Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2019, 01:32 PM   #21
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
Hate this ####ing #### of a ####ing trade. Dealing with the Oil without a clear ####ing win is just pouring Oil on the Flames.. Lol. Would like to be glass half full but we have spent all of this time watching Milan be so lousy in Edmonton and laughing about it, Stats or not. ####ing #### of a trade.
*Pouring oil on Flames results in stronger burning Flames
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2019, 01:32 PM   #22
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
I think Lucic will be an improvement on Neal

But I also think a simple Neal buyout was a better course of action and the cap savings could have been better spent than bringing in Lucic. Optics probably took this option off the table unfortunately.

The Oilers effectively spending 6.5mil on who I consider to be the worst player in the NHL (can’t do anything effectively) is the silver lining here for me.
Until they buy out Neal next year and are out of cap trouble thanks to the Flames
Old 07-21-2019, 01:44 PM   #23
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Until they buy out Neal next year and are out of cap trouble thanks to the Flames
The Oilers have 13 free agents at the end of this season. Only 4 are RFA. They’ll get themselves back into salary cap trouble regardless of how the handle Neal.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leeman4Gilmour For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2019, 02:21 PM   #24
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

People need to be prepared for this to be a good trade for both teams, and accept that Neal bouncing back in Edmonton won't affect the trade from the Flames perspective, as he wasn't going to improve in Calgary playing on the 3rd line with a ****ty attitude.

Lucic should make the Flames bottom 6 marginally better that Neal, adding an extra dimension to the Flames (in doing so, saving Hamonic from having to drop the gloves or the team playing a guy like Peluso), and is slightly cheaper. So that's a technical win regardless of whether Neal scores 20 or 30 goals.

Last edited by Mike F; 07-21-2019 at 02:23 PM.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2019, 02:22 PM   #25
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Carrying a dead cap-hit of $1,916,667 for the next 6 seasons doesn't exactly help their cap out, plus the $750K they're carrying for the duration of Lucic's contract. In total, if they were to buy-out Neal after this season, they'd be carrying a $2,666,667 cap-hit because of this trade. Meanwhile, we'll still have an effective 3rd line NHL'er.

Seems good to me!
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2019, 02:27 PM   #26
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've come to terms with the trade. The Flames were going to have a player on a bad contract in any event, either Neal or Lucic.

I do wish that they had given Neal one more year to get his poop in a group, it feels like they have sold low.

Lucic is a better fit in the bottom six, and partially makes up for the loss of Hathaway.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:55 PM   #27
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Six years of dead space at 1.9M isn't exactly a gift.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2019, 02:58 PM   #28
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
*Pouring oil on Flames results in stronger burning Flames
Yeah I know, I used it in the vein of burning out of control.. In a bad way.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:44 AM   #29
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Excellent article, good deductions. I agree. Neal had to go. They weren’t buying him out. Lucic does add toughness we need. Lucic is a better fit on the bottom two lines.

I tried making lines earlier this summer and I legitimately couldn’t fit Neal in. Mangiapane or Dube deserve Neal's ice time.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 08:54 AM   #30
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Great job, Bingo- always appreciate your analysis and your even keel perspective.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:09 AM   #31
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Excellent article, good deductions. I agree. Neal had to go. They weren’t buying him out. Lucic does add toughness we need. Lucic is a better fit on the bottom two lines.

I tried making lines earlier this summer and I legitimately couldn’t fit Neal in. Mangiapane or Dube deserve Neal's ice time.
This is the thing for me. Every time I look at the lineup, I get to Neal, and can't find a place for him. I don't dislike him. I wasn't hating his presence on the team or anything. I just couldn't figure out where he fit.

Because he didn't.

Not thrilled to be adding Lucic. Would have liked to have seen more return from moving Neal. But the bottom line is that moving Neal costs this lineup nothing.

