Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2019, 07:18 PM   #241
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Jedi View Post
What a warm and welcoming place this is. Far from a troll but keep on hating and thinking you are better than others. I live in the now not the early 70’s. And Star Wars is exactly what it should be despite what, again, middle-aged people on the internet want to proclaim it is.
Warm and welcoming? You opened by putting down 75% of the age group on the board. Look in the mirror kid.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2019, 09:27 PM   #242
SmoggyFlamesFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Everyone is free to have their own opinion. Doesn’t change the hypocrisy shown in slagging the Coilers then lining for the past.

And doesn’t change that a jersey designed in the early 70’s being brought back isn’t anything but playing to the nostalgia factor of middle-aged fans with disposable income.

I feel the Flames should move forward but $$ talks so retros will be the New Jersey style for the second decade of the 21st century. I’ll be over them after 2 periods of play.
Okay, number 1: There is nothing wrong with the Oilers Jersey. How they look is a matter of opinion, but I have no qualms with their retro designs. Their new Orange and Black one is straight trash, and may as well be a practice jersey from a design standpoint.

Number 2: E=NG. They are stuck in the past about how they sre so great with their 5 cups and their dynasty years. They are stuck in losing mentality that starts from the very top. Their fans are in denial about how truly awful the team is, and constantly refer back to the glory days of the 80s.

Number 3: Alot of NHL teams have executed homages to the past in the new Adidas cuts, and even prior. Ex: Toronto St. Pats or even most recently, the Hartford Whalers. The canucks are doing their flying skate even. I respect your opinion if you don't like the jersey, but it is certainly not a "fad" as you would suggest.

Last edited by SmoggyFlamesFan; 09-21-2019 at 07:53 AM.
SmoggyFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SmoggyFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2019, 09:33 PM   #243
SmoggyFlamesFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
What a warm and welcoming place this is. Far from a troll but keep on hating and thinking you are better than others. I live in the now not the early 70’s. And Star Wars is exactly what it should be despite what, again, middle-aged people on the internet want to proclaim it is.
Off topic, but even as a millenial, the last jedi ruined star wars. Disney has completely ruined star wars by trying to pander to the 20% and ####ting on the die hard 80% hardcore fanbase. Sorry for derailing this thread further.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:46 AM   #244
The Last Jedi
Lifetime Suspension

Touchy subject for a vocal minority I see. I won't apologize for having my own opinion. One I've carried since 2010 when the "retro" fad began with this team. Frankly I feel the organization held out as long as they could trying to generate revenue through other streams, namely a pitiful 3rd that just reeked of boardroom ideas as to what makes Calgary what it is until finally going the full retro, look at our brand new and improved thing we didn't even come up with 50 years ago cash grab. Just because other teams are doing it doesn't make it any better. There have been some utterly terrible retro jerseys and not just from the clowns to the North.

I never said I didn't like the jersey so don't put words into my posts that aren't there. I said it was fine for special occasions. As a full time jersey it's tacky and dated as the retro 70's/80's throwback phase is becoming very played out.

But continue to attack me as a person, call me a troll and profess your love of Star Wars while all you do is crap on it. Nothing makes this kid of the 80's who was teased, tormented and bullied because he never gave up his love for Star Wars happier than seeing all the "fans" who've done nothing for 20 years but bash the thing they profess to love so much and rewrite history to discredit the creators. Your hate didn't stop me then and it won't stop me now or ever.
The Last Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 05:08 AM   #245
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m 25 and I think the retros are awesome and The Last Jedi (the movie) sucks, so we can squash that “angry middle aged men” narrative.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 06:02 AM   #246
Twitchy15
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I’m 27 and excited for the new white retro
Twitchy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 06:56 AM   #247
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Touchy subject for a vocal minority I see. I won't apologize for having my own opinion. One I've carried since 2010 when the "retro" fad began with this team.
First of all, I have no idea what you're talking about with your timeline of a "retro fad", and second, dude what? A decade would not be a 'fad'

Also, people aren't attacking you because you have a weird opinion. They're attacking you because you're obnoxiously full of your own supposedly superior opinion.

You have a minority opinion that you think the classic Flames colours don't look good. That's fine. It's just ridiculous that you try to paint it as somehow an "objective truth" while labeling everyone who disagrees with you as some sort of a troglodyte.

It's also such a weird hill to die on. I mean, the classic Flames colours consistently rate high in non-Flames online polls and lots of non-Flames fans have say the "retros" should be the main colours when ever they see them. It's just a good, classic, combination of colours, and that has absolutely nothing to do with nostalgia.

(Personally I would love a jersey with the classic colours but with a bit more modern design. There were some real beauties in the jersey thread.)
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 07:46 AM   #248
SmoggyFlamesFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Touchy subject for a vocal minority I see. I won't apologize for having my own opinion. One I've carried since 2010 when the "retro" fad began with this team. Frankly I feel the organization held out as long as they could trying to generate revenue through other streams, namely a pitiful 3rd that just reeked of boardroom ideas as to what makes Calgary what it is until finally going the full retro, look at our brand new and improved thing we didn't even come up with 50 years ago cash grab. Just because other teams are doing it doesn't make it any better. There have been some utterly terrible retro jerseys and not just from the clowns to the North.

I never said I didn't like the jersey so don't put words into my posts that aren't there. I said it was fine for special occasions. As a full time jersey it's tacky and dated as the retro 70's/80's throwback phase is becoming very played out.

But continue to attack me as a person, call me a troll and profess your love of Star Wars while all you do is crap on it. Nothing makes this kid of the 80's who was teased, tormented and bullied because he never gave up his love for Star Wars happier than seeing all the "fans" who've done nothing for 20 years but bash the thing they profess to love so much and rewrite history to discredit the creators. Your hate didn't stop me then and it won't stop me now or ever.
I don't think that anyone on this board hates you for having a different opinion. This is a discussion board where literally all we do is discuss different opinions. It's calling out other users, thinking your opinion is more valid than other's, and victimizing yourself where people start having a problem. No one here is bullying you, or ganging up on you. I have mentioned before that I respect your difference in opinion. No one is going to respond well to you when you challenge several members on this board, and then play the victim when they don't react favourably.

Last edited by SmoggyFlamesFan; 09-21-2019 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:47 AM   #249
The Last Jedi
Lifetime Suspension

Again, putting words into my posts to make your incorrect points more valid doesn't help your argument. The Dome isn't filled with vast numbers of retro jerseys. If my opinion were the minority of actual fans and not the small microcosm that is CalgaryPuck then you would see that reflected in reality. But continue to insult me, proclaim I am just a troll who spent a month sending emails and twitter messages and PMing the mods to have my account verified with the sole purpose of pointing out the hypocrisy of many posters who love to slag Edmonton for living in the past and then shout out they want to live in the glory days of the Flames past.

Nice jersey for a special event. Terrible idea for a full-time set. Flames and Star Wars fan till I'm gone and no amount of bullying in person or online has or will ever change that.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:50 AM   #250
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Is bullying in person an option? How come I’m just hearing about this now? How does it work? I PM you and we arrange a mutual agreeable time and place, and then we both show up so I can bully you? Are all CPers part of this arrangement or is it an opt-in only type deal?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 12:05 PM   #251
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I love the retros. Part of that might be nostalgia, but we've also had some garish modern jerseys for a while now featuring bright blue shoulder flag patches and ugly black piping for a while too. Plus the failure of a 3rd Cowboy style jersey. So in comparison I can see why the cleaner retro jerseys are favoured by almost everyone I hear / read opinions from.

It's definitely not limited to just Flames fans either. I see on other generic NHL forums that the average hockey fan considers the Flames retros to be one of the best in the NHL.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2019, 12:30 PM   #252
SmoggyFlamesFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Again, putting words into my posts to make your incorrect points more valid doesn't help your argument. The Dome isn't filled with vast numbers of retro jerseys. If my opinion were the minority of actual fans and not the small microcosm that is CalgaryPuck then you would see that reflected in reality. But continue to insult me, proclaim I am just a troll who spent a month sending emails and twitter messages and PMing the mods to have my account verified with the sole purpose of pointing out the hypocrisy of many posters who love to slag Edmonton for living in the past and then shout out they want to live in the glory days of the Flames past.

Nice jersey for a special event. Terrible idea for a full-time set. Flames and Star Wars fan till I'm gone and no amount of bullying in person or online has or will ever change that.
Good grief, you're exhausting. Are you always the victim in your mind?
Old 09-21-2019, 12:34 PM   #253
The Last Jedi
Lifetime Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I love the retros. Part of that might be nostalgia, but we've also had some garish modern jerseys for a while now featuring bright blue shoulder flag patches and ugly black piping for a while too. Plus the failure of a 3rd Cowboy style jersey. So in comparison I can see why the cleaner retro jerseys are favoured by almost everyone I hear / read opinions from.

It's definitely not limited to just Flames fans either. I see on other generic NHL forums that the average hockey fan considers the Flames retros to be one of the best in the NHL.
And people believe the Hartford Whalers jersey to be one of the best hockey jerseys ever.

It is far from it.
Old 09-21-2019, 12:36 PM   #254
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And people believe the Hartford Whalers jersey to be one of the best hockey jerseys ever.

It is far from it.
According to you, that's one opinion.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 01:02 PM   #255
The Last Jedi
Lifetime Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoggyFlamesFan View Post
Good grief, you're exhausting. Are you always the victim in your mind?
Didn't you play the victim to the evil Disney destroying your vision of Star Wars completely off topic to attack my username in a thread that had nothing to do about Star Wars?

Yeah don't look at what's written because it points out deficiencies in your argument and rather just attack what you feel slighted by. Let the hate flow through you.

Last edited by The Last Jedi; 09-21-2019 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:05 PM   #256
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Let the hate flow through you.
The face of a Jedi.

The demeanour of Jar Jar Binks.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2019, 01:09 PM   #257
The Last Jedi
Lifetime Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
The face of a Jedi.

The demeanour of Jar Jar Binks.
Again more of the same. You can't defend the Flames fans pining for the "glory ears" while bashing Edmonton for doing the same so you attack the poster.

I've made my opinion, backed up with the fact the Dome is full of non-retro jerseys and "average" NHL fans don't spend their time on message boards. You do you and live in the past being hypocrites with your panties in a bunch because you've been called out on it.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:13 PM   #258
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames fans are not pining for the glory years, they are simply stating which jersey design they like. If you can't see the difference between that and the way Oiler fans do in fact pine for the glory years, that's on you.

Also presenting a 'fact' (you don't actually have proof, but we'll ignore that) to support a conclusion which is an opinion, does not turn the conclusion into a fact.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2019, 01:20 PM   #259
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Retros are great for smaller consumption.
The Flames next redesign should build on the clean retro look, but make it look unique on its own.

The complaint back in the early 90s were that there was too much red with the pants and socks, that the Flames looked like "skating blood clots". So they used black for the sake of black, and also to split up the visual of the entire uniform. But that was lazy marketing and design and it's been 24 years of black in the uniform, and that has contributed to cluttered designs to include all those elements.

So eliminate black, and design a jersey, and uniform, with red, yellow and white only. If it means a new secondary crest, a different font for the name and number, and striping that isn't a direct copy from the retro, so be it.

Last edited by browna; 09-21-2019 at 01:22 PM.
browna is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2019, 01:24 PM   #260
The Last Jedi
Lifetime Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Flames fans are not pining for the glory years, they are simply stating which jersey design they like. If you can't see the difference between that and the way Oiler fans do in fact pine for the glory years, that's on you.

Also presenting a 'fact' (you don't actually have proof, but we'll ignore that) to support a conclusion which is an opinion, does not turn the conclusion into a fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post
Why so agest?

Yes, they make these jerseys to sell them. The jersey is reflective of the best years in Calgary history. Lots of people will buy them. How is this a bad plan?

Finally - the Oilers are made fun of because their laser tag jersey is horrible, and E=NG.

Like with Star Wars, people love to complain about the things they pretend to adore but don't actually read/watch.

Carry on, internet.