Czarnik's biggest weakness to me is a lack of will to play in dirty areas, including the corner. When he actually does it, he can be effective - I've seen it too. But he doesn't do it very often.

Hudler was an OK forechecker for his size and speed. Ferland was all about the forecheck, at least the phsyical aspect. But more to the present point, the top line had its best year ever when Lindholm was added, because he is a dog on bone forechecker, and he provided defensive responsibility on the backcheck.

I see Dube is on the top line tonight and, to me, he is a lot closer to Lindholm in style than Czarnik is.
I agree; Czarnik is great in the pre-season but becomes a perimeter player when the going gets tough.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:24 PM   #57
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Facebook stream looked better than the Flames site for me...cast from PC to 75" TV

I thought it looked okay until I flipped over to the Victoria game on cable, looked a billion times better.

Calgary game was watchable though, beggars can't be choosers I guess
Old 09-18-2019, 01:26 PM   #58
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
I agree; Czarnik is great in the pre-season but becomes a perimeter player when the going gets tough.
He had good moments during last season...problem is consistency, same is most young players. Was one of the better players in game 5 (biggest game of the season)

Not sure why some are so quick to dismiss him, prime candidate to be one of those guys who becomes really good some place else if we get rid of him.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:41 PM   #59
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

pretty big audition nite for Dube and Phillips.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:43 PM   #60
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking forward to seeing Dube on the top line. Hopefully over next few seasons he's a top 6 winger. Would give the Flames some really good options at using Lindholm at center if him, Mangiapane, Bennett etc can find a way to the top 6.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pepper24 For This Useful Post: