Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Best goalie prospect of the two?
Gillies 171 49.28%
Ortio 176 50.72%
Voters: 347. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-22-2014, 08:43 AM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Summer 2014 Prospect Ranking Goalie Run Off

since they slotted so close in round 9, a true one off to firm up the rankings
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:43 AM   #2
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

My vote is for sale, CP.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2014, 08:46 AM   #3
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ortio again for me.

I have a feeling this will be close as well.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:46 AM   #4
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ortio is currently further along in his development, but Gillies has more upside so I went with Gillies.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:48 AM   #5
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

^ Same. I stuck with Gillies.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:48 AM   #6
Read Only
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

As I said last time the two goalies have the same upside (ok starter in the NHL) but because Ortio has already shown he can play pro hockey his floor is much higher than Gillies so I went with Ortio.
Read Only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:50 AM   #7
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Gillies has higher upside. Wait till he gets some pro experience.

saXon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:54 AM   #8
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm pretty torn on them to be honest. I think they are both great prospects and can hopefully be a great duo in the future. Right now I give the edge to Ortio just for experience and dramatic improvement in his game.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:57 AM   #9
FeyWest
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm with Gillies, as much as I like Ortio, Gillies just has an air about him that makes me want to stick with him, he even occupies my sig . I'd love if both pan out to being amazing goalies and we run a 1a/1a tandem

*Edit* All tied up again I see!
"As far as I'm concerned I take it one day at a time because if you look too far down the road that's when you get yourself in trouble. You've gotta enjoy the process and not be burdened by the outcome." - Jon Gillies
FeyWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:59 AM   #10
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I went with Gillies but only because I think he has the higher potential. Not much separating these two IMO.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:00 AM   #11
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Gilles for me, but at this point there is no right answer. I also like Ortio.

I think it is awesome that we have two goalie prospects that look as good as they do. Hopefully at least one of them has a long and successful career for the Flames with multiple Vezina trophies awarded to him.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:07 AM   #12
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Went with Joni Ortio. No disrespect meant to Gillies, but I prefer Ortio's style and love the fact that he has developed into an elite starter in the AHL.
Savvy27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:08 AM   #13
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saXon View Post
Gillies has higher upside. Wait till he gets some pro experience.
Does he have more upside? I'm not honestly convinced its that transparent. Ortio went through a low spot in his development two or three years ago and rebounded quite nicely. He had a couple of terrible prospect camps and went to Finlnad to improve. It paid off.

Fillies had an off season last year and while I am quite high on him I'd like to see how he rebounds to his low spot in his development before I could peg him as having a higher upside. In compassion between the two I still think Ortio has the edge in this years vote but that can change next year.

Its tough tossing around votes for players that have more than a year separating them development wise.

But like I said, this year, Ortio is the guy that has higher upside.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:09 AM   #14
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

LOL, 22-22. Split directly down the middle so far. Oh CP, why are you making this so hard?
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:10 AM   #15
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gillies has had more success earlier.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:15 AM   #16
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Flames Fan View Post
LOL, 22-22. Split directly down the middle so far. Oh CP, why are you making this so hard?
It's definitely going to be very close again, just like yesterday. This run-off is brought to you by the Redundant Department of Redundancy.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2014, 09:33 AM   #17
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Been high on Ortio for a long time, and was very disappointed with his first short stint in North America. However, seems he is more than back on track. I still think his upside is very high. Gillies and even MacDonald seem like higher-end legitimate goalie prospects as well, just like Ortio a little bit more.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:38 AM   #18
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

You know it's a funny thing. Ortio was barely even rated last year because of his very poor first North American showing. Everyone had written him off as a depth filler in our prospect pool and nothing more, mostly because they hadn't watched him in Europe slowly hone his game. Now he has one very good year and he's our top goalie prospect.

Gillies has done nothing but be very impressive save for a short stint at the WJC which everyone saw and then a subsequent mediocre month, following which he found his "A" game again.

You'd think that everyone would be more forgiving of a small bump in the road after watching Ortio massively fail and then regain his form. I really like Ortio, but I would consider even putting McDonald ahead of him as a better potential goalie.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:45 AM   #19
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Flames Fan View Post
You know it's a funny thing. Ortio was barely even rated last year because of his very poor first North American showing. Everyone had written him off as a depth filler in our prospect pool and nothing more, mostly because they hadn't watched him in Europe slowly hone his game. Now he has one very good year and he's our top goalie prospect.

Gillies has done nothing but be very impressive save for a short stint at the WJC which everyone saw and then a subsequent mediocre month, following which he found his "A" game again.

You'd think that everyone would be more forgiving of a small bump in the road after watching Ortio massively fail and then regain his form. I really like Ortio, but I would consider even putting McDonald ahead of him as a better potential goalie.
As junior aged players both Ortio and Gillies looked very good. Ortio struggled in his first trip to North America but has rebounded to put up great AHL numbers. For me, they were similar as junior aged guys and Ortio's showing last year puts him a step ahead.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:45 AM   #20
FeyWest
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don't understand why some seem to think Gillies had an off season, there certainly was a string of games where he struggled after the WJC's (Injury, slump, etc... not sure what) but the guy posted 8 shutouts which is a PC record (9 if you count his s/o over Quinnepiac) over his 5 from the previous season, sure his GAA 2.16 is higher than 2.08 (-0.08) but he had equivalent SV% of .931.

He showed he can battle through adversity and come out as strong as ever. I just don't think fell back developmentally like some. It's not directed at you dammage you just catalyzed it, I've heard a few posters in other forums say the same when I just don't think it's true at all.
"As far as I'm concerned I take it one day at a time because if you look too far down the road that's when you get yourself in trouble. You've gotta enjoy the process and not be burdened by the outcome." - Jon Gillies
FeyWest is offline   Reply With Quote