And if he was a dressing room problem, then moving him is a positive.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 09:12 AM   #32
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Personally, I get the sense that Treliving was told what kind of deal he could make, if it was possible. He had to shed the contract and save some money in doing so. No going and getting Turris for $6M with an additional year. Maybe he was told to make this specific deal. But I wouldn't be chocked if this trade was made for him, so to speak.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:20 AM   #33
BrennyBaller
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The Flames are not a cash spending team. They have an internal rule that they can't exceed cash over cap. The cap is to be the cash budget.

In this trade, the flames save around $10M in cash that they can use to front load the Tkachuk contract if needed.

Someone in the Flames org said that Tre & Co. were absolutely ecstatic about this trade for the above reasons, but also called it the B.O.S trade - Bag of $h!t for Bag of $h!t
BrennyBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BrennyBaller For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 09:22 AM   #34
Iggy599
Farm Team Player

Exp:
Flames

The Flames are better off with Lucic over Neal with how this team is built there is no question about that. The problem I have is it is basically 1 for 1 which doesn't make a lot of sense to me. We took on a guy who was widely considered untradable and did not get anything to sweeten the pot. If it was a 3rd outright I still think that may have not been enough. Overall I have trust in Tre I hope it works out.
Iggy599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:26 AM   #35
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Remember when Neal was benched in a do or die game in the playoff because he just couldn't keep up, couldn't impact the game positively and was well below replacement level and had his give a #### meter set to zero?

Good riddance.
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Boy Wonder For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 09:38 AM   #36
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrennyBaller View Post
The Flames are not a cash spending team. They have an internal rule that they can't exceed cash over cap. The cap is to be the cash budget.

In this trade, the flames save around $10M in cash that they can use to front load the Tkachuk contract if needed.

Someone in the Flames org said that Tre & Co. were absolutely ecstatic about this trade for the above reasons
, but also called it the B.O.S trade - Bag of $h!t for Bag of $h!t
I think this is a bigger factor in the trade than fans realize/consider.

Half a million a year in cap savings is great, and will help a lot. But also having a suitcase full of cash in the trunk, may prove extremely valuable in the Tkachuk negotiations.

What really surprises me about this deal, is that Katz agreed to it. He is the big loser in this trade - and by a wide margin. And he doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would agree to that. Makes me wonder if he knew what this deal actually cost him.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:49 AM   #37
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

^ Maybe this is a good example that Holland really does have autonomy
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:00 AM   #38
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy599 View Post
The Flames are better off with Lucic over Neal with how this team is built there is no question about that. The problem I have is it is basically 1 for 1 which doesn't make a lot of sense to me. We took on a guy who was widely considered untradable and did not get anything to sweeten the pot. If it was a 3rd outright I still think that may have not been enough. Overall I have trust in Tre I hope it works out.
I think by July 19th Treliving was realizing that Neal was untradable too.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 10:33 AM   #39
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

As a comparison, here is what Natural Stat Trick has for numbers using standard and routine adjustments (score and venue) compared to the numbers in the table within the article from Bingo's database:

Neal
CF% 50.6 -> 50.9
SF% 47.8 -> 48.2
xGF% 48.5 -> 48.8
HDCF% 48.1 -> 48.5

Lucic
CF% 50.7 -> 50.4
SF% 48.5 -> 48.2
xGF% 49.3 -> 48.9
HDCF% 49.2 -> 48.8

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 10:34 AM   #40
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Well written and balanced article, thanks.

One thing tat can't be overstated: "Brad Treliving knows what he's doing". And I would add: "and he does it as thoroughly and methodically as anyone".

The numbers have been crunched, and the scenarios have been considered. And he came to the conclusion that this move improved his team. I agree.

I think, somewhat ironically perhaps, that, as a trade of bad contract for bad contract, this trade will actually help both teams.

He sold low on Neal (likely out of necessity), but he also bought low on Lucic. Should add even more spice to the BOA!
So true, IMO, and why I don't go along with the posters who believe this was a desperation move by Treliving. I don't think he does anything in desperation. Evaluating all of his options (which he knows more about than any poster here) he'll make the best move that is open to him. While posters can disagree with whether it was a good move or not, I find it difficult to go along with them when they say there were better options out there and that he made the decision out of desperation.
D as in David is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post: