Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2019, 09:10 PM   #161
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Bingos fancy stat analysis is basically exactly the same as what out of town number crunchers are saying, so I think you're just wrong there. Really so is the rest of what he's saying. It might be worded a bit more positive, but there's no real difference in actual content.

Having just today spent a couple of hours reading/listening to various out of town opinions, I would say neutral(ish) hockey analysts tend to kind of side with the glass half full people.

Yes Neal is much more likely to bounce back so Edmonton likely "wins the trade", yes Lucic has a terrible contract from a buyout perspective, but Lucic does make more sense as a depth player, so if Calgary wasn't going to buy out Neal then this trade does save some cap space and a lot of real dollars.

That's what the "glass half full" people are mostly saying on CP too.
Around 1/25th their share of the cost of their new arena in real dollars. It's not an insignificate amount of money by any stretch.
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlamesFanTrev For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2019, 08:40 AM   #162
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanTrev View Post
Around 1/25th their share of the cost of their new arena in real dollars. It's not an insignificate amount of money by any stretch.
It definitely matters.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:47 AM   #163
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poster View Post
For all the glass half full supporters, let me ask.

If the Canucks traded for Lucic, would any single one of you be not laughing at them? Canucks fans would pull out all the advanced stats and other rationalizations that Flames fan are using now and it would be entirely dismissed as nonsense.

This is a terrible contract and there is no way around that not too mention Flames got almost nothing for helping the Oilers out of a major problem.

This is how BAD they wanted Neal out of the dressing room, period.
I'd be laughing at Edmonton too though, they'd have Eriksson.

And no I wouldn't dismiss the advanced stats, I read Staples article before the trade, looked it up and went "wow ..." as I didn't know.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:48 AM   #164
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poster View Post
Alright folks. If you are ok being hypocrites, go at it!
You had quite the day in the arena and Lucic discussions!

But get over yourself. How often do you see people saying Lucic is a good hockey player? Predicting 20 goal seasons? Was Neal lauded as a great player the day before the trade? Those things are hypocritical against previous assertions.

A crap for crap trade that brings both teams something they miss is what this is. You're forgetting the crap going the other way.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2019, 09:31 AM   #165
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Neal was so bad last season that this can only be a win imo.

That's honestly the only way I look at this trade. It's a win in my eyes cause we were able to exodus a longer anchor contract of a pouter that didn't give 2 chits for a guy that appears (time and on ice effort will tell) at the very least to care and be welcomed with open arms.

My goodness I thought we'd be stuck with James for a while...Thank you Tre! Thank you!!

Goodbye Neal. Good riddance.
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:35 AM   #166
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I don't see anyone saying this is Lucic from 5 years ago. This more about Lucic's bad contract fits better for the Flames in the bottom half of the roster than Neal's bad contract with him not fitting into the bottom 6 (or anywhere for that matter) or worst case, sitting in the press box. If Neal was sitting for an elimination playoff game I don't think it would be a stretch that he would have spent time eating popcorn this up and coming season.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:40 AM   #167
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Buying out Neal was probably not an option for Treliving if he wanted to keep his job so adding that he was probably a cancer in the room , Neal had to go and Edmonton was the only taker.
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:53 AM   #168
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaMatt View Post
Well you do you, but if Transplant99 has the opinion above, should he not be able to say without being hounded so relentlessly that we haven't heard from him since?

...hounded by the exact same people who agreed with him (only a few weeks earlier) that Neal was more likely to turn it around than Lucic.
Have you seen T99's post history? He will be back, he can't stay away from stirring the pot on here.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